Pentium 4 Whats next?

Rabbitrunner51

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
OK! now its all about the high end P4's and AthlonXp's but what is the story on the newest 64 bit architechture processors? Are we looking to get a P5 or what? How about a processor that rakes up to 5GHZ? would this be impossible.There is only so much a single processor can do and then the future will be two at the same time,like the dual Zeons are now.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
How about a processor that rakes up to 5GHZ? would this be impossible
When Intel designed the P4 architecture they stated it was designed to scale up to 10Ghz (With process shrinks and minor optimizations). Whilst that's always going to be optimistic, 5Ghz should be no problem in a few years.

then the future will be two at the same time
Well Intel's hyperthreading is kind of a step in that direction - not 2 actual CPUs of course, but the CPU has 2 execution units. I do agree that multiple cores will be a sensible step. The only issue of course is that writing a multi-threaded application that properly utilizes both(or however many) processors is <i>much</i> more difficult than writing for just one CPU.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink: