BIOS update ?

I guess this will be just a general question. I have a new Dimension 8300
and one of the Dell support alerts says that I may need to update my BIOS.

The system is brand new and works fine except for some minor issues with
Earthlink.

Do I really need to follow these Dell suggestions or is it better to leave
well enough alone ? I notice there are other suggestions for updates and
whatnot but, you know, "if it ain't broke, yada, yada."

Thanks,

Des, the Elder.
9 answers Last reply
More about bios update

    You have said it best yourself. If the system is running smoothly then by
    all means leave well enough alone. If you have A04 then I would not worry
    about it since the changes to A05 are very minor.

    Regards,
    John O.

    Desmond <des547@earthlink.net> coughed up the following:

    > I guess this will be just a general question. I have a new Dimension
    > 8300 and one of the Dell support alerts says that I may need to
    > update my BIOS.
    >
    > The system is brand new and works fine except for some minor issues
    > with Earthlink.
    >
    > Do I really need to follow these Dell suggestions or is it better to
    > leave well enough alone ? I notice there are other suggestions for
    > updates and whatnot but, you know, "if it ain't broke, yada, yada."
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Des, the Elder.

    This issue keeps popping up in this ng every few days. I noticed it
    from my 8300 dell-update thang as well.

    BIOSes are mighty scary things to flash. Read through the thread
    entitled "bios" earlier in this ng on 12-may-04

    --
    While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
    activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of

    Thank you gentlemen, read the longer version in the 5/12 post. I have long
    been a user of newsgroups for timely information, looks like this group will
    save me a lot of headaches.

    Thanks again.

    Sure will----it's one of the ones to keep /permanently/ in your list.

    --
    While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
    activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
    someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

    You can go here and read all about it;
    http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&DeviceID=308
    Watch the wrap. 4 and 5 don't seem that important
    but you should look it over.

    "Desmond" <des547@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > I guess this will be just a general question. I have a new Dimension 8300
    > and one of the Dell support alerts says that I may need to update my BIOS.
    >
    > The system is brand new and works fine except for some minor issues with
    > Earthlink.
    >
    > Do I really need to follow these Dell suggestions or is it better to
    leave
    > well enough alone ? I notice there are other suggestions for updates and
    > whatnot but, you know, "if it ain't broke, yada, yada."
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Des, the Elder.

    I have the same issue, I just received the update notice in Alert. But my
    current BIOS is A03 - so is there any advantage to upgrading to A05? My
    system runs fairly smoothly, slows a bit at times and sometime IE6 closes
    for no apparent reason (rare). I have an 8300, brought in late Jan 2004.
    Charlie

    >"JJ" <jj@nospam.ca> wrote:

    >You have said it best yourself. If the system is running smoothly then by
    >all means leave well enough alone. If you have A04 then I would not worry
    >about it since the changes to A05 are very minor.
    >
    >Regards,
    >John O.
    >

    >"Desmond" <des547@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> I guess this will be just a general question. I have a new Dimension 8300
    >> and one of the Dell support alerts says that I may need to update my BIOS.
    >>
    >> The system is brand new and works fine except for some minor issues with
    >> Earthlink.
    >>
    >> Do I really need to follow these Dell suggestions or is it better to
    >leave
    >> well enough alone ? I notice there are other suggestions for updates and
    >> whatnot but, you know, "if it ain't broke, yada, yada."
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Des, the Elder.

    Charliec

    pen <pen34usnospam@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:

    > You can go here and read all about it;

    http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&DeviceID=308
    > Watch the wrap. 4 and 5 don't seem that important
    > but you should look it over.

    What does it mean when the bios flash says that I HAVE the A05, and asks
    if I want to replace it with the A05.

    Rephrase: Why does dell updater-thang make this mistake? Is there more
    than one 05?

    --

    "Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    wrote in message news:c2Arc.517$yc4.237@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    > pen <pen34usnospam@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:
    >
    > > You can go here and read all about it;

    http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&DeviceID=308
    > > Watch the wrap. 4 and 5 don't seem that important
    > > but you should look it over.
    >

    > What does it mean when the bios flash says that I HAVE the A05, and asks
    > if I want to replace it with the A05.
    >
    > Rephrase: Why does dell updater-thang make this mistake? Is there more
    > than one 05?

    No. The Dell updater thing is incredibly dumb and useless IMHO.

    pen <pen34usnospam@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:

    > "Thomas G. Marshall"
    > <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
    > wrote in message news:c2Arc.517$yc4.237@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...
    >> pen <pen34usnospam@hotmail.com> coughed up the following:
    >>
    >>> You can go here and read all about it;

    http://support.dell.com/FileLib/Type.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&Category=1&OS=NAA&OSL=EN&SvcTag=&SysID=DIM_PNT_P4_8300&DeviceID=308
    >>> Watch the wrap. 4 and 5 don't seem that important
    >>> but you should look it over.
    >>

    >> What does it mean when the bios flash says that I HAVE the A05, and
    >> asks
    >> if I want to replace it with the A05.
    >>
    >> Rephrase: Why does dell updater-thang make this mistake? Is there
    >> more
    >> than one 05?
    >
    > No. The Dell updater thing is incredibly dumb and useless IMHO.

    I'm assuming that I should listen to

    answersthatwork.org

    (not a bad assumption), and axe

    support.exe

    (the dell updater thang) altogether? Seems a little too goofy to me.

    --
    While using is ok, actually /writing/ free software is a disingenuous
    activity. You can afford to write software for free only because of
    someone else somewhere actually paying for it. Just say no.

Dell BIOS Computers