Kingston ValueRam observation

Just as a follow up to my question, I installed 2x256 DDR 400 modules in my
4600 and they worked like a charm. Now I did make sure that both sticks were
identical memory manufacturers and that may account for the lack of problems
as well. Just happy that it worked since they were on sale and had a rebate
to boot (bad pun). FWIW the sticks were both Infineon which I have used
before and seem to work equally as well as Micron.

Regards,
John O.

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> Just as a follow up to my question, I installed 2x256 DDR 400 modules in
> my 4600 and they worked like a charm. Now I did make sure that both sticks
> were identical memory manufacturers and that may account for the lack of
> problems as well. Just happy that it worked since they were on sale and
> had a rebate to boot (bad pun). FWIW the sticks were both Infineon which I
> have used before and seem to work equally as well as Micron.
>
> Regards,
> John O.

I saw Kingston (purple label) in a new Dell recently (PC2700 or 3200). I do
not recall having seen Kingston among the brands they've used in the past,
but I might be wrong.

Infineon DIMMs have been used in Dell systems for quite a while, or at least
I've seen very many of them.

Stew

Thanks for that information Stew. I believe that I have seen Infineon as
well but did not know they were using Kingston as of late.

Regards,
John O.

> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> Just as a follow up to my question, I installed 2x256 DDR 400 modules in
>> my 4600 and they worked like a charm. Now I did make sure that both
>> sticks were identical memory manufacturers and that may account for the
>> lack of problems as well. Just happy that it worked since they were on
>> sale and had a rebate to boot (bad pun). FWIW the sticks were both
>> Infineon which I have used before and seem to work equally as well as
>> Micron.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John O.
>>

> I saw Kingston (purple label) in a new Dell recently (PC2700 or 3200). I
> do not recall having seen Kingston among the brands they've used in the
> past, but I might be wrong.
>
> Infineon DIMMs have been used in Dell systems for quite a while, or at
> least I've seen very many of them.
>

> Stew

As I have stated several times over the objections of others, Dell uses
commodity memory like everyone else. Infineon. Kingston. Micron. What's the
difference? ... Ben Myers

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:47:28 -0400, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:

>Thanks for that information Stew. I believe that I have seen Infineon as
>well but did not know they were using Kingston as of late.
>

>Regards,
>John O.
>

>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>> Just as a follow up to my question, I installed 2x256 DDR 400 modules in
>>> my 4600 and they worked like a charm. Now I did make sure that both
>>> sticks were identical memory manufacturers and that may account for the
>>> lack of problems as well. Just happy that it worked since they were on
>>> sale and had a rebate to boot (bad pun). FWIW the sticks were both
>>> Infineon which I have used before and seem to work equally as well as
>>> Micron.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John O.
>>>

>> I saw Kingston (purple label) in a new Dell recently (PC2700 or 3200). I
>> do not recall having seen Kingston among the brands they've used in the
>> past, but I might be wrong.
>>
>> Infineon DIMMs have been used in Dell systems for quite a while, or at
>> least I've seen very many of them.
>>

>> Stew

They will go with whichever brand gives them the best price and can supply
in the quantities that Dell requires. Though with the recent European ruling
and settlement with Infineon and others, Dell may be less than thrilled with
their "partners" for RAM.

Regards,
John O.

> As I have stated several times over the objections of others, Dell uses
> commodity memory like everyone else. Infineon. Kingston. Micron.
> What's the
> difference? ... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 20:47:28 -0400, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for that information Stew. I believe that I have seen Infineon as
>>well but did not know they were using Kingston as of late.
>>

>>Regards,
>>John O.
>>

>>"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message

>>> I saw Kingston (purple label) in a new Dell recently (PC2700 or 3200).
>>> do not recall having seen Kingston among the brands they've used in the
>>> past, but I might be wrong.
>>>
>>> Infineon DIMMs have been used in Dell systems for quite a while, or at
>>> least I've seen very many of them.
>>>

>>> Stew

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

S.Lewis wrote:

> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Just as a follow up to my question, I installed 2x256 DDR 400 modules in
>>my 4600 and they worked like a charm. Now I did make sure that both sticks
>>were identical memory manufacturers and that may account for the lack of
>>problems as well. Just happy that it worked since they were on sale and
>>had a rebate to boot (bad pun). FWIW the sticks were both Infineon which I
>>have used before and seem to work equally as well as Micron.
>>
>>Regards,
>>John O.
>
> I saw Kingston (purple label) in a new Dell recently (PC2700 or 3200). I do
> not recall having seen Kingston among the brands they've used in the past,
> but I might be wrong.
>
> Infineon DIMMs have been used in Dell systems for quite a while, or at least
> I've seen very many of them.

