New Oem rules only applies to multi packs not single oem v..

"OEM system builder software packs are intended for PC and
server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended
for distribution to end users. Unless the end user is actually
assembling his/her own PC, in which case, that end user is considered
a system builder as well."

From reading the above provided by another mvp. This only applies to
packs. Packs is more than one. This rule only applies if you get
the multiple oem disk not a single oem disk.

I have rebuilt a Compaq system-so that make me a system builder.

Greg Ro

See the following:

"OEM versions are intended for system builders only and
cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed.
Purchasers of this software are required to comply with
the terms of the System Builder License, including responsibility
for providing all end-user support."

Ref: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102153

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> See the following:
>
> "OEM versions are intended for system builders only and
> cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed.
> Purchasers of this software are required to comply with
> the terms of the System Builder License, including responsibility
> for providing all end-user support."
>
> Ref: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102153

And when a computer is upgraded to the point when it becomes "another
computer" is totally undefined in any actual agreement!

--
Peace!
Kurt

*Grin*

This is one of the few times I agree with your Kurt.

At what point have you stopped upgrading ONE computer, and moved to having
another computer?

Matt Gibson - GSEC

> Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
>> See the following:
>>
>> "OEM versions are intended for system builders only and
>> cannot be transferred to another PC once it is installed.
>> Purchasers of this software are required to comply with
>> the terms of the System Builder License, including responsibility
>> for providing all end-user support."
>>
>> Ref: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102153
>
> And when a computer is upgraded to the point when it becomes "another
> computer" is totally undefined in any actual agreement!
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

When you replace the motherboard with a totally different motherboard.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> When you replace the motherboard with a totally different motherboard.

Let's stop beating around the bush on this. Bruce Chambers
has spoken and I respect his opinion and interpretation far
more. The problem with these forums today is that there is
a dearth of experience and understanding. Where are all of
the old-time MCSE's and MCP's? It was a gross error on MS's
part when it pushed MVP's above them.

Carey,

Does MS have a document where it states that?

So, just because my motherboard has died, and I can no longer find the same
motherboard, I can no longer legally use the OEM copy of windows?

Matt Gibson - GSEC

Matt Gibson wrote:
> *Grin*
>
> This is one of the few times I agree with your Kurt.
>
> At what point have you stopped upgrading ONE computer, and moved to
> having another computer?
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC

Personally, I define my computer as my computer, and it never becomes
another computer, no matter what components I change.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

It's not a matter of interpretation, its a matter of fact.

My information is factual based on information
obtained from the Microsoft System Builder web site.
They have a newsgroup dedicated to OEM questions,
moderated by Microsoft employees knowledgeable with
OEM licensing and rules.

I am a registered System Builder and understand the rules,
the System Builder and OEM licensing agreements. If a
questions arises concerning the agreements, I ask the
Microsoft employee OEM professionals for advice.

Anyone else "interpreting" the agreements are doing so
at there own risk of being incorrect and disseminating
misinformation.

If you have a further questions, please consult the
OEM System Builders web site (registration required).
http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=2

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"GHalleck" wrote:

| Let's stop beating around the bush on this. Bruce Chambers
| has spoken and I respect his opinion and interpretation far
| more. The problem with these forums today is that there is
| a dearth of experience and understanding. Where are all of
| the old-time MCSE's and MCP's? It was a gross error on MS's
| part when it pushed MVP's above them.

If you installed the "generic" OEM Microsoft Windows XP version,
and your motherboard died, you can replace the motherboard,
and activate Windows XP via the phone method to obtain a new
activation code at no charge.

If you have a "branded" manufacturer's motherboard running
a "branded" (i.e. Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) version of Windows XP,
then, unfortunately, your "branded" OEM license is no longer
valid and you'll have to acquire a new Windows XP license.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

| Does MS have a document where it states that?
|
| So, just because my motherboard has died, and I can no longer find the same
| motherboard, I can no longer legally use the OEM copy of windows?
|
| Matt Gibson - GSEC

*nod*

That's a big difference in my mind.

Matt Gibson - GSEC

> If you installed the "generic" OEM Microsoft Windows XP version,
> and your motherboard died, you can replace the motherboard,
> and activate Windows XP via the phone method to obtain a new
> activation code at no charge.
>
> If you have a "branded" manufacturer's motherboard running
> a "branded" (i.e. Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) version of Windows XP,
> then, unfortunately, your "branded" OEM license is no longer
> valid and you'll have to acquire a new Windows XP license.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Matt Gibson" wrote:
>
> | Does MS have a document where it states that?
> |
> | So, just because my motherboard has died, and I can no longer find the
> same
> | motherboard, I can no longer legally use the OEM copy of windows?
> |
> | Matt Gibson - GSEC

This is one of the many times I agree with you Kurt ;-)))

Personally, I define my computer as my computer, and it never becomes
> another computer, no matter what components I change.

