New XP upgrade SR2

"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> writes:
>Has anyone tried it?

>I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
>experiences?

You can get some, likely biased, view of the experiences if you
look over in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. But be prepared
for a thousand or more postings a day.

Proponents of Microsoft claim that it is just fine, that all the
problems can be attributed "viruses or spyware or customers are
just too stupid." Maybe viruses or spyware were responsible for
some of the problems, but I haven't seen postings REALLY confirming
this. If this were the case then I cannot understand why Microsoft
didn't 1: run a virus/spyware scan, 2: run a registry validation,
3: do sfc (system file check), 4: kill any running processes that
weren't essential for the installation, 5: do a chkdsk, 6: quarantine
any software in their list that they already knew were going to
cause problems 7: run one of the "scan and repair conflicts and
problems on your pc" programs and THEN do the install. This just
isn't rocket science.

If, as some claim, this would have eliminated the vast majority of
problems then I cannot understand why they would not have done this,
if for no other reason than to eliminate the potential public
relations image damage that they desperately need to avoid at this
point, ignoring their own support cost, the support cost to the
other vendors and completely ignoring the cost to the users who
have to try to figure out how to recover from failure.

There are far too many people taking an extreme position based on
their experience with one machine, or at most a tiny number.

There appear to be a handful of specific problems that really do
exist. One version of the Intel processor causes trouble, that can
be sorted out if you know what to do. Some of the bad software
items on the list do appear to cause problems, but some folks find
they don't. It seems that they have yanked around the interface
for drivers and a variety of folks find that some hardware and
software won't work afterwards. Reinstalling the hardware or
software or hoping the vendor has or will provide new drivers may
get around this. There is an ongoing string of folks who find
Windows Explorer fails in some way, that one got me and I still
haven't found any way to fix that. Some folks find it just crashes,
more find it crashes if you click on certain items, mine just refuses
all mouse clicks. Some of the low level hardware guys found that
the drivers for the chipsets "just get lost" in a modest percentage
of the cases, "nobody knows why and they wouldn't want to be the
ones to have to figure that one out."

If you have a problem with the install it is supposed to be the
case that you can back out of this, but some have claimed that they
could not get this to work. If you have a problem you can escalate
this to Microsoft, support.microsoft.com/windowsxpsp2 and give them
all the details you can about what you have seen. There is no
guarantee their analysis will be correct or even that their directions
won't make things worse, but it might work out. In my case they
concluded "some files must be corrupted, repair windows back to
original install state and then reinstall SP2 twice while in safe
mode." Before I did that someone discovered that for some folks
with Windows Explorer problems that if you create a new user and
switch over to that user then that user doesn't have the problem.
WHen that worked for me I sent Microsoft mail saying that this made
it seem a little less likely that "some files must be corrupted"
and asked if they were still sure I needed to blow windows away.
They haven't answered that in a number of days now, but I can imagine
the hell on earth it might be inside there now.

It does appear the installation blows away your Java, my Sun Java
hotspot compiler installation was silently deleted. It does not
ask you a single question about what you want or don't want done.

Nobody appears to know the actual percentage of people who have
problems on install. I'd love to see a good random sample of 10,000
people called who installed this and how many had problems. I'd
guess Microsoft has some idea by now but they aren't talking.

I have not noticed a disproportionate number of other Dell customers
reporting problems. Based on scanning thousands and thousands of
postings I don't think it would be any worse or any better than any
other brand, but most folks don't report brand info with problems.

As one person put it: "Just because you have heard there are car
accidents, does that mean you aren't going to drive? Do the upgrade."
And I replied "Good analogy, now, if you knew that somewhere between
0% and 10% of all the drivers in the country were going to get into
an accident the same day they did the upgrade, or risk falling
victim to a potential Microsoft bug when maybe exploited by some
net vandal maybe some day in the future, would you go driving today
or not?"

Personally I think failure rates like that are simply inexcusible
but I came from a "6 sigma" environment and have never understood
why customers accept the number of failures with pc's they do.

I waited a week or two after it was initially available, watched
to see if there was a firestorm of problems, perhaps underestimated
the number of problems a bit, and then tried this on one machine
that I could accept the loss on if it killed it. I am still hoping
that Microsoft will come through and deliver a fix for the Windows
Explorer problem. Other than that there may be a host of other
problems with the machine that I just haven't exercised yet. But
I will wait till the end of the month or so, and try to schedule a
block of time when I can deal with any potential disaster, before
I try upgrading the others that absolutely positively have to be
working every morning.

