Strange thing right after bootup

Hi all,

The last days when I boot up my Inspiron 5100 laptop, it starts
normally, then when I try to launch any program, whether it be a web
site or a program, it will not do so. Doing a warm or cold boot does
not seem to help although I can't be sure. It seems that after some
time goes by, it begins to function normally once again. Don't know
what else to say, any thoughts?

Fox

Have you tried starting the task manager to see what the CPU load is? How
about monitoring the drive activity light or checking the event logs?

<lwfox@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> The last days when I boot up my Inspiron 5100 laptop, it starts
> normally, then when I try to launch any program, whether it be a web
> site or a program, it will not do so. Doing a warm or cold boot does
> not seem to help although I can't be sure. It seems that after some
> time goes by, it begins to functi onnormallyonceagain.Don'tknow
> what else to say, any thoughts?
>
> Fox

fox

No I had not, will look into that.

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:06:25 -0400, "MrMike6by9"
<MrMike6by9@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Have you tried starting the task manager to see what the CPU load is? How
>about monitoring the drive activity light or checking the event logs?
>
><lwfox@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The last days when I boot up my Inspiron 5100 laptop, it starts
>> normally, then when I try to launch any program, whether it be a web
>> site or a program, it will not do so. Doing a warm or cold boot does
>> not seem to help although I can't be sure. It seems that after some
>> time goes by, it begins to functi onnormallyonceagain.Don'tknow
>> what else to say, any thoughts?
>>
>> Fox

try restoring back to an earlier date, one that you recall when it did
work...
start-allprograms-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore... then follow
prompts.

<lwfox@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> The last days when I boot up my Inspiron 5100 laptop, it starts
> normally, then when I try to launch any program, whether it be a web
> site or a program, it will not do so. Doing a warm or cold boot does
> not seem to help although I can't be sure. It seems that after some
> time goes by, it begins to function normally once again. Don't know
> what else to say, any thoughts?
>
> Fox

fox

Good advice, I will see what I can do, thank you

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:59:25 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
<muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>try restoring back to an earlier date, one that you recall when it did
>work...
>start-allprograms-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore... then follow
>prompts.
>
><lwfox@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> The last days when I boot up my Inspiron 5100 laptop, it starts
>> normally, then when I try to launch any program, whether it be a web
>> site or a program, it will not do so. Doing a warm or cold boot does
>> not seem to help although I can't be sure. It seems that after some
>> time goes by, it begins to functi onnormallyonceagain.Don'tknow
>> what else to say, any thoughts?
>>
>> Fox

did you recently install windows xp service pack 2?
if you did it would be listed in add/remove programs... i have found that
several wireless network cards have crippling effects with sp2... currently
the only solution is to uninstall sp2 until microsoft address the issue.

"Fox" <lwfox@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Good advice, I will see what I can do, thank you
>

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:59:25 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
> <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >try restoring back to an earlier date, one that you recall when it did
> >work...
> >start-allprograms-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore... then follow
> >prompts.
> >
> ><lwfox@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> The last days when I boot up my Inspiron 5100 laptop, it starts
> >> normally, then when I try to launch any program, whether it be a web
> >> site or a program, it will not do so. Doing a warm or cold boot does
> >> not seem to help although I can't be sure. It seems that after some
> >> time goes by, it begins to functi onnormallyonceagain.Don'tknow
> >> what else to say, any thoughts?
> >>
> >> Fox

fox

Yes I did, and now that I think about it, that might be about the time
the concern began. That is a good thought, I may have to try that.
Thank you again..