Anyway, a question. Looks like my integrated graphics, sound and ethernet
was fried in a surge and I have to replace my motherboard. I recently
downloaded Microsoft Antispyware and did the validate your copy of Windows
thing. Will changing my motherboard affect my copy of XP Pro ???

Thanks!!!

MAK.

"webejammin" wrote:

| Anyway, a question. Looks like my integrated graphics, sound and ethernet
| was fried in a surge and I have to replace my motherboard. I recently
| downloaded Microsoft Antispyware and did the validate your copy of Windows
| thing. Will changing my motherboard affect my copy of XP Pro ???
|
| Thanks!!!
|
| MAK.

It's a Gateway, so I presume a "branded" motherboard. So exactly what does
this mean? I no longer will be able to receive Windows Updates, etc. Do I
have to acquire a new Windows XP license. Does acquiring a new license mean
purchasing one? I would appreciate if you would elaborate and explain my
options.

Many Thanks!!!

MAK.

> If you installed the "generic" OEM Microsoft Windows XP version,
> and your motherboard died, you can replace the motherboard,
> and activate Windows XP via the phone method to obtain a new
> activation code at no charge.
>
> If you have a "branded" manufacturer's motherboard running
> a "branded" (i.e. Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) version of Windows XP,
> then, unfortunately, your "branded" OEM license is no longer
> valid and you'll have to acquire a new Windows XP license.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

-----------------

> "webejammin" wrote:
>
> | Anyway, a question. Looks like my integrated graphics, sound and
ethernet
> | was fried in a surge and I have to replace my motherboard. I recently
> | downloaded Microsoft Antispyware and did the validate your copy of
Windows
> | thing. Will changing my motherboard affect my copy of XP Pro ???
> |
> | Thanks!!!
> |
> | MAK.

If you have a Gateway PC that came preinstalled with a Gateway Windows XP
operating system, and your motherboard died, your Gateway Windows XP license
will only remain valid if you installed a Gateway motherboard replacement.

If you were to install a different motherboard, then the license effectively dies
with the Gateway motherboard and you'll have to purchase a new, conventional
version of Windows XP and proceed with a "repair install".

Example:

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16837102151

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:
> It's not a matter of interpretation, its a matter of fact.
>
> My information is factual based on information
> obtained from the Microsoft System Builder web site.
> They have a newsgroup dedicated to OEM questions,
> moderated by Microsoft employees knowledgeable with
> OEM licensing and rules.
>
> I am a registered System Builder and understand the rules,
> the System Builder and OEM licensing agreements. If a
> questions arises concerning the agreements, I ask the
> Microsoft employee OEM professionals for advice.
>
> Anyone else "interpreting" the agreements are doing so
> at there own risk of being incorrect and disseminating
> misinformation.
>
> If you have a further questions, please consult the
> OEM System Builders web site (registration required).
> http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=2

Did non-registered System Builders EVER agree to be held to what that
site says?

If not, then you're interpreting for System Builders that they must
follow rules they never agreed is disseminating misinformation.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Many Thanks for the advice... I intended to call Gateway for the
replacement, but had looked else where, the difference in cost is nominal
and certainly not worth the hassle of using another board.

MAK.

webejammin wrote:
> It's a Gateway, so I presume a "branded" motherboard.

Yes.

> So exactly what
> does this mean?

Your present install is tied to info stored in your BIOS, and once
change Mobos, you will almost definitely need to activate your copy, and
be forced to activate by phone. More than likely before that happens,
you will need to perform a reinstall of some kind. Hopefully you got a
reinstall disk from Gateway, not a recovery image.

As for phone activation, you'll need to come up with a confincing story
about why you need to activate. The best one is that you slipstreamed
SP2 into your reinstall disk and that triggered activation.

> I no longer will be able to receive Windows Updates,
> etc.

Now we get into validation. I'm not certain how that will react. I
have the feeling that it will fail.

If it does, you can spend time and energy looking to get MS to fix it,
or you can ignore it, and directly download updates from MS, turn on
autoupdate, or disable the WGA ActiveX component.

> Do I have to acquire a new Windows XP license.

