Our family has a computer with Windows XP (with Service Packs) and I have
the resolution at 800x600 and my daughter has the display set at 1024x768.

I have several desktop icons positioned on the left, top and right sides and
my daughter has her icons set at the left.

The problem is when we change users from me to her then back to me all of my
icons are grouped at the left.

Question: Is there a way to preserve the location of my icons even after
changing users?

(It's a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop)

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Try this...

Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Lock Web Items on Desktop

Lock Web Items on Desktop
[[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that you have placed on
your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box to
lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
move Web content.]]

If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11hjk18gicvcif8@corp.supernews.com,
Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
> Our family has a computer with Windows XP (with Service Packs) and I have
> the resolution at 800x600 and my daughter has the display set at 1024x768.
>
> I have several desktop icons positioned on the left, top and right sides
> and my daughter has her icons set at the left.
>
> The problem is when we change users from me to her then back to me all of
> my icons are grouped at the left.
>
> Question: Is there a way to preserve the location of my icons even after
> changing users?
>
> (It's a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop)
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA

Wesley,

Thanks for trying but didn't work.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

> Try this...
>
> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Lock Web Items on Desktop
>
> Lock Web Items on Desktop
> [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that you have placed on
> your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box
> lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
> move Web content.]]
>
> If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
> Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:11hjk18gicvcif8@corp.supernews.com,
> Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
>> Our family has a computer with Windows XP (with Service Packs) and I have
>> the resolution at 800x600 and my daughter has the display set at
>> 1024x768.
>>
>> I have several desktop icons positioned on the left, top and right sides
>> and my daughter has her icons set at the left.
>>
>> The problem is when we change users from me to her then back to me all of
>> my icons are grouped at the left.
>>
>> Question: Is there a way to preserve the location of my icons even after
>> changing users?
>>
>> (It's a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop)
>>

>> --
>> Don
>> Vancouver, USA

Don,

Try the layout.dll.

[[Icons - Lock on Desktop
"In Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP you can lock down the position of the
Desktop icons using a couple of files from the MS Windows NT 4.0 Resource
Kit.]]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_i.htm

[[Microsoft's Layout.dll (free) file, which is included in the Windows NT
Resource Kit, can be installed on Windows 2000 and XP systems. This adds the
Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout options to the
pop-up menus associated with system icons like the Recycle Bin and My
Computer. It's a bare-bones solution that lacks the useful frills found in
EzDesk, but it gets the job done.]]

zipped layout.dll
http://www.nthelp.com/proggy/layout.zip

[[Make Desktop Icons Stay in Place
1. Download the zip file that comes from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit.
Don't worry! It'll work with your Windows XP machine.
2. Copy the files in the .zip file onto the desktop. Then place Layout.dll
in your WINDOWS\System32 directory.
3. After the layout.dll is in the right directory, double click on the
layout.reg file.
4. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. You should see two
new commands: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout.
Use them to save and restore your icon arrangement. ]]
http://www.wxpnews.com/index.cfm?id=52

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11hjn3ohs9pef2f@corp.supernews.com,
Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> Thanks for trying but didn't work.
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA

>> Try this...
>>
>> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Lock Web Items on Desktop
>>
>> Lock Web Items on Desktop
>> [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that you have placed on
>> your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box
>> lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
>> move Web content.]]
>>
>> If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
>> Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:11hjk18gicvcif8@corp.supernews.com,
>> Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
>>> Our family has a computer with Windows XP (with Service Packs) and I
>>> have the resolution at 800x600 and my daughter has the display set at
>>> 1024x768.
>>>
>>> I have several desktop icons positioned on the left, top and right sides
>>> and my daughter has her icons set at the left.
>>>
>>> The problem is when we change users from me to her then back to me all
>>> of my icons are grouped at the left.
>>>
>>> Question: Is there a way to preserve the location of my icons even after
>>> changing users?
>>>
>>> (It's a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop)
>>>

>>> --
>>> Don
>>> Vancouver, USA

Right-click on Desktop|
Arrange Icons By |Align to Grid

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Don Schmidt wrote:
> Our family has a computer with Windows XP (with Service Packs) and I have
> the resolution at 800x600 and my daughter has the display set at 1024x768.
>
> I have several desktop icons positioned on the left, top and right sides and
> my daughter has her icons set at the left.
>
> The problem is when we change users from me to her then back to me all of my
> icons are grouped at the left.
>
> Question: Is there a way to preserve the location of my icons even after
> changing users?
>
> (It's a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop)

Thanks for the response but I have that selected and after my daughter uses
the lap and I re-logon, all the desktop icons are neatly aligned to grid on
the left side.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> Right-click on Desktop|
> Arrange Icons By |Align to Grid
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>

> Don Schmidt wrote:
>> Our family has a computer with Windows XP (with Service Packs) and I have
>> the resolution at 800x600 and my daughter has the display set at
>> 1024x768.
>>
>> I have several desktop icons positioned on the left, top and right sides
>> and my daughter has her icons set at the left.
>>
>> The problem is when we change users from me to her then back to me all of
>> my icons are grouped at the left.
>>
>> Question: Is there a way to preserve the location of my icons even after
>> changing users?
>>
>> (It's a Dell Inspiron 700m laptop)

Wesley,
Do just copy layout.dll into the System folder?