"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> experiences?

Only problem with SP2 I have had is that if a user remains signed on and
then becomes inactive long enough for the screen saver to activate, it's
very hard to get back to the logon screen through the screen saver. It
takes a rapid repeating ctrl-alt-del sequence to finally get there. I'll
look into when I get some time. Anyone knows what the potential cause is,
I would be grateful for your input.

I did have a problem with having to specifically launch attachments from a
Usenet binaries (pictures) group. Finally figured out which setting it
was that I needed to change back. For those that might be googling for
that answer (it did get asked in that binary group)

In OE...tools...options...read...uncheck "read all messages in plain text"

"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> experiences?

I downloaded the full version from microsoft at its release (268 mb)and
installed on my Dimension 2400. Most of the changes as stated by others in
this group are under the hood. The biggest noticable change for me was the
pop up blocker in IE and the firewall changes. It took minimal tweaking on
my part to make a few apps work, and it did not recognise my a/v software
(Norton) So I made the choice to monitor my own av.
I found it interesting that Microsoft has chosen to blur the lines between
xp pro and xp home editions. The new splash screen simply says xp.
All in all I,ve had no problems with sp2 on my machine. I feel a bit more
secure having run it.
Because I have to have the latest and greatest I went back and downloaded
WMP 10 which is also cool

I installed it from Windows Update on 6 Dell's I have here at home. Five
desktops (2 8300's, 1 4100, 1 T series, and 1 4550) and one notebook. Not a
problem with any of them.

"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> experiences?

Darkstar,
Check with Symantec, about SP2 update. Check the "Automated Solutions" tab:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/asa.html

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Darkstar" <richmc3@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:Lc__c.7555$Vl5.2525@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> experiences?

I downloaded the full version from microsoft at its release (268 mb)and
installed on my Dimension 2400. Most of the changes as stated by others in
this group are under the hood. The biggest noticable change for me was the
pop up blocker in IE and the firewall changes. It took minimal tweaking on
my part to make a few apps work, and it did not recognise my a/v software
(Norton) So I made the choice to monitor my own av.
I found it interesting that Microsoft has chosen to blur the lines between
xp pro and xp home editions. The new splash screen simply says xp.
All in all I,ve had no problems with sp2 on my machine. I feel a bit more
secure having run it.
Because I have to have the latest and greatest I went back and downloaded
WMP 10 which is also cool

I have read that much on the subject, for and against, that I decided to try
for myself.

So as not to trash the system I created a fresh partition and am dual
booting XP SP1 and XP SP2.

I downloaded the big Service Pack (all 268 meg) and slipstreamed into my XP
Pro CD. Thus having a fresh instal.

I am slowly installing my 3rd party software and as of yet have found no
problems, which a simple manufacturers' patch (for SP2), hasn't cured.

I have an Inspiron 9100 and it is working just fine (touch wood......)

Regards

Andy C

"Don Taylor" <dont@agora.rdrop.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> Personally I think failure rates like that are simply inexcusible
> but I came from a "6 sigma" environment and have never understood
> why customers accept the number of failures with pc's they do.
>
> I waited a week or two after it was initially available, watched
> to see if there was a firestorm of problems, perhaps underestimated
> the number of problems a bit, and then tried this on one machine
> that I could accept the loss on if it killed it. I am still hoping
> that Microsoft will come through and deliver a fix for the Windows
> Explorer problem. Other than that there may be a host of other
> problems with the machine that I just haven't exercised yet. But
> I will wait till the end of the month or so, and try to schedule a
> block of time when I can deal with any potential disaster, before
> I try upgrading the others that absolutely positively have to be

Windows Media Player version 10

> >downloaded WMP 10 which is also cool
>
> What's that?

Thank you RRR I did just that. I use live update and intelligent updater to
keep my definitions up to date. I'd truly rather handle it myself.
Because my original program for NAV came from dell. They show it as a
pre-release or beta version so no updates are available. Here is the message
that I recieved from Symantec in its entirety
"You have a version of Norton AntiVirus 2003 that is pre-released or beta.

The Automated Support Assistant has determined that this machine is running
a pre-released or beta version of Norton AntiVirus 2003. This version of the
software is not supported by Symantec and cannot be updated.Please contact
the vendor that you purchased the software from to request a released copy
of Norton AntiVirus 2003. "
details on our release version are available at the Symantec Products and
Services Page

Other than this I've had no issues with sp2.

