How about this configuration?

appsdba

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
One of these days I am going to build a computer. Currently I am planning to get this config.

P4 2.6 GHz 800 FSB
Abit IC7 Motherboard
Antec P160 Case
2 x Corsair CMX512-3500C2 512MB DDR433 PC3500
Western Digital 250 GB SATA Hard Drive
SAPHIRE - ATI9800SE - 128MB - DDR Video Card
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2
Liteon LTC48161H DVD-ROM 16X + CD-RW 48x24x48 Combo Drive
Windows XP Professional
Floppy Drive

Anything wrong with this? I am not overclocking. I am not playing games like some of you guys do. I will use it for telecommuting, surfing the web, occasional game, home video editing, etc.

Anything new coming down the road like new chipsets, etc? I am not worried about faster CPUs. I heard PCI-X is out soon. Would anything make me wish that I waitied for a couple of months?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
P4 2.6C=good

Abit IC7=Overpriced, but good (if you would like to save money, consider the IS7. The IC7 doesn't even have LAN)

Antec P160 case=unfamiliar to me

WD 250GB SATA drive=a bit slow, but a good drive. You might be able to save money by using the PATA drive instead

Saphire 9800SE=JUNK! All SE cards are complete trash. In the case of your 9800SE, the 9600 Pro is MUCH faster.

SB Audigy 2=...why would you spend so much on a soundcard when you're looking at a crap video card?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
Se = Stupid Excuse

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my father pIII 550......

appsdba

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
9600 Pro is it for me then.

What is coming down the pike (chipset, sockets, etc.) that might be tempting to wait for a couple of months?

Antec P160 is a new case to be released on Monday.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I agree with crashman that the WD is a bit slow. You might want to go the way of the Hitachi 7k250 in either PATA or SATA, both are VERY fast. Whichever you can find the better price on is recommended.

Anything ATi and SE is crap. 9600Pro is good, quite good in fact.

Damn Rambus.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are always new developements, but the most significant change will probably be the introduction of PCI-Express. It replaces all current slots, and is a serial PCI interface. A single x16 for graphics, and several x1 slots, will be on most boards. Server/workstation boards may come with x4 slots. x1 is nearly twice as fast as PCI, x4 would be nearly twice as fast as a 66MHz, 64-bit PCI-X slot I believe.

PCI-Express x1 slots are so tiny that they can fit between a standard PCI slot and the edge of the motherboard. This will allow many systems to support both card types from the same mounting position during the transition period.

The problem for YOU is, if you wait a couple months you MIGHT see the first boards appear. Then you'd want to wait a couple more for them to mature, so you'd get a better developed product. Then Intel releases the BTX form factor, which is supposed to replace ATX, so you'd consider a new case. Meanwhile, you'd wait several more months to make sure you got the best BTX design.

If you were to ask me this question 6 months from now, I could give you a more definative answer, but as for now, this waiting game would put you well towards the end of 2004 I think! So you might as well build NOW!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

appsdba

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
So PCI-Express would require a new mobo and probably new components?! I might as well build now. I am sick of the Pentium III 500 MHz screamer I use now. It is time for an upgrade.

Is it desireable to have the SATA controller (for the hard drive) built into the mobo or is it better to buy a controller card? I didn't do enough research into all mobos out there.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only reason to get SATA at this time is because the WD Raptor drives aren't available with an IDE interface. SATA doesn't offer a performance advantage with current drives.

Having said that, on a P4 board it's better to have the Intel ICH5R SATA RAID controller than a third party part.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A lot of people like the Abit IS7, it offers more features for a lower price than the IC7.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
A huge advantage of SATA (IMO) is the thinner, more flexible cables. They don't block airflow through the case much, and are just so much easier to use.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
It offers a slight performance increase actually (not enough to be noteworthy really) but the real feature is being able to hook it to the brand new board you get 2 years from now and copying all your files off without having to go out and buy a bridge of some sort.

Shadus

appsdba

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
How does this look now?

P4 2.6 GHz 800 FSB $182
ABIT IS7 $103
Antec P160 Case $120
Antec True Power 480W Powersupply $85
2 x Corsair CMX512-3500C2 512MB DDR433 PC3500 Memory w/Heat Spreader $274
MAXTOR 250GB 7Y250M0 SERIAL ATA 7200RPM 8MB $239
ATI ALL-IN-WONDER 9600 PRO $206
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Card $69
Plextor PX-708A DVR Writer $209
Windows XP Professional $149
Floppy Drive $20
56K PCI Data/Fax Modem $60

Anything amiss here? I would love to save a little more money if possible. Video Card? Anything better value which is as good?

Do newegg or mwave offer any discounts when purchasing so many components? Are there any other reputable retailers? I will buying all Retail not OEM stuff. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, all good prices. Here's what I'd change:

Fortron 530W puts out more power than the Antec True Power 550W, while costing less than the True Power 480W.

Do you really need the TV features of the AIW card? It's a great card, but if you don't need the TV features you could save money getting a pro instead.

What OS do you have? Could you save money there?

$20 sounds kind of steep for a floppy, my local dealer sells new ones for $8.

$60 sounds kind of steep for a modem too.

appsdba

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
You are correct. I don't need the TV features. How about the memory? Do I need PC3500 when I am not overclocking? Can I go with a PC3200?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can go with PC3200, but you might find PC3500 more stable.