Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Why is Dell selling Dual Channel DDR3 Ram vs. Tripple Channel DDR3 Ram

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 10, 2010 7:53:15 PM

Guys,
I did some research back in 08' when DDR3 and the P45 desktop mobo's were released/affordable. Now, my plans have changed and I want to get a sweet laptop.

My question is, "Why are all laptop manufacturers selling DDR3 ram in dual channel mode???" I thought DDR3 Ram was specifically designed for tripple channel mode. How much slower will the DDR3 ram be in dual channel mode??? Is it even worth getting the DDR3 ram instead of DDR2 ram if the laptops only support dual channel mode?

Is anyone aware of a laptop that supports DDR3 tripple channel mode?

Thanks for your help!

JT
a c 571 D Laptop
April 10, 2010 8:22:29 PM

jason_taylor111877 said:
I thought DDR3 Ram was specifically designed for tripple channel mode.

No. DDR3 does not mean triple channel memory architecture. Think of it as the 'third generation of DDR'.
Core i5 750 (Socket 1156) on the desktop and Core i3 330M (PGA988) on laptops, for example, use dual channel DDR3.
Core i7 930 (Socket 1366) on the desktop uses triple channel DDR3.
m
0
l
a c 571 D Laptop
April 10, 2010 8:42:11 PM

jason_taylor111877 said:
Is anyone aware of a laptop that supports DDR3 tripple channel mode?
Even the top of the line Core i7-920XM, Core i7-820QM and Core i7-720QM are installed in dual channel DDR3 PM55 motherboards.

You could get a EUROCOM D900F Panther . Options include i7-980X Extreme Edition six-core Gulftown CPU and triple channel DDR3 6GB RAM.
Or a CyberpowerPC Xplorer X7-Xtreme S1 i7-930 2.80 GHz (LGA1366) & 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3 Triple-Channel Memory with GeForce GTX 285M GPU
m
0
l
Related resources
April 10, 2010 11:21:16 PM

WR2,
Thank you for the quick lesson!!! I don't think I'll be going after the Eurocom, I don't have $3500 laying around for a nice desklap/top, and I'm not interesting in having this thing tatoo my legs!!!

My price range is around $1000... I would love to get the core i5 540 with 4 gigs of ddr3 in dual channel mode with a dedicated graphics card, but i think i will have to aim a little lower!!!

Does anyone have any good suggestions for an affordable laptop that can handle Autodesk Inventor 2010???
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 571 D Laptop
April 10, 2010 11:46:51 PM

Dual channel vs triple channel is the LEAST important aspect of your CPU/GPU/RAM laptop performance factors.
In fact getting a 7200rpm HDD vs a 5400rpm HDD might yield a better overall performance increase than just going from dual to triple channel RAM.

Actually, with that $1000 budget I think you can aim a little higher than the Core i5 540.
HP Pavilion dv6-2190us Core i7 720QM 15.6" 4GB 500GB HDD GeForce GT 230M $850 after rebate
TOSHIBA Satellite A505-S6035 Core i7 720QM 16" 4GB 500GB HDD GeForce GT 330M $1000
Share
April 11, 2010 10:53:21 PM

WR2 said:
Dual channel vs triple channel is the LEAST important aspect of your CPU/GPU/RAM laptop performance factors.
In fact getting a 7200rpm HDD vs a 5400rpm HDD might yield a better overall performance increase than just going from dual to triple channel RAM.

Actually, with that $1000 budget I think you can aim a little higher than the Core i5 540.
HP Pavilion dv6-2190us Core i7 720QM 15.6" 4GB 500GB HDD GeForce GT 230M $850 after rebate
TOSHIBA Satellite A505-S6035 Core i7 720QM 16" 4GB 500GB HDD GeForce GT 330M $1000


TY WR2!!!

Nice choices.... Following along those guidelines and getting something similar! Just don't like the Toshiba or HP brand names... Going with ASUS or SONY.

Thanks again!!!
m
0
l
April 12, 2010 11:12:24 PM

tiotaitch said:
Check this one out; http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/850014/MSI-A6200-... !! I use one for Edgecam, Solidworks and full Autodesk/AutoCAD - outputs directly thru HDMI !


Tiotaitch,
That is a bad ass cpu for only $600!!! WOW... I'm breathless... 1066Mhz FSB, 4Gig 1066Ram, 2.26Ghz upscaled to 2.53Ghz via Turbo, 15.6" monitor, and only weighs 5.5 lbs!!! Did I say WOW yet??? the only thing missing is better screen resolution, but who can complain for $600!!! Hell of a buy!

You said you're running AutoCAD? Which one? Inventor 20xx??? or basic AutoCAD? How is your memory holding up with no dedicated video card??? Can you run assemblies with over 8,000 parts??? Just curious. I'm an Inventor guy and I need something that can take some hardcore FEA...

Thx for the nice find!
m
0
l
April 12, 2010 11:31:39 PM

donovands said:
ASUS K70 Series

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SONY VAIO

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Of the two, the ASUS is the better machine.



