Partition in win xp ??

Hi,
I using Win XP and want to do a partition for the hard disk (40GB). do I
have to create a boot desk and work in MS-DOS or I can do it in windows
mode. please guide me in both ways if possible.
Regards,
SRM
3 answers Last reply
More about partition

    Windows XP does not have any built-in functions for partitioning an existing hard disk. You need to partition the hard disk at installation or use a utility such as BootIt Next Generation or Partition Magic to re-partition the drive after installation.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "SRM" <sharif78@omantel.net.om> wrote in message news:%239gT3eLsFHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Hi,
    > I using Win XP and want to do a partition for the hard disk (40GB). do I
    > have to create a boot desk and work in MS-DOS or I can do it in windows
    > mode. please guide me in both ways if possible.
    > Regards,
    > SRM

    "SRM" <sharif78@omantel.net.om> wrote in:

    > I using Win XP and want to do a partition for the hard disk (40GB). do I
    > have to create a boot desk and work in MS-DOS or I can do it in windows
    > mode. please guide me in both ways if possible.

    During the install, Windows XP will give you the opportunity to remove any
    partitions that might be on your HD and create any new ones you want.

    Personally, I think I'd want a 10GB or larger partition for Windows.

    Remember, once you've set your partitions and installed Windows you'll need
    third party software such as Partition Commander or Partition Magic to change
    partition sizes w/o installing all over again from scratch so plan ahead!

    --
    David R. Norton MVP
    <d_r_norton@yahoo.com>

    If you mean the additional HDD, that you want to install in your working
    system -- you can partition this drive in Windows (and delete the existent
    logical drives and partitions on it as well -- if need):

    Control Panel -- Administrative Tools -- Computer Management -- Storage->Disk
    Management.

    In the right lower frame select this drive, right click the part of it, that
    you want to change, and select the action you want: create or delete either
    partition (primary or extended), or logical drive on it.

    Don't forget that you can't create FAT32 logical drive greater than 32GB in
    WinXP (but it will work with the large FAT32 disks with no problems -- if they
    were created by, say, Win98 fdisk/format)

    --
    Mikhail Zhilin
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 22:45:39 +0400, "SRM" <sharif78@omantel.net.om> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I using Win XP and want to do a partition for the hard disk (40GB). do I
    >have to create a boot desk and work in MS-DOS or I can do it in windows
    >mode. please guide me in both ways if possible.
    >Regards,
    >SRM

Partition Windows XP