Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?

Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?

HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?

comments?
12 answers Last reply
More about dells framework installed

    piddie wrote:
    > Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
    >
    > HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
    >
    > comments?

    Probably. Isn't .NET a component of Windows XP-SP1 or
    installed with the SP1 upgrade?

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 22:35:19 -0700, Tritium <h3@hot.lab> wrote:

    >piddie wrote:
    >> Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
    >>
    >> HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
    >>
    >> comments?
    >>

    >Probably. Isn't .NET a component of Windows XP-SP1 or
    >installed with the SP1 upgrade?

    No, it's not included in SP1.
    --
    <<<SgtRich>>>

    Desktop: Dell Dimension XPS T550
    Notebook: Dell Inspiron 8600
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on both

    piddie <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote:

    >Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
    >
    >HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
    >
    >comments?

    Either they come with .Net Framework as part of the
    XP-Home/Professional installation, or they are a free
    "recommended" update when you use the Windows Update feature.

    I suspect the former, since every indication on my machines is
    that it was installed initially on the same date as the XPPro
    that came on my D4400. And updated my L733r to at the same time.
    --
    OJ III
    [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

    "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > piddie <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
    >>
    >>HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
    >>
    >>comments?
    >
    > Either they come with .Net Framework as part of the
    > XP-Home/Professional installation, or they are a free
    > "recommended" update when you use the Windows Update feature.
    >
    > I suspect the former, since every indication on my machines is
    > that it was installed initially on the same date as the XPPro
    > that came on my D4400. And updated my L733r to at the same time.
    > --
    > OJ III
    > [Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
    > Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

    I've a retail install of XP Pro SP1 from 60 days ago. I had to download
    ..Net framework 1.1 from Windows Update recently, fwiw.

    Stew

    What is the .NET stuff for anyways?

    Are there any benefits to installing it?

    kw

    ---

    It does not come on the system nor is it part of SP1. It is part of Disk
    Image 7.0 and probably other software packages.

    "piddie" <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote in message

    > Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
    >
    > HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
    >
    > comments?

    My Dimension 8300 purchased in March with XP Pro appears to have .NET
    installed. I don't use/need it and it doesn't appear in Windows Update,
    however it does appear in Windows Update on my 2 year old Dimension 8300
    with XP Pro. Doesn't appear to be any way to uninstall it.

    WSZsr wrote:
    > It does not come on the system nor is it part of SP1. It is part of Disk
    > Image 7.0 and probably other software packages.
    >
    > "piddie" <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
    >>
    >>HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
    >>
    >>comments?

    Tom;
    It is a Microsoft Product available from windows Update.
    To uninstall, go to Add/Remove Programs.
    Look for "Microsoft .Net Framework"

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    Check the following link for some great problem solving newsgroups.

    "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > My Dimension 8300 purchased in March with XP Pro appears to have
    ..NET
    > installed. I don't use/need it and it doesn't appear in Windows
    Update,
    > however it does appear in Windows Update on my 2 year old Dimension
    8300
    > with XP Pro. Doesn't appear to be any way to uninstall it.
    >
    > WSZsr wrote:
    > > It does not come on the system nor is it part of SP1. It is part
    of Disk
    > > Image 7.0 and probably other software packages.
    > >
    > > "piddie" <sarahplace@area99.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Do new Dells come with .Net Framework pre-installed?
    > >>
    > >>HP and Compaq do, does Dell and Gateway?
    > >>
    > >>comments?

    "Disk Image 7.0 and probably other software packages"
    No, it is not a part of those.
    It may be included with them but .Net Framework is a Microsoft Product
    It is available from Windows Update as a Recommended Update.

    --

    Ken Williams wrote:

    > What is the .NET stuff for anyways?
    >
    > Are there any benefits to installing it?

    Every program made with Visual Studio C# or
    Visual Basic (latest version), will need this
    Framework to run.

    So I can assume that they will list that as a minimum requirement for the
    program or self check/install upon software installation.
    kw

    > Ken Williams wrote:
    >
    > > What is the .NET stuff for anyways?
    > >
    > > Are there any benefits to installing it?
    >
    > Every program made with Visual Studio C# or
    > Visual Basic (latest version), will need this
    > Framework to run.

    ---

    "Ken Williams" <NotReal@email.com> wrote in message
    > So I can assume that they will list that as a minimum requirement for the
    > program or self check/install upon software installation.
    > kw

    <snip>

    I ran into the requirement while registering to report some issues with the
    XP SP2 beta on the MS site. Received a prompt that .Net needed to be
    installed to complete the report, provided a click to redirect to Windows
    update for the download.

    Stew

Dell Framework Gateway Hewlett Packard Compaq Computers