Thanks again for your support

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in message
Darkstar,
Check with Symantec, about SP2 update. Check the "Automated Solutions" tab:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/asa.html

--

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

"Darkstar" <richmc3@prodigy.net> wrote in message
"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> experiences?

I downloaded the full version from microsoft at its release (268 mb)and
installed on my Dimension 2400. Most of the changes as stated by others in
this group are under the hood. The biggest noticable change for me was the
pop up blocker in IE and the firewall changes. It took minimal tweaking on
my part to make a few apps work, and it did not recognise my a/v software
(Norton) So I made the choice to monitor my own av.
I found it interesting that Microsoft has chosen to blur the lines between
xp pro and xp home editions. The new splash screen simply says xp.
All in all I,ve had no problems with sp2 on my machine. I feel a bit more
secure having run it.
Because I have to have the latest and greatest I went back and downloaded
WMP 10 which is also cool

"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone tried it?

Sure, it works just fine for the great majority of folks.

All the arcana you describe is fine BUT the fact remains that the great
majority of folks find that SP2 installs and runs just fine with no
problems.

"Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> writes:
>All the arcana you describe is fine BUT the fact remains that the great
>majority of folks find that SP2 installs and runs just fine with no
>problems.

The fact remains that nobody knows what the real problem rate is.

I spent a decade doing 6-sigma quality software. That equates to
you and two dozen of your friends using our product full time for
fifty years and still having a 90% chance that not a one of you
would have ever seen a bug, no matter how small. With say 50 million
pc's using SP2, is having five million people deal with a problem
doing the upgrade acceptable? Most folks would claim 90% would be
a great majority. That just gave you five million people who have
to pay to dig themselves out of this. How about one million? Or
20 thousand? That's getting closer to 6-sigma.

"joe_tide" <joetide@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I installed it from Windows Update on 6 Dell's I have here at home. Five
> desktops (2 8300's, 1 4100, 1 T series, and 1 4550) and one notebook. Not
> problem with any of them.

A typical RESULT.

"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> >downloaded WMP 10 which is also cool
>
> What's that?

A fancy dancy new Windows Media Player.

> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> writes:
> >All the arcana you describe is fine BUT the fact remains that the great
> >majority of folks find that SP2 installs and runs just fine with no
> >problems.
>
> The fact remains that nobody knows what the real problem rate is.

95...99....99.5...guess not.

> I spent a decade doing 6-sigma quality software. That equates to
> you and two dozen of your friends using our product full time for
> fifty years and still having a 90% chance that not a one of you
> would have ever seen a bug, no matter how small. With say 50 million
> pc's using SP2, is having five million people deal with a problem
> doing the upgrade acceptable? Most folks would claim 90% would be
> a great majority. That just gave you five million people who have
> to pay to dig themselves out of this. How about one million? Or
> 20 thousand? That's getting closer to 6-sigma.

And there was some parsable content in that relevant to the issue at hand?
I didn't think so. SP2 works just fine for the great majority of folks and
all should install it.

dont@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote in message news:<5KadnTTtPq1rGKHcRVn-uQ@scnresearch.com>...
> "Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> writes:
> >Has anyone tried it?
>
> >I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> >experiences?
>
> You can get some, likely biased, view of the experiences if you
> look over in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. But be prepared
> for a thousand or more postings a day.
>
> Proponents of Microsoft claim that it is just fine, that all the
> problems can be attributed "viruses or spyware or customers are
> just too stupid." Maybe viruses or spyware were responsible for
> some of the problems, but I haven't seen postings REALLY confirming
> this. If this were the case then I cannot understand why Microsoft
> didn't 1: run a virus/spyware scan, 2: run a registry validation,
> 3: do sfc (system file check), 4: kill any running processes that
> weren't essential for the installation, 5: do a chkdsk, 6: quarantine
> any software in their list that they already knew were going to
> cause problems 7: run one of the "scan and repair conflicts and
> problems on your pc" programs and THEN do the install. This just
> isn't rocket science.
>
> If, as some claim, this would have eliminated the vast majority of
> problems then I cannot understand why they would not have done this,
> if for no other reason than to eliminate the potential public
> relations image damage that they desperately need to avoid at this
> point, ignoring their own support cost, the support cost to the
> other vendors and completely ignoring the cost to the users who
> have to try to figure out how to recover from failure.
>
> There are far too many people taking an extreme position based on
> their experience with one machine, or at most a tiny number.
>
> There appear to be a handful of specific problems that really do
> exist. One version of the Intel processor causes trouble, that can
> be sorted out if you know what to do. Some of the bad software
> items on the list do appear to cause problems, but some folks find
> they don't. It seems that they have yanked around the interface
> for drivers and a variety of folks find that some hardware and
> software won't work afterwards. Reinstalling the hardware or
> software or hoping the vendor has or will provide new drivers may
> get around this. There is an ongoing string of folks who find
> Windows Explorer fails in some way, that one got me and I still
> haven't found any way to fix that. Some folks find it just crashes,
> more find it crashes if you click on certain items, mine just refuses
> all mouse clicks. Some of the low level hardware guys found that
> the drivers for the chipsets "just get lost" in a modest percentage
> of the cases, "nobody knows why and they wouldn't want to be the
> ones to have to figure that one out."

