Sun in bed with AMD

G

Since no one posted this yet,I thought I would.
Sun has decided to embrace Opteron, release a range of servers and workstation based on the chip, and make a AMD64 version of Solaris and their Java Enterprise system. read the press release <A HREF="http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2003-11/sunflash.20031117.1.html" target="_new"> here.</A>

I think this is pretty big news. It also looks like it won't stop with a couple of 2 way and 4 way servers, read this:"Sun and AMD will collaborate on a portfolio of future AMD Opteron processor-based systems and scalability beyond 4-way AMD Opteron processor systems. The parties will also collaborate on coherent HyperTransport™ technology implementations. ".

That sounds like they are preparing to ditch Sparc, and over time, replace it with AMD64 top to bottom. Coherent HT would enable "easy" 32 way and up single image configurations. Now there is a market AMD could only dream of a few years ago. Either way, Sun's embrace of Opteron is incredible good news for AMD, which gets a free ride to the server rooms it has been trying so desperately to get into; not to mention the importance of Sun's endorcement... if Sun thinks its that good, surely it can't be so bad. IT buyers will start noticing for sure..

In related news, <A HREF="http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/031118/185819_1.html" target="_new">Pathscale announced their AMD64 linux compiler,</A> promising up to 40% percent performance increase under SPEC like loads. While I'm sure 40% is best case for a single subtest, if they can manage a 10-20% increase over GCC, Opteron just started looking even more impressive.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
SUN and AMD togethers beat the record of lost in the last 2 year in server.

Few billion and keep rising.Maybe someone could explain at AMD/Sun that is teraplop you have to get not teralost.

I dont like french test<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 11/19/03 04:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Certainly sounds like great news for AMD. I will still remain cautiously optimistic, however.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
In the press release they were pointing that opteron will stay at the low-end and 2way 4 way server and workstation

I dont like french test

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep. Its all looking alot better for AMD now.
HP, IBM, Sun... All big names that will (hopefully) ensure that AMD stays a compeditive and viable company!

Competition is good!

<b>Lead me not into temptation.
I know the way myself. :evil:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

G

True, they both havent had the best two years financially, but Sun isnt going anywhere, they still have like 5 billion in the bank. The main reason they've been losing money and marketshare is because they didnt have a competitive platform. USII and III really don't compete well with IBM's and Intel's offerings. Not even with Fujitsu's Sparc64.

AMD on the other hand, mostly lacked a tier one vendor to make any money in the server/ws market. Seems like a match made in heaven; Sun finally a decent performing platform, and AMD can use Sun's reputation to conquer the serverrooms. Win-win IMHO.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Not only for the last 2 year for AMD from the release of athlon it goes bad they make price drop increase there expent and waiting for the 700 million loan from the US gour. not to speak that there new big cluster was buy by the US again.As Apple ex president say my biggest mistake was to chose IBM/Motorola over intel.

Sun have cash flow from loan there are losing money big time they infrasture is getting old they layoff some much people and still in large defice and lack of ressource.The last Solaris get a others delay like AIX/HP-unix like any others old Unix.

I dont like french test

G

Depends what you call low end. Even using the slowest opteron 240's (if they are still available by then, most likely, at least 242's) will not be low end performance wise compared to 2/4 way Ultrasparcs. In general, I'm not sure if I'm ready to call any 4 way server "low end".

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
should be one of the last Spack cpu they will produce for does who want to update.They cannot compete again intel anymore if ever they market share goes the same way as the Twin tower.If they just can survive the transition will be happy for them

I dont like french test

Latest posts