dell Notebooks Which one do you reccomend?

carrie

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

I have never owned a notebook.I am hunting for a desktop replacement.At
least a 15`` screen...cd/rw...wireless...40 gig hd.prerabibly with a
graphics card.
Use is for work ...low key games....need something solidly
built....thinking about 4 year warranty...do not understand battery numbers
(96?...60?}or different screens WUGA...XFGA.Can someone one please enlighten
me on those spechs and recommend a model.I was looking at the 9100 and the
1150...is there something in between that you could recommend.I do know
desktops but notebooks are a complete new area for me.
Any users of those notebooks please share your
trhoughts...Thanks...Peace..Harry

The 1150 won't meet your specs - it has non-upgradeable integrated video.
The 5150 might, but investigate the 1100/1150/5100/5150 before buying - they
have a reputation for overheating.

The 8600/D8xx series might meet your needs.

The 9100 is not very portable - you may want to trade off some CPU power for
a smaller, lighter size.

"Carrie" <carriegoodman6537@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have never owned a notebook.I am hunting for a desktop replacement.At
> least a 15`` screen...cd/rw...wireless...40 gig hd.prerabibly with a
> graphics card.
> Use is for work ...low key games....need something solidly
> built....thinking about 4 year warranty...do not understand battery
numbers
> (96?...60?}or different screens WUGA...XFGA.Can someone one please
enlighten
> me on those spechs and recommend a model.I was looking at the 9100 and the
> 1150...is there something in between that you could recommend.I do know
> desktops but notebooks are a complete new area for me.
> Any users of those notebooks please share your
> trhoughts...Thanks...Peace..Harry

If you are wanting something solidly built, you may want to consider
something besides Dell. I service laptops and Dell is a good performer,
however, the are very flimsy and build quality is cheap. The IBM ThinkPad's
are built much better than Dell.
"Carrie" <carriegoodman6537@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have never owned a notebook.I am hunting for a desktop replacement.At
> least a 15`` screen...cd/rw...wireless...40 gig hd.prerabibly with a
> graphics card.
> Use is for work ...low key games....need something solidly
> built....thinking about 4 year warranty...do not understand battery
numbers
> (96?...60?}or different screens WUGA...XFGA.Can someone one please
enlighten
> me on those spechs and recommend a model.I was looking at the 9100 and the
> 1150...is there something in between that you could recommend.I do know
> desktops but notebooks are a complete new area for me.
> Any users of those notebooks please share your
> trhoughts...Thanks...Peace..Harry

Javi

Distinguished
May 18, 2004

Dont buy Dell Computers, customer support, satisfaction warranty, and tech
support is a real nightmare. Dell bring the worst customer service.

"Carrie" <carriegoodman6537@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> I have never owned a notebook.I am hunting for a desktop replacement.At
> least a 15`` screen...cd/rw...wireless...40 gig hd.prerabibly with a
> graphics card.
> Use is for work ...low key games....need something solidly
> built....thinking about 4 year warranty...do not understand battery
numbers
> (96?...60?}or different screens WUGA...XFGA.Can someone one please
enlighten
> me on those spechs and recommend a model.I was looking at the 9100 and the
> 1150...is there something in between that you could recommend.I do know
> desktops but notebooks are a complete new area for me.
> Any users of those notebooks please share your
> trhoughts...Thanks...Peace..Harry

It may be YOUR experience that Dell has poor customer support and warranty,
but I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 5100 in February, and I received great
service. It was shipped to me quickly. When I called to order an ATI Radeon
9000 64 mb video card from them, it was almost TOO easy. A couple of minutes
later, it was on it's way to me, and should arrive in 7 - 10 working days.
So, while these may be your experiences, they certainly aren'y everyone's.

laptop, an Inspiron 5100. It is an excellent desktop replacement, and also
plays games rather well. However, the 51oo is no longer sold, and they now
have the 5150, which is almost the same, except that it uses the Pentium "M"
cpu, instead of a regular old desktop CPU.

"Inspiron 5100" <not@home.today> wrote in message
> It may be YOUR experience that Dell has poor customer support and
> warranty,
> but I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 5100 in February, and I received
> great
> service. It was shipped to me quickly. When I called to order an ATI
> Radeon
> 9000 64 mb video card from them, it was almost TOO easy. A couple of
> minutes
> later, it was on it's way to me, and should arrive in 7 - 10 working days.
> So, while these may be your experiences, they certainly aren'y everyone's.

> laptop, an Inspiron 5100. It is an excellent desktop replacement, and also
> plays games rather well. However, the 51oo is no longer sold, and they now
> have the 5150, which is almost the same, except that it uses the Pentium
> "M"
> cpu, instead of a regular old desktop CPU.

<snip>

Any heat issues so far? Just curious, as a relative just bought an Insp5100
(used) online....

Stew

gringo

I think I'd opt for one of the non wide screen models as not much stuff uses
wide screen very well. Unless you watch a lot of movies, I think next time
I'd get 600m or simular next time.

I use IBM t40 at work and build quality and weight is far better than my
8600 Inspiron. HP laptops are built a lot better too. Though I'd still go
Dell for the price - performance vs price Dell wins. I don't use my laptop
much off of it's desk but if I did, the weight of it is unbearable.

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

> "Inspiron 5100" <not@home.today> wrote in message
> > It may be YOUR experience that Dell has poor customer support and
> > warranty,
> > but I just purchased a Dell Inspiron 5100 in February, and I received
> > great
> > service. It was shipped to me quickly. When I called to order an ATI
> > Radeon
> > 9000 64 mb video card from them, it was almost TOO easy. A couple of
> > minutes
> > later, it was on it's way to me, and should arrive in 7 - 10 working
days.
> > So, while these may be your experiences, they certainly aren'y
everyone's.

> > laptop, an Inspiron 5100. It is an excellent desktop replacement, and
also
> > plays games rather well. However, the 51oo is no longer sold, and they
now
> > have the 5150, which is almost the same, except that it uses the Pentium
> > "M"
> > cpu, instead of a regular old desktop CPU.
> >

> <snip>
>

> Any heat issues so far? Just curious, as a relative just bought an
Insp5100
> (used) online....
>
> Stew

Eugene

Carrie wrote:

> I have never owned a notebook.I am hunting for a desktop replacement.At
> least a 15`` screen...cd/rw...wireless...40 gig hd.prerabibly with a
> graphics card.
> Use is for work ...low key games....need something solidly
> built....thinking about 4 year warranty...do not understand battery
> numbers (96?...60?}or different screens WUGA...XFGA.Can someone one please
> enlighten me on those spechs and recommend a model.I was looking at the
> 9100 and the 1150...is there something in between that you could
> recommend.I do know desktops but notebooks are a complete new area for me.
> Any users of those notebooks please share your
> trhoughts...Thanks...Peace..Harry
If your using it for work I would go with the Latitude line. They are built
better than the inspirons, but I don't think any have a replaceable video
card. Very few laptops have a replaceable video card.