I've had problems with sorting (sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't).

I've had problems with the client area of the right pane (Folder view)
not displaying entries properly (detail view).

> If you have a problem with the install it is supposed to be the
> case that you can back out of this, but some have claimed that they
> could not get this to work. If you have a problem you can escalate
> this to Microsoft, support.microsoft.com/windowsxpsp2 and give them
> all the details you can about what you have seen. There is no
> guarantee their analysis will be correct or even that their directions
> won't make things worse, but it might work out. In my case they
> concluded "some files must be corrupted, repair windows back to
> original install state and then reinstall SP2 twice while in safe
> mode." Before I did that someone discovered that for some folks
> with Windows Explorer problems that if you create a new user and
> switch over to that user then that user doesn't have the problem.
> WHen that worked for me I sent Microsoft mail saying that this made
> it seem a little less likely that "some files must be corrupted"
> and asked if they were still sure I needed to blow windows away.
> They haven't answered that in a number of days now, but I can imagine
> the hell on earth it might be inside there now.
>
> It does appear the installation blows away your Java, my Sun Java
> hotspot compiler installation was silently deleted. It does not
> ask you a single question about what you want or don't want done.

Now why would this be? Someone please explain this to me.

> Nobody appears to know the actual percentage of people who have
> problems on install. I'd love to see a good random sample of 10,000
> people called who installed this and how many had problems. I'd
> guess Microsoft has some idea by now but they aren't talking.
>
> I have not noticed a disproportionate number of other Dell customers
> reporting problems. Based on scanning thousands and thousands of
> postings I don't think it would be any worse or any better than any
> other brand, but most folks don't report brand info with problems.
>
> As one person put it: "Just because you have heard there are car
> accidents, does that mean you aren't going to drive? Do the upgrade."
> And I replied "Good analogy, now, if you knew that somewhere between
> 0% and 10% of all the drivers in the country were going to get into
> an accident the same day they did the upgrade, or risk falling
> victim to a potential Microsoft bug when maybe exploited by some
> net vandal maybe some day in the future, would you go driving today
> or not?"
>
> Personally I think failure rates like that are simply inexcusible
> but I came from a "6 sigma" environment and have never understood
> why customers accept the number of failures with pc's they do.

The current PC software market is one of the only markets where the
consumer (customer) serves and accommodates the producer. In any other
market, producers serve consumers. Would any of us enter a restaurant,
seat the waiter, serve the waiter, pay for the waiter's meal, and then
leave the restaurant? Would any of us purchase a five-pound wrist
watch all because the sales person is telling us that with enough
dumb-bell curlse it's wearable?

Performance is another quality issue. I see MS turning its entire OS
into a virtual machine. "Managed code" is a synonym for "Java byte
code". On the server, where a server app written in java is up and
running all the time, initial-startup latency is a non issue. On the
desktop, it's a huge issue. I don't want to wait! I've got 1.5GB of
RAM on my desktop. Why should I wait? The clincher is when I sit down
to a P300 box with 64MB of RAM running FreeBSD 5, X and and fvwm 2,
and the system runs pretty fast. By the way, the FBSD, X, fvwm
installation took no longer than the XP installation. In fact, it was
faster.

> I waited a week or two after it was initially available, watched
> to see if there was a firestorm of problems, perhaps underestimated
> the number of problems a bit, and then tried this on one machine
> that I could accept the loss on if it killed it. I am still hoping
> that Microsoft will come through and deliver a fix for the Windows
> Explorer problem. Other than that there may be a host of other
> problems with the machine that I just haven't exercised yet. But
> I will wait till the end of the month or so, and try to schedule a
> block of time when I can deal with any potential disaster, before
> I try upgrading the others that absolutely positively have to be
> working every morning.

