Is this RAM "Dell compatible"?

My friend has a Dimension 2400 (about a year old) but only has 128mb of
memory. Would he be able to pick up this ram so I can put it into his
system? It's a 256 stick, 184 pin, pc2700 ddr from a company called "PNY".

http://tinyurl.com/5ajph

yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also uses
pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer, example. it
should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
other then that its easy to do :)

I'm not aware of any Dimension 2400 models that came with pc3200. They've
never had faster than a 533 bus.

Mine came with PC2700. I'm pretty sure it requires CL2.5.

Tom
"MichaelPa2004" <michaelpa2004@aol.com> wrote in message
> yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also uses
> pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer,
> example. it
> should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
> other then that its easy to do :)

Agreed Tom and for the OP, the RAM will run at the speed of the slowest RAM
you have installed. In a 2400 there really is no reason to install PC3200.
PC 2700 would be fine and will probably be the same RAM speed installed from
the factory. And yes I have heard of PNY and never heard of any complaints
using that make RAM.

Regards,
John O.

> I'm not aware of any Dimension 2400 models that came with pc3200. They've
> never had faster than a 533 bus.
>
> Mine came with PC2700. I'm pretty sure it requires CL2.5.
>
> Tom
> "MichaelPa2004" <michaelpa2004@aol.com> wrote in message
>> yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also
>> uses
>> pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer,
>> example. it
>> should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
>> other then that its easy to do :)

"MichaelPa2004" <michaelpa2004@aol.com> wrote in message
> yes you can as long as the other stick of memory is pc2700. 2400 also uses
> pc3200.. if you look at the other memory stick inside the computer,
> example. it
> should say maybe something like samsung pc2700.
> other then that its easy to do :)

Thanks for your reply. The other stick of memory HAS to be 2700? If it's
2100, won't the new 2700 that I put in just run slower?

someone correct me if im wrong. yes it will run slower if you mix pc2100 and
pc2700. thats why you should match them together instead of mixing. there is
also ram out there thats pc2700 but can be reversed the other way for pc2100

"Can use" is much different than "came with".

> well a 2400 can use pc3200 crucial even says lol

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

Here is a little program that will tell you what is in your computer with
opening the box.
http://www.lavalys.com/
Carolyn

"Molly" <ctalia4000@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Here is a little program that will tell you what is in your computer with
> opening the box.
> http://www.lavalys.com/
> Carolyn
> "Swert" <f@home.com> wrote in message
>> My friend has a Dimension 2400 (about a year old) but only has 128mb of
>> memory. Would he be able to pick up this ram so I can put it into his
>> system? It's a 256 stick, 184 pin, pc2700 ddr from a company called
>> "PNY".
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/5ajph

The 2400 is likely running a Celeron (400mhz FSB) so even if the RAM works,
it will only run at 266mhz.......just a heads up.

Stew

What makes you say it is 'likely a Celeron'? My 2400 is a P4-2.8.

Tom

> What makes you say it is 'likely a Celeron'? My 2400 is a P4-2.8.
>
> Tom

Most I've seen are value systems with the Celeron processors, though as you
point out, the P4 is available.

Hence why I used the qualifier "likely".

;-)

Stew