Don

> Don,
>
> Try the layout.dll.
>
> [[Icons - Lock on Desktop
> "In Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP you can lock down the position of the
> Desktop icons using a couple of files from the MS Windows NT 4.0 Resource
> Kit.]]
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_i.htm
>
> [[Microsoft's Layout.dll (free) file, which is included in the Windows NT
> Resource Kit, can be installed on Windows 2000 and XP systems. This adds
> the
> Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout options to the
> pop-up menus associated with system icons like the Recycle Bin and My
> Computer. It's a bare-bones solution that lacks the useful frills found in
> EzDesk, but it gets the job done.]]
>
> zipped layout.dll
> http://www.nthelp.com/proggy/layout.zip
>
> [[Make Desktop Icons Stay in Place
> 1. Download the zip file that comes from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource Kit.
> Don't worry! It'll work with your Windows XP machine.
> 2. Copy the files in the .zip file onto the desktop. Then place
> Layout.dll
> in your WINDOWS\System32 directory.
> 3. After the layout.dll is in the right directory, double click on the
> layout.reg file.
> 4. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. You should see
> two
> new commands: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout.
> Use them to save and restore your icon arrangement. ]]
> http://www.wxpnews.com/index.cfm?id=52
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:11hjn3ohs9pef2f@corp.supernews.com,
> Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
>> Wesley,
>>
>> Thanks for trying but didn't work.
>>

>> --
>> Don
>> Vancouver, USA

>>> Try this...
>>>
>>> Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By | Lock Web Items on Desktop
>>>
>>> Lock Web Items on Desktop
>>> [[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that you have placed on
>>> your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check
>>> box
>>> lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
>>> move Web content.]]
>>>
>>> If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
>>> Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:11hjk18gicvcif8@corp.supernews.com,
>>> Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:

Sure, that way you can save it somewhere else.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:11hlqhrj6ehnob5@corp.supernews.com,
Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
> Do just copy layout.dll into the System folder?
>
> Don

>> Don,
>>
>> Try the layout.dll.
>>
>> [[Icons - Lock on Desktop
>> "In Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP you can lock down the position of the
>> Desktop icons using a couple of files from the MS Windows NT 4.0 Resource
>> Kit.]]
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_i.htm
>>
>> [[Microsoft's Layout.dll (free) file, which is included in the Windows NT
>> Resource Kit, can be installed on Windows 2000 and XP systems. This adds
>> the
>> Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout options to the
>> pop-up menus associated with system icons like the Recycle Bin and My
>> Computer. It's a bare-bones solution that lacks the useful frills found
>> in EzDesk, but it gets the job done.]]
>>
>> zipped layout.dll
>> http://www.nthelp.com/proggy/layout.zip
>>
>> [[Make Desktop Icons Stay in Place
>> 1. Download the zip file that comes from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource
>> Kit. Don't worry! It'll work with your Windows XP machine.
>> 2. Copy the files in the .zip file onto the desktop. Then place
>> Layout.dll
>> in your WINDOWS\System32 directory.
>> 3. After the layout.dll is in the right directory, double click on the
>> layout.reg file.
>> 4. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. You should see
>> two
>> new commands: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon
>> Layout. Use them to save and restore your icon arrangement. ]]
>> http://www.wxpnews.com/index.cfm?id=52
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:11hjn3ohs9pef2f@corp.supernews.com,
>> Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
>>> Wesley,
>>>
>>> Thanks for trying but didn't work.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Don
>>> Vancouver, USA

Wesley,

There is a Layout.reg and a Layout.dll in the zip package. Do I just double
click the reg file and it will install the dll file?

Don

> Sure, that way you can save it somewhere else.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:11hlqhrj6ehnob5@corp.supernews.com,
> Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:
>> Wesley,
>> Do just copy layout.dll into the System folder?
>>
>> Don

>>> Don,
>>>
>>> Try the layout.dll.
>>>
>>> [[Icons - Lock on Desktop
>>> "In Windows 95/98/NT/2000/ME/XP you can lock down the position of the
>>> Desktop icons using a couple of files from the MS Windows NT 4.0
>>> Resource
>>> Kit.]]
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_i.htm
>>>
>>> [[Microsoft's Layout.dll (free) file, which is included in the Windows
>>> NT
>>> Resource Kit, can be installed on Windows 2000 and XP systems. This adds
>>> the
>>> Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout options to the
>>> pop-up menus associated with system icons like the Recycle Bin and My
>>> Computer. It's a bare-bones solution that lacks the useful frills found
>>> in EzDesk, but it gets the job done.]]
>>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1593475,00.asp
>>>
>>> zipped layout.dll
>>> http://www.nthelp.com/proggy/layout.zip
>>>
>>> [[Make Desktop Icons Stay in Place
>>> 1. Download the zip file that comes from the Windows NT 4.0 Resource
>>> Kit. Don't worry! It'll work with your Windows XP machine.
>>> 2. Copy the files in the .zip file onto the desktop. Then place
>>> Layout.dll
>>> in your WINDOWS\System32 directory.
>>> 3. After the layout.dll is in the right directory, double click on the
>>> layout.reg file.
>>> 4. Right click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. You should see
>>> two
>>> new commands: Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon
>>> Layout. Use them to save and restore your icon arrangement. ]]
>>> http://www.wxpnews.com/index.cfm?id=52
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:11hjn3ohs9pef2f@corp.supernews.com,
>>> Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> hunted and pecked:

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Don Schmidt <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote on Sun, 4 Sep 2005:

>Wesley,
>
>There is a Layout.reg and a Layout.dll in the zip package. Do I just double
>click the reg file and it will install the dll file?

Hi Don

Just move the layout.dll file into Windows\system32. Then double-click
the .reg file and it will install the context menus for you.

I use this and it works very well. One thing -- when you need to restore
your layout, it may sometimes seem as if it has done only part of the
job. But click on the "restore" option again and it will do a bit more;
again, and it will do a bit more, until all your icons are back in
place.

--
Nightowl

Thanks for the clarifying. I hope I can return the favor to you folks. I
appreciate the help.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA