no hard drive space

There is something wrong with my hard drive. My hard drive is 4.74 gb and
when i first got my computer i had around 1500 mb space left and including
windows office pack. Now i only have around 200 mb no office pack because i
uninstalled it for personal reasons. and i only have 2 programs installed msn
messenger and windows media player.I don't know what took up all the rest of
the space. please help me.
By David

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Is the drive partitioned? if so then you must have partitioned it wrong so
you left small amount on the C drive and all the rest goesd to the other
partition... the system must have used your c drive as a "page file" (swap
file) to conpersate for lake of memory (not enoth RAM) and it keep doing
that...
try ajusting the amount of the "page file" to maximum x2 the amount of your
RAM ie: 256RAM => 512 for Page File...
to do this:
Right click My computer>properties>Advanced tab>under "Performance" choose
"Settings">go to Advanced tab> under "Virtual Memory" click "Change">choose
the drive (c:)>choose "Costume size"> under "Initial size" change the value
to at least 100MB more then the "Recommended" (you can see it in the
botom)>under "Maximum size" change the value to the max that you allow win to
use (say 1000 MB = 1G *** Put much lower value if you got less then 512 Of
RAM).
Hope it worked, good luck :)
--
:|||***Klingon INC***|||:

"Today is a good day to die"

Hi,

Perhaps the hotfix and service pack uninstall files may account for a lot of
this. First, you must set Windows Explorer so that you can see hidden and
system files. Go to the Control Panel/Folder Options, and on the View tab,
set the options so you can see hidden and system files. Specifically:

Enable (check) "Display the contents of system folders"
Enable (check) "Show hidden files and folders"
Disable (uncheck): "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)"

I also recommend that you disable (uncheck) "hide extensions for known file
types". Now, open Windows Explorer to C:\Windows. Do you see a bunch of blue
(compressed) folders beginning with $Nt....? If so, these are the uninstall
folders for Windows Updates, and can take up considerable space. They can be
safely deleted if you aren't going to be removing any of the updates. This
should regain some space for you.

Frankly though, you might want to consider a larger drive, as I wouldn't
install XP on anything less than 5GB, and generally recommend 10GB or better
for most people.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"dpacovski" <dpacovski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There is something wrong with my hard drive. My hard drive is 4.74 gb and
> when i first got my computer i had around 1500 mb space left and including
> windows office pack. Now i only have around 200 mb no office pack because
> uninstalled it for personal reasons. and i only have 2 programs installed
> msn
> messenger and windows media player.I don't know what took up all the rest
> of
> the space. please help me.
> By David

"dpacovski" <dpacovski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> There is something wrong with my hard drive. My hard drive is 4.74 gb
> and when i first got my computer i had around 1500 mb space left and
> including windows office pack. Now i only have around 200 mb no office
> pack because i uninstalled it for personal reasons.

Make sure that there is no Norton-/Symantec software ("Protected Bin")
maltreating your system. Next, download and install "TreeSize":
http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

--
d-d

=?Utf-8?B?ZHBhY292c2tp?= wrote:

> There is something wrong with my hard drive. My hard drive is 4.74 gb and
> when i first got my computer i had around 1500 mb space left and including
> windows office pack. Now i only have around 200 mb no office pack because i
> uninstalled it for personal reasons. and i only have 2 programs installed msn
> messenger and windows media player.I don't know what took up all the rest of
> the space. please help me.

Sounds normal. BTW a 4.7 gig drive should have never had XP on it. Way
too small.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/