Problems with HP DVD Re-writer Please help

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi,
A few weeks ago I was able to alter the write speed to my H.P.
DVD Re-Writer by using the properties and settings button on Windows
Media Player. I could set it to Fastest possible down to X2. Yesterday
when trying to burn and Audio CD this button was grayed out. I have
also adjusted it using properties on the drive itself in My Computer
and can no longer do this.
Any Ideas on what could be causing this problem. I also use Sonic
Record Now Software that came with my machine and this has never had
an option to alter the write speed.
I can find nothing on the MS Knowledge base about this.

I was told this might be a Hardware Problem so I bought an external
Iomega CD/RW 52 32 52. This also will not allow me to alter the write
speed with its own software on or WMP. I tried the drive on my W98se
machine and I can alter the write speed on this drive when connected
to this machine.
About ASPI
Does ASPI come as standard with XP or is it added with other burning
software. XP has IMAPI for burning ??????. I have an ASPI Layer on my
machine which seems to be 3 Files Adaptec 4.7 and 1 file 4.6. The
check up program says it is installed and working correctly. I also
seem to have Microstaff ASPI installed which came with FinePix Digital
Camera software. I have tried uninstall on these and system restores
to a time when I was able to alter my write speed but still no luck.
I burn Audio CD's and find anything faster than X4 can result in
errors so this is why I need to adjust the write speed

Another problem

Whenever I try to produce a music Cd on the Iomega Drive Using
Hotburn Pro Software which came with it on the simulate section it
gets to the end and produces a Lead-in Size Error and ejects the disc
before it can burn.
Iomega support don't seem to know the answer to this one and emailed
me the support line number which in the USA. I am in the U.K. Some
use. I don't even know what EST means which is when I am supposed to
phone them

Any Ideas or suggestions gratefully received and appreciated

Thanks and Regards
James

craigm

Distinguished
May 12, 2004

"James" <J.C.Boyek@Gothicbtinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> A few weeks ago I was able to alter the write speed to my H.P.
> DVD Re-Writer by using the properties and settings button on Windows
> Media Player. I could set it to Fastest possible down to X2. Yesterday
> when trying to burn and Audio CD this button was grayed out. I have
> also adjusted it using properties on the drive itself in My Computer
> and can no longer do this.
> Any Ideas on what could be causing this problem. I also use Sonic
> Record Now Software that came with my machine and this has never had
> an option to alter the write speed.
> I can find nothing on the MS Knowledge base about this.
>
> I was told this might be a Hardware Problem so I bought an external
> Iomega CD/RW 52 32 52. This also will not allow me to alter the write
> speed with its own software on or WMP. I tried the drive on my W98se
> machine and I can alter the write speed on this drive when connected
> to this machine.
> About ASPI
> Does ASPI come as standard with XP or is it added with other burning
> software. XP has IMAPI for burning ??????. I have an ASPI Layer on my
> machine which seems to be 3 Files Adaptec 4.7 and 1 file 4.6. The
> check up program says it is installed and working correctly. I also
> seem to have Microstaff ASPI installed which came with FinePix Digital
> Camera software. I have tried uninstall on these and system restores
> to a time when I was able to alter my write speed but still no luck.
> I burn Audio CD's and find anything faster than X4 can result in
> errors so this is why I need to adjust the write speed
>
> Another problem
>
> Whenever I try to produce a music Cd on the Iomega Drive Using
> Hotburn Pro Software which came with it on the simulate section it
> gets to the end and produces a Lead-in Size Error and ejects the disc
> before it can burn.
> Iomega support don't seem to know the answer to this one and emailed
> me the support line number which in the USA. I am in the U.K. Some
> use. I don't even know what EST means which is when I am supposed to
> phone them
>
> Any Ideas or suggestions gratefully received and appreciated
>
> Thanks and Regards
> James

James,

First, the easy one.

EST is Eastern Standard Time, or the time on the east coast of the US.

Have you changed the brand or type of the blank CDs you are using? This may
be part of the problem.

Have you tried Nero Burning software to burn your discs? It can be
downloaded free from www.ahead.de for a trial version. It allows you to set
the burn speed within the application.

Have you installed packet writing/DLA software for rewritable disks
recently?

More questions than answers unfortunately, but it may help someone else give
the final answer.

Let us know what you find out.

craigm

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 09:29:58 -0500, "craigm" <none@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> [...]
>> use. I don't even know what EST means which is when I am supposed to
>> phone them
>>
>> Any Ideas or suggestions gratefully received and appreciated
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>> James
>
>James,
>
>First, the easy one.
>
>EST is Eastern Standard Time, or the time on the east coast of the US.
>
>Have you changed the brand or type of the blank CDs you are using? This may
>be part of the problem.
>
>Have you tried Nero Burning software to burn your discs? It can be
>downloaded free from www.ahead.de for a trial version. It allows you to set
>the burn speed within the application.
>
>Have you installed packet writing/DLA software for rewritable disks
>recently?
>
>More questions than answers unfortunately, but it may help someone else give

Thanks for the reply.
I have tried different brands of CD and it makes no difference.
I will give Nero a try thanks for the link
I haven't installed any other software of the kind you mentioned.
The worst aspect is I can find nothing related to any of the above
problems on Google group or web search apart from one on the lead in
error which seems to be in Japanese and a couple relating to the same
problem with Linux OS. Not XP. Normally you can find quite a number of
people who have the same problems by doing a search.
This is the first time I have had a problem with this machine that I
cannot fix or find a reason for. Looks like I am going to have to do
an HP Destructive System Recovery.
Thanks again for the reply much appreciated

Thanks and Regards
James