LB

"LB" <lbunet@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> dont@agora.rdrop.com (Don Taylor) wrote in message
>> "Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> writes:
>> >Has anyone tried it?
>>
>> >I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
>> >experiences?
>>
>> You can get some, likely biased, view of the experiences if you
>> look over in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. But be prepared
>> for a thousand or more postings a day.

<snip>

>> It does appear the installation blows away your Java, my Sun Java
>> hotspot compiler installation was silently deleted. It does not
>> ask you a single question about what you want or don't want done.
>>

> Now why would this be? Someone please explain this to me.

With regards to Java, I can only confirm that I've had to re-install the
Java Runtime environment plug-in on the 3 machines post SP2 install. With
regard to the "whys", it may be simply an MS point of contention or
something they consider a 'security' matter.

Have no idea. But runtime plug-in does have to be reinstalled (both XP Home
and Pro).

Stew

"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message news:<chho1j$5pl$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> Has anyone tried it?
>
> I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> experiences?

I ordered the SP2 disc and it only took a week for it to arrive at my pad.
I installed it on my pc XP pro and everything worked fine except it
disabled Zone Alarm. I guess the SP2 firewall is good enough. I also
noticed that there is a pop-up ad blocker, which works pretty good
as far as I can tell. I haven't looked at other stuff that came on the
disc. Bottom line - My PC runs the same as far as I can tell.

Nick

Windows XP Service Pack 2 should not disable Zone Alarm. If you do not
have Zone Alarm 5.1 (.something), upgrade to it. It will interface
perfectly with the Windows Security Center so that if you have Zone
Alarm on, the Windows firewall will not be on.

"Jerome M. Katz" <jerrymkatz@NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Windows XP Service Pack 2 should not disable Zone Alarm.

Correct but the user should disable ZA after installing SP2 as ZA is no
longer needed.

> If you do not
> have Zone Alarm 5.1 (.something), upgrade to it. It will interface
> perfectly with the Windows Security Center

But just add more overhead and something else to fiddle with for NO added
important functionality.

> so that if you have Zone
> Alarm on, the Windows firewall will not be on.

Yes and that would be BACKWARDS.

Enable SP2's Firewall and lose ZA.

> On 27 Sep 2004 16:28:41 -0700, tq144@msn.com (Nicolas The Great)
> wrote:
>
> >"Tony" <lkj@lkj.com> wrote in message
> >> Has anyone tried it?
> >>
> >> I've heard bad things about it..hardly surprising with MS..any good
> >> experiences?
> >

> > I ordered the SP2 disc and it only took a week for it to arrive at my
pad.
> > I installed it on my pc XP pro and everything worked fine except it
> > disabled Zone Alarm. I guess the SP2 firewall is good enough. I also
> > noticed that there is a pop-up ad blocker, which works pretty good
> > as far as I can tell. I haven't looked at other stuff that came on the
> > disc. Bottom line - My PC runs the same as far as I can tell.
> >
> > Nick

Wow, that's terrible advice. The XP Firewall is mediocre compared to ZA.
For example, it doesn't catch OUTGOING use of the internet like ZA.

Oh, wait, maybe the CPU is slowing down.....

<snip>

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 09:26:56 GMT, "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net>
wrote:

>> Windows XP Service Pack 2 should not disable Zone Alarm.
>
>Correct but the user should disable ZA after installing SP2 as ZA is no
>longer needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong (not unprecedented) but I thought that the XP
firewall stopped only incoming mischief. Zone Alarm will stop things
on your computer from "phoning home". That was my understanding --
i.e. you still need Zone Alarm even though you have the new, improved
SP2 firewall.

> Wow, that's terrible advice. The XP Firewall is mediocre compared to ZA.
> For example, it doesn't catch OUTGOING use of the internet like ZA.

<snip>

What Tom said. I've got people doubled-up with the XP Firewall and Sygate
Personal Firewall for this very reason - potentially malicious OUTgoing
activity.

Stew

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message news:<j4qdnRYs1JlH3cTcRVn-tA@comcast.com>...
> Wow, that's terrible advice. The XP Firewall is mediocre compared to ZA.
> For example, it doesn't catch OUTGOING use of the internet like ZA.
>
> Oh, wait, maybe the CPU is slowing down.....
> "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> <snip>
> > Yes and that would be BACKWARDS.
> >
> > Enable SP2's Firewall and lose ZA.

Tom, why is your CPU slowing down? ZA or XPSP2?

Nick