Sign in with
Your question

PCI Express port help

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
April 9, 2010 7:55:30 PM

Hi everyone!

I have a lenovo u330 laptop (P8600 4gb DDR3) which has the Mobil Intel GM45 Express chipset. The laptop comes with a built-in graphics chip (256 mb ati) and a PCI Express port for future upgrades.

My question is, how fast is this PCI Express port (1x, 16x, 16x 2.0?). I can't seem to find out how fast it is from searching the web or reading the documents.

Any help would be most appreciated.

More about : pci express port

a c 572 D Laptop
April 10, 2010 5:57:39 PM

It's x1 lane.
m
l
April 11, 2010 5:42:57 AM

Thanks for the response! Don't think of this as questioning your answer, but do you mind providing the source of your information? Its not that I don't believe you, just I want to see what else I can learn.

Thanks again,

Beta
m
l
Related resources
a c 572 D Laptop
April 11, 2010 3:48:30 PM

We know from the Ideapad U330 spec sheet
That the U330 has one available Mini PCI Express Slot. (also note the Express Card Slot also handles a PCI-e x1 device)

I know that Mini PCI Express Slot is also known as PCI Express Mini card or mPCI-e. And a quick google on those terms gives us the specs of the Mini PCI Express Slot.

m
l
April 12, 2010 7:37:20 PM

Thanks WR2 for the information! If I understand correctly a 1x PCI express lane gives me about 250 mb/s of bandwidth.

The reason this is important is because I want to add either a eSATA card or USB 3.0 card for a external hard drive.

Does anyone have any recommendation which way i should go? From what I've heard is that real world results show esata as faster but usb 3.0 having more potential. Is 250 mb/s below the maximum for both?

Thanks all!
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
April 13, 2010 1:05:32 AM

betacase said:
I want to add either a eSATA card or USB 3.0 card for a external hard drive
Since the PCI Express port is wholly internal (no way to run a jack to the exterior) it's not suitable for the purposes you mention.
You'll need to find a USB3 or eSata Express Card to meet that requirement. Or just stick with your current USB2 ports for your external storage.

m
l
!