slow start up from welcome log on screen

Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
September 3, 2005 5:39:03 AM

Can anyone help

When I click on my account to log on from the XP welcome screen it seems to
take ages for my desktop to appear and start loading. This does not happen
when my wife opens her account. Any ideas?

More about : slow start log screen

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 11:38:53 AM

Run Msinfo32 from each logon and see if you have more things loading up at
startup than she does.

Go to Start, Run, and type msinfo32 in the Open box and click OK to start
the utility. Click the plus sign next to Software Environment, then click
Startup Programs. You can then copy the list (put cursor in the right pane
and click Edit, Select all) and then paste it into Notepad or Wordpad or
other word processor.

You can also print the list by choosing Print, Selection with either the
topic (Startup Programs) selected or the individual entries selected.

PattyL

"JRD" <JRD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help
>
> When I click on my account to log on from the XP welcome screen it seems
> take ages for my desktop to appear and start loading. This does not
> happen
> when my wife opens her account. Any ideas?
September 4, 2005 11:54:07 AM

JRD wrote:

> Can anyone help
>
> When I click on my account to log on from the XP welcome screen it seems to
> take ages for my desktop to appear and start loading. This does not happen
> when my wife opens her account. Any ideas?

Do some clean boot troubleshooting to find out what's causing the hang up:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User