MS's answer is yes. Reality's answer is maybe.

> Does acquiring a
> new license mean purchasing one?

Hell yeah!

> I would appreciate if you would
> elaborate and explain my options.

If all you got is a recovery image, then you may have to buy a new copy
of XP, if you cannot find a friend that has a generic OEM Install CD
that you can make a copy of, and use your Product Key.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Really, what a crock of cr*p... Being in the islands the electricity comes
and goes like the rising and setting sun. UPS fails for some unknown reason
and my motherboard gets fried and now my *legitimate* copy of Window XP
might be like my motherboard. Anyhow, will follow Carey's advice and see how
Gateway deals with it. Otherwise, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

As we say in the islands... Tank's Mon (Kurt)

MAK.

In article <OJzBK3KsFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
mattg@blueedgetech.ca says...
> At what point have you stopped upgrading ONE computer, and moved to having
> another computer?

According to the OEM System builders site, and not the EULA, the
motherboard is defined as the "Computer" for determination of Upgrade.
The System Builder state permits changing a defective board with the
same or a different one if the same is not available.

As Kurt has been kind enough to point out - this is not in the EULA and
is not presented to the end-user.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Totally irrelevant. Would you expect Dell to support a customer who removes
a Dell motherboard and installs some other motherboard, then calls Dell for
support assistance related to a motherboard issue? That is exactly why OEM
licenses are a one-shot deal!

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> It's not a matter of interpretation, its a matter of fact.
>
> My information is factual based on information
> obtained from the Microsoft System Builder web site.
> They have a newsgroup dedicated to OEM questions,
> moderated by Microsoft employees knowledgeable with
> OEM licensing and rules.
>
> I am a registered System Builder and understand the rules,
> the System Builder and OEM licensing agreements. If a
> questions arises concerning the agreements, I ask the
> Microsoft employee OEM professionals for advice.
>
> Anyone else "interpreting" the agreements are doing so
> at there own risk of being incorrect and disseminating
> misinformation.
>
> If you have a further questions, please consult the
> OEM System Builders web site (registration required).
> http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=2

Carey, I think I am significantly older than you and have been
a system builder far longer than you. You are entitled to your
own interpretation just as the next person. The problem you have
is that your ego is insufficient to accept the notion that you
wish to deal with the absolute. I warrant my products and if I
need to replace the motherboard

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> It's not a matter of interpretation, its a matter of fact.
>
> My information is factual based on information
> obtained from the Microsoft System Builder web site.
> They have a newsgroup dedicated to OEM questions,
> moderated by Microsoft employees knowledgeable with
> OEM licensing and rules.
>
> I am a registered System Builder and understand the rules,
> the System Builder and OEM licensing agreements. If a
> questions arises concerning the agreements, I ask the
> Microsoft employee OEM professionals for advice.

<<snipped>>

There are many of us who have contributed to these Microsoft
forums and know the regular participants. I have known of Bruce
Chambers longer than you. And his experience is respected. This
may be something you might never learn to earn.

Everything is open to interpretation. You really think that a
Microsoft employee has the education and training to understand
legalese? Right...you can defer to a Microsoft employee; me, I
ask my attorney and these agreements are written by attorneys
for other attorneys and not we engineer-MBA types, or whatever.
There are facts and they don't mean damn until someone decides
to have it arbitrated in a court of [civil] law.

You are the same as "anyone else 'interpreting' the agreements..."
and you provide, at your "...own risk of being incorrect and

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Totally irrelevant. Would you expect Dell to support a customer who removes
> a Dell motherboard and installs some other motherboard, then calls Dell for
> support assistance related to a motherboard issue? That is exactly why OEM
> licenses are a one-shot deal!

Correct...answer is totally irrelevant. Who wrote anything about
the example Dell replacing a Dell motherboard with anything else
but a Dell motherboard? Does Dell really replace a Dell motherboard
on a warranty repair job with anything else but a Dell motherboard?
And, isn't it antitrust for Microsoft to prevent Dell from honoring
its warranties and guarantees by replacing a motherboard with another
of its own? The statement: "OEM license are a one-shot deal" cannot
be sustained when the OEM, whomever it might be, is involved.

In article <A98F3C13-1310-4DC1-A186-DA1735E2B804@microsoft.com>,
Carey Frisch [MVP] favored us with...
> When you replace the motherboard with a totally different motherboard.

That just happened, seven months after I got my computer, because the
old one fried. So I now have a different computer? Doesn't make sense
to me.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
"And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child