Installed mdk 9.0 rc3

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Pretty cool so far. I only have one problem though, and it's with gnome 2.0.

With 1.4, I was able to run gnome as my desktop manager, with enlightenment running underneath as my window manager. I can't seem to find how to do that with 2.0. If anyone knows...

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
That's really strange. Can't you select your window manager in the Gnome config area?

With Mandrake 8.2, you could in one of the configs. linuxconf, userdrake, mandrake control center.

I never can remember which options are in which programs. I usually just start running programs, and look for what I want to do. There is a specific program that will do it for you; you'll be able to select from a dropdown menu "enlightenment", "sawfish", or whatever you want.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yep, I totally remember that from 8.0. The layout is a bit different (maybe I'll post some screenies). The gnome config only lets you pick gtk+ themes, and not select a windowmanager. I went through linuxconf, userdrake, and mandrake control center, and the only thing I found was in userdrake. Under gnome, it had a few tree menus, and in gnome/session/windowmanagers it listed sawfish/enlightenment/etc... but it was just a list with a bit of info (path etc...) I moved enlightenment to the top of the list, but it didn't do anything. I even tried activating it from the command line, and it initialized, but it said that I had to quit my current window manager first. Argh.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, I have NO idea how I did it (ran enlightenment.install, killed metacity a few times, rebooted a bunch of times...) but I've got gnome running with enlightenment as my windowmanager and blueheart as my etheme. Now to figure out how to change my gtk+ theme with this new setup :)

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay screw it. Enlightenment works, gnome works, but the virtual desktops in enlightenment like to fsck up gnome (don't make me explain, it's really messed up). So basically, I have no virtual desktop capability right now (which is a big feature for me).

I'm just gonna wait for ximian gnome to support mdk 9.0.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You know, this could all be a bug in the release canadites that will get worked out for the final version.

So, yeah; there's a good chance they just haven't gotten around to this config yet. That was my problem with how I wanted the taskbars setup. KDE 3.0.3 fixed exactly what I was wanting.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Hopefully. I'd love to see mdk 9.1, and ximian gnome 2.2 out...

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
From memory, the pager app is configurable, so that it has workarounds for various window managers (I think E is one of them) Right-click for prefs, I think.

You can set your preferred window manager in the gnome-config app, or whatever it's called. It's the one that looks like the the Windows Registry :-(

<i>Do I look like I care?</i>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks poorboy, but no dice. First of all, I know exactly what you're talking about with gnome-config (actually it's gnome control center). That's how I USED to change it in 1.4. Now gnome control center looks like a regular directory. I click on control center in the gnome menu, and a nautilus window pops up with icons for accessibility etc etc... I go into advanced, and then into sessions, and it LISTS what I have running, but I can't change anything.

What I did to get it to sort of work (enlightenment works for gnome now, but the pager is still messed) is I just edited my ~/.xinitrc file to include /usr/bin/englightenment

Now for the pager. This is SUPER weird. I have set the ENLIGHTENMENT pager to be a 2x2 virtual desktop with no layered desktops. When I use the enlightenment pager to scroll over, I lose all of my gnome related things in the new screen; it looks just like I was only running enlightenment as my desktop manager. Now here's the really weird part: When I click back to my first desktop space using the enlightenment pager, I still lose all of my gnome stuff, then the screen freezes for 1-2 seconds, then a window pops up with a screenshot of my gnome desktop (except I can actually click the links and they work). I can move this window over and then I can see all of my gnome stuff underneath. I then close that weird window and everything is back to normal.

Now, I added a gnome desktop pager to my gnome-panel, but no matter what I set it to, I can't get more than a 1x1 desktop with it.

Argh.

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
The app I'm talking about is called "gconf-editor". Under /desktop/gnome/applications/windowmanager you can set the application to run - eg /usr/bin/enlightenment

About the Gnome2 pager, word is that E is broken with regard to the "window manager spec", so it's probably not going to work. I was thinking of the Gnome 1 pager, before. But you did select "show all workspaces" in the prefs, right?

<i>Go on, you would if you loved me...</i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poorboy on 09/25/02 00:53 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
So it'll probably be fixed before 9.0 goez to press, hunh?

It's always those little things that really get to you...

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Cool, thanks poorboy. I'll try that. And I guess the E pager will just have to wait. No biggie though

Oh, and I'm just starting to take some programming classes too. Emacs are really cool for that kind of thing. I definitely like them better than borland in windows.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Okay poorboy, I tried that gconf-editor and it worked, but only as well as my editing of the .xinitrc file. I've still got the same pager problem. Other than that, everything works as it should.

Oh, yeah, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to change my gtk+ theme yet...

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, that's how it worked for me in previous installs too. Now when I do that, I get some odd theme changer. It says to drop the new themes onto the list, but when I do that, nothing gets installed. Nor does finding the new themes via the "install new theme" button work. Just gonna take some more playin around I guess.