slow start up from welcome log on screen

Can anyone help

When I click on my account to log on from the XP welcome screen it seems to
take ages for my desktop to appear and start loading. This does not happen
when my wife opens her account. Any ideas?
2 answers Last reply
More about slow start screen

    Run Msinfo32 from each logon and see if you have more things loading up at
    startup than she does.

    Go to Start, Run, and type msinfo32 in the Open box and click OK to start
    the utility. Click the plus sign next to Software Environment, then click
    Startup Programs. You can then copy the list (put cursor in the right pane
    and click Edit, Select all) and then paste it into Notepad or Wordpad or
    other word processor.

    You can also print the list by choosing Print, Selection with either the
    topic (Startup Programs) selected or the individual entries selected.

    PattyL

    JRD wrote:

    > Can anyone help
    >
    > When I click on my account to log on from the XP welcome screen it seems to
    > take ages for my desktop to appear and start loading. This does not happen
    > when my wife opens her account. Any ideas?

    Do some clean boot troubleshooting to find out what's causing the hang up:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User