Getting closer!!! Now that I've looked at more and more laptops, I'm thinking a few hundred bucks more won't hurt... I was looking at the core i7 720 QM.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127055

I actually went by Best Buy and saw/played with this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+-+Black/9705382.p?id=1218154378383&skuId=9705382 ... Talked them down $100 (within 5 minutes!!! These guys must be hurting!!!) off the selling price, $1349 down to $1249, but with tax, it went back up $88... Plus, the hard-drive is only 5400 RPM vs 7200 RPM which WR2 said would slow me down more than the 2 extra gigs of ram... So, i passed it up...

Guys,
If anyone knows of a better cpu than these for around $1200-$1300, I would be game!!! I would love a core i5 540m since AutoCAD only recognizes 1 core and the core i5 is 2.53 up to 3.06 Ghz on turbo, but the only place i see people using them are namebrands like -Dell-Alienware and the other gaming laptops that are priced out of my range...

Thank you all for your help!!!

JT
m
0
l
a c 571 D Laptop
April 13, 2010 1:18:48 AM

You can customize a HP G62t serieswith Core i7-620M dual core 2.66GHz (Turbo 3.33GHz), 4GB, 500GB 7200rpm HDD and Mobility Radeon HD 5430 graphics for under $1200. With a Core i5-540 you can save an extra $150. I don't think the performance Delta between the i5-540 vs i7-620 will be that noticeable.
m
0
l
April 14, 2010 1:22:13 AM

donovands said:
Here's your laptop:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-260M.14...

Asus? Check. Core i7-720QM? Check. 7,200 rpm HDD? Check. Solid class 2 dedicated graphics card? Check. Price tag around 1k? Check. Plus 4 bg ram, USB 3.0 support, windows 7 etc. All for $1,049.99.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmar...

See processor benchmarks here.



Where is the Asus??? I can't find the cpu you are talking about! There are a ton of cpu's listed at the bottom of the page... A little help please!

Thx,

JT
m
0
l
April 14, 2010 1:24:57 AM

WR2 said:
You can customize a HP G62t serieswith Core i7-620M dual core 2.66GHz (Turbo 3.33GHz), 4GB, 500GB 7200rpm HDD and Mobility Radeon HD 5430 graphics for under $1200. With a Core i5-540 you can save an extra $150. I don't think the performance Delta between the i5-540 vs i7-620 will be that noticeable.


Seems a little overpriced for a dual core cpu... Plus, no option for a 1Gig video card... definite negative... Thx though!

JT
m
0
l
a c 571 D Laptop
April 14, 2010 1:47:37 AM

jason_taylor111877 said:
Guys,
If anyone knows of a better cpu than these for around $1200-$1300, I would be game!!! I would love a core i5 540m since AutoCAD only recognizes 1 core and the core i5 is 2.53 up to 3.06 Ghz on turbo, but the only place i see people using them are namebrands like -Dell-Alienware and the other gaming laptops that are priced out of my range...
Can you state your requirements more clearly?
Also explain why a 512MB GPU isn't adequate for your requirements?
m
0
l
April 14, 2010 2:08:22 PM

jason_taylor111877 said:
Where is the Asus??? I can't find the cpu you are talking about! There are a ton of cpu's listed at the bottom of the page... A little help please!

Thx,

JT


My apologies! I put the wrong link. here's the ASUS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Although it seems Newegg is sold out. I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.
m
0
l
April 15, 2010 2:39:03 AM

WR2 said:
Can you state your requirements more clearly?
Also explain why a 512MB GPU isn't adequate for your requirements?


Sorry for being so vague WR2. I need the extra horsepower for running AutoCAD Inventor Simulation. It's a FEA, finite element analysis, program that will use multiple cores and all the ram you can throw at it! I need the 1Gb GPU for AutoCAD Inventor itself; I design assemblies that can get to be 8000 parts if I include all of the hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, ect). I can't afford a nice workstation laptop, so I'm getting the most powerful machine I can afford! The thing is, Inventor only recognizes 1 core unless you're rendering or using the FEA program which is why I'm leaning towards the Core i7 720QM. With it, it will shut down the unused cores and boost my cpu's frequency up to 2.8Ghz. Then, when I'm making a movie of the design showing its functionality, the cpu frequency will drop to 1.6Ghz but Inventor will use all 4 cores... At least, that's my plan and I hope it works like I am imagining it!!!

Thx!

JT

m
0
l
April 15, 2010 2:40:17 AM
April 15, 2010 2:43:00 AM

donovands said:
My apologies! I put the wrong link. here's the ASUS:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Although it seems Newegg is sold out. I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.


Nice cpu! I actually went with something very similar... Just ordered it... We'll see if it's as good as I hope it is since I've never had a SONY cpu... Kinda letting it hang out and hoping for the best!

JT

CPU I bought: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834127055

Thanks for all the help guys!!!
m
0
l
!