Infineon is the German manufacturer who was just fined $160 million for
trying to fix DRAM prices (not really a Dell issue, of course).

They and others of the "memory" cartel are in the same boat. Samsung and
some others are going to be following with similar fines. I have to believe
that folks like Dell and HP are somewhat less enchanted with their memory
suppliers such as Infineon and Samsung.

Good memory but bad business decision.

Regards,
John O.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> S.Lewis wrote:
>
>> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>>Just as a follow up to my question, I installed 2x256 DDR 400 modules in
>>>my 4600 and they worked like a charm. Now I did make sure that both
>>>sticks were identical memory manufacturers and that may account for the
>>>lack of problems as well. Just happy that it worked since they were on
>>>sale and had a rebate to boot (bad pun). FWIW the sticks were both
>>>Infineon which I have used before and seem to work equally as well as
>>>Micron.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>John O.
>>
>> I saw Kingston (purple label) in a new Dell recently (PC2700 or 3200). I
>> do not recall having seen Kingston among the brands they've used in the
>> past, but I might be wrong.
>>
>> Infineon DIMMs have been used in Dell systems for quite a while, or at
>> least I've seen very many of them.
>
> Infineon is the German manufacturer who was just fined $160 million for
> trying to fix DRAM prices (not really a Dell issue, of course).

Here is the link for that news blurb. And for those who are wondering,
Infineon, Micron, Hynix, and Samsung are all under investigation. So other
settlements and judgments are coming.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/15/infineon_pricefix_fine/

> Here is the link for that news blurb. And for those who are wondering,
> Infineon, Micron, Hynix, and Samsung are all under investigation. So other
> settlements and judgments are coming.
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/15/infineon_pricefix_fine/
>
> Regards,
> John O.

I can't help it - the label "memory cartel" just cracks me up...

Has anyone turned the lights off at Rambus yet, or are they still present in
any new hardware platforms?

Stew

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

S.Lewis wrote:

> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>
>>Here is the link for that news blurb. And for those who are wondering,
>>Infineon, Micron, Hynix, and Samsung are all under investigation. So other
>>settlements and judgments are coming.
>>
>>http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/15/infineon_pricefix_fine/
>>
>>Regards,
>>John O.
>
> I can't help it - the label "memory cartel" just cracks me up...
>
> Has anyone turned the lights off at Rambus yet, or are they still present in
> any new hardware platforms?

OMG, Rambus! Haven't thought about them in ages. Did any major PC maker
other than Dell ever use their memory?

Nothing new on the RAMBUS front lately. Dell, Gateway, and IBM used RAMBUS in
desktop/tower systems. RAMBUS showed up in servers, too. And the RAMBUS
company keeps flogging away on its lawsuits against major memory manufacturers,
claiming royalties for its patents derived from RAMBUS technology. Intel has
abandoned RAMBUS, and Intel was its best friend with the 820 and 850 chipsets.

DDR has proven less expensive to manufacture than RAMBUS, which did not deliver
acceptable cost/performance ratios for the mass market... Ben Myers

Ben Myers wrote:
> Nothing new on the RAMBUS front lately. Dell, Gateway, and IBM used RAMBUS in
> desktop/tower systems. RAMBUS showed up in servers, too. And the RAMBUS
> company keeps flogging away on its lawsuits against major memory manufacturers,
> claiming royalties for its patents derived from RAMBUS technology. Intel has
> abandoned RAMBUS, and Intel was its best friend with the 820 and 850 chipsets.

Too bad the Rambus people couldn't have a little more flexibility with
their pricing.

It's more than pricing flexibility. Apparently the process to produce RAMBUS
memory is more expensive. Add the royalty payments for RAMBUS. Add the
absolutely nasty lawsuits. You have a recipe for failure, with 99.99% of the
computer industry pissed off at them. Not much RAMBUS memory is produced any
more, so the street price will remain high for some time into the future.

.... Ben Myers