How come 533 FSB to 800 FSB made P4 alot faster?

Unseen

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003
Kind of a newbie question. But I never quite understood how come 800 mhz FSB made so much difference compared to 533 mhz FSB. I don't think there were was too much difference from 400 to 533 bus with 133 mhz increase, but a 266 mhz FSB increase really improved performance. I would have anything too with cpu arhitecture or something?

533 mhz bus P4 clocked speed seemed to be even with Athlon XP's ratings performance, but those 800 FSB kills the same rating athlon xp. Any explanion would be helpful!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by unseen on 11/18/03 08:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

eden

Champion
To be honest 800MT FSB is really not that much IMO.
Even with PAT, 50% more bandwidth shouldn't have only yeilded about 10-15% more performance. I feel the chipsets were never worked on to their best. Once again, RDRAM at 6.4GB/sec would've likely kicked arse.

As for the 800MTs killing the AXPs, it's only logical if they're better than the 533MT ones no?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
AMD revised their rating system late in the game to make it better for them and worse for you. The 3200+ would have been rated as a 2600+ on the original rating system I think. Also, Intel's DDR chipsets got better at the same time as the 800 bus was released.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Well, we're about to see - hopefully in the next few weeks - what a 9.6Gb/s RDRAM memory architecture is capable of... :evil:

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

eden

Champion
It does beg the question: Is the best i845, the PE 800, THAT worse than Springdale?
I mean, were there that many optimizations?

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>This just in, over 56 no-lifers have their pics up on THGC's Photo Album! </b></font color=blue></A> :lol:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
R659 been annouce by the way rambus make some test a bit faster that I875.
they got some mice feature also

Rimm 3200/4200/4800 and on future chipset and future FSB Rimm 6400 yes 200 mghz ram cell on rambus.

Read ahead cache buffer a cache memory in the chipset that use prefetching on the extra bandwith to cache some data on the chipset to reduce latency at a lower level that I875 have.

Hyper stream look like a PAT also found in to be release DDR chipset from SIS.

My guess is the only chance to rambus to make a comeback will be on 1066 FSB were RDRAM and DDR-2 will run on the same ram cell at 133 mghz.There will be a premium price for DDR-2 should put it around the same price as RDRAM.We will see if intel have really unplug the Rambus or not as Elpidia is the 2 manufacturer of RDRAM after Samsung and Intel have invest a lot in Elpidia to update there process.Dont forget that intel still have a lot of rambus stock.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 11/19/03 05:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Well to start with its NOT Mhz!

the real bus Mhz are 100 133 and 200, all quad pumped.
And Pentium 4's are known to thrive on high memory bandwidth. The more the merrier!
Take it away and all you end up with is...well... a celleron. *shudder*

<b>Lead me not into temptation.
I know the way myself. :evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at how close these things are. If you have a CPU with a 5% advantage and a board with a 5% advantage, the 10% gain is enough to put you into an entirely different performance league!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

eden

Champion
I realize that, but relatively, it really isn't much to me. Those benchmark bars haven't grown much lately visually! :eek:

--