NO ICONS OR TASKBAR?

On XP Pro all the accounts have no icons or taskbar. Only the desktop picture
is there. I restarted the computer "Last known good configuration" and it
starts up fine. But when restarted it goes back to no icons/taskbar. This is
a first for me on this one. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
Regards Rick
8 answers Last reply
More about icons taskbar

    Did your PC work properly before and when? Have you tried a system
    restore? Go here: Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System
    Restore. You can go back up to 90 days.
    --
    XP-WNP
    Today is the first day of the

    "analog414" wrote:

    > On XP Pro all the accounts have no icons or taskbar. Only the desktop picture
    > is there. I restarted the computer "Last known good configuration" and it
    > starts up fine. But when restarted it goes back to no icons/taskbar. This is
    > a first for me on this one. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Regards Rick

    It did work 36 hours ago. 5 days ago I cleaned a virus out completly and
    forgot to start up system restore again. I did just restart it but no
    accounts will show icons/taskbar. Regards Rick

    analog414 wrote:

    > On XP Pro all the accounts have no icons or taskbar. Only the desktop picture
    > is there. I restarted the computer "Last known good configuration" and it
    > starts up fine. But when restarted it goes back to no icons/taskbar. This is
    > a first for me on this one. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Regards Rick

    Try running the edit on Kelly's site at

    Line 195: Restore Desktop Icons and Taskbar

    See the top of the page for info on running the edit.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thank you Rock, what a great website. It is bookmarked and again thatnk you
    for your time. This place is the best ! Rick

    analog414 wrote:

    > Thank you Rock, what a great website. It is bookmarked and again thatnk you
    > for your time. This place is the best ! Rick

    You're welcome. It's Kelly's website - and she's the best.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    It is happening again. It appears it is random when the icons/taskbar
    will appear. This means I have to restart the computer when this happens. Is
    it possible to reinstall XP Pro and keep All files and setting undisturbed?
    Regards Rick

    "Rock" wrote:

    > analog414 wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you Rock, what a great website. It is bookmarked and again thatnk you
    > > for your time. This place is the best ! Rick
    > >

    > You're welcome. It's Kelly's website - and she's the best.
    >

    > --
    > Rock
    > MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    It sounds like the icon cache is still present but corrupted so you may be
    able to use .
    Kelly's Taskbar Repair Tool Plus may fix it as suggested or you may be able
    to use Tweakui to repair it (download form Microsoft Power Tools if you do
    not have it). If that does not work you need to do a repair install with
    your XP CD

    --
    Uncle John

    analog414 wrote:

    > It is happening again. It appears it is random when the icons/taskbar
    > will appear. This means I have to restart the computer when this happens. Is
    > it possible to reinstall XP Pro and keep All files and setting undisturbed?
    > Regards Rick

    Yes, a repair install. You will have to reinstall all updates from the
    WU site for the SP level of the repair installation.

    First try running this edit on Kelly's site:
    Line 30: Windows XP Doesn't Save User Settings

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Taskbar Icons Windows XP