am i going to be ripped off?

i phoned up my ISP which is AOL to enquire about wirless and they told
me that since i am on the lowest price plan Silver that it was not
available and i had to uprgrade to gold, i mean i pay £17.99 a month
which is a bit steep and now they want me to pay £24 a month surley
this is a con??

Why wouldnt silver work with wireless?? surley wireless works with
everything rite?

any comments on this would be graetly appreciated as i dont want to
get ripped off.

thanx

Andy
5 answers Last reply
More about ripped

    Wireless has to do with the hardware, not the Internet Service Provider. You are doing
    the wireless networking, not your ISP. (with the exception of whether you want them to
    supply the wireless hardware) You can purchase you own wireless router, new, for about
    $50 U.S. and up, depending on the area to be covered, and do it yourself. From what I
    have read in posts, in the UK there are not as many inexpensive broadband options as in
    the U.S. Here in the U.S., just about every major broadband provider is vying for
    subscribers. Major phone companies offering DSL connections have TV commercials for free
    wireless throughout the home, supplying hardware, as do the major cable companies. Not
    only does Road Runner cable broadband offer wireless at the same cost as wired, there is
    only a one time installation fee, which is less expensive than if you had purchased the
    hardware itself, and then they add to the package something like 10 hours monthly of free
    dialup for your account if you are away from home and want to connect.
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "andrew_Playford" <Andrew.Playford@cps.gsi.gov-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    > i phoned up my ISP which is AOL to enquire about wirless and they told
    > me that since i am on the lowest price plan Silver that it was not
    > available and i had to uprgrade to gold, i mean i pay £17.99 a month
    > which is a bit steep and now they want me to pay £24 a month surley
    > this is a con??
    >
    > Why wouldnt silver work with wireless?? surley wireless works with
    > everything rite?
    >
    > any comments on this would be graetly appreciated as i dont want to
    > get ripped off.
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > Andy

    The "A" in A O Hell is for America On Line, not U.K. On Line, capiche?
    Don't you have local ISPs for the service you want, you may be better off.
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    In news:osKdnU4yHZ8gU4TeRVn_vA@giganews.com,
    andrew_Playford <Andrew.Playford@cps.gsi.gov-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> typed:
    > i phoned up my ISP which is AOL to enquire about wirless and they told
    > me that since i am on the lowest price plan Silver that it was not
    > available and i had to uprgrade to gold, i mean i pay £17.99 a month
    > which is a bit steep and now they want me to pay £24 a month surley
    > this is a con??
    >
    > Why wouldnt silver work with wireless?? surley wireless works with
    > everything rite?
    >
    > any comments on this would be graetly appreciated as i dont want to
    > get ripped off.
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > Andy

    Well, if you ask me, AOL itself is a ripoff. Are they your only option? Can
    you not sign up with a real ISP (not a content provider) for broadband, and
    then purchase and install a broadband router/firewall that has wireless
    networking included? That's what I'd do.

    Andrew

    Go to either of these websites for details on 'wireless' internet
    connection.. essentially, you connect the ISP provided cable/DSL modem to
    the router, and then you can use either cable or wireless card hook up to
    the modem.. you might also want to look for a better provider than AOL..

    http://www.netgear.co.uk/

    http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "andrew_Playford" <Andrew.Playford@cps.gsi.gov-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote
    in message news:osKdnU4yHZ8gU4TeRVn_vA@giganews.com...
    >i phoned up my ISP which is AOL to enquire about wirless and they told
    > me that since i am on the lowest price plan Silver that it was not
    > available and i had to uprgrade to gold, i mean i pay £17.99 a month
    > which is a bit steep and now they want me to pay £24 a month surley
    > this is a con??
    >
    > Why wouldnt silver work with wireless?? surley wireless works with
    > everything rite?
    >
    > any comments on this would be graetly appreciated as i dont want to
    > get ripped off.
    >
    > thanx
    >
    > Andy

    On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 11:26:37 -0500,
    Andrew.Playford@cps.gsi.gov-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (andrew_Playford)
    wrote:

    >i phoned up my ISP which is AOL to enquire about wirless and they told
    >me that since i am on the lowest price plan Silver that it was not
    >available and i had to uprgrade to gold, i mean i pay £17.99 a month
    >which is a bit steep and now they want me to pay £24 a month surley
    >this is a con??

    That would really depend on the speed of the wireless connection to
    AOL. If it is the SAME speed as the speed of your dialup (at most,
    56kbps), you really would have no advantage in using a wireless
    connection.

    The only advantage in using a wireless connection would be if it
    allowed for GREATER-than-voice/fax-modem speeds, and you had no other
    way of getting broadband speeds.

    It also depends on the METHOD AOL uses to DELIVER the wireless signal
    to you, such as DSL, CABLE, or SATELLITE, which would ALL use a
    COMPLETELY different type of modem (digital rather than analog, and
    which would be connected from the wall to the modem via either a CATV
    cable or, in the case of DSL, via a standard phone cable). The way
    you would connect from the modem to your machine would be by a
    standard Ethernet cable running from the modem to a wireless network
    card installed in your machine, rather than a standard phone line, as
    in the case of a voice/fax modem.

    >Why wouldnt silver work with wireless?? surley wireless works with
    >everything rite?

    Unless you have a specialized modem for a broadband signal, you would
    be unable to recieve such a signal. If your machine and OS are setup
    to use ONLY a voice/fax modem, you would be UNABLE to receive a
    wireless signal. To put is bluntly, WIRELESS is NOT a "POTS" signal
    delivered via a telephone line, it is a RADIO signal, delivered over
    the Airwaves. Voice/fax modems are NOT able to receive (or send) such
    signals. So wireless does NOT "work with everything".

    Wireless ONLY works with a WIRELESS network card. The method used in
    Windows to connect to a network card is COMPLETELY different from the
    method used to connect Windows to a voice/fax modem.

    By the way, did you know that ALL ISPs' much-advertised "broadband
    speeds at dialup prices" are ACTUALLY a RIP-OFF, since the speed of a
    signal delivered via a voice/fax modem CANNOT physically exceed 56kbps
    (the actual top speed of an analog modem. In most cases, this is
    approximately 40-50kbps ,unless, of course, you live way out in the
    country, where your speeds are more likely to be 14-28kbps.)

    >any comments on this would be graetly appreciated as i dont want to
    >get ripped off.
    >
    >thanx
    >
    >Andy

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread.
    If you must reply via email, remove the obvious
    from my email address before sending.

Wireless Internet Service Providers Silver Windows XP