application to run programs from sd card

November 21, 2004 11:39:54 PM

I posted this sometime back and didn't see an answer.....I am wanting to change
to a treo 650 from my T3. Only problem is that I already have 40 megs of
programs in ram. The 650 has slightly under 30 megs usable. Are there any
applications available that will allow me to run apps from the card? If so how
do they act in terms of speed and efficiency, stability, etc.
TIA
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:18:29 AM

KyAsthmaEducator wrote:
> I posted this sometime back and didn't see an answer.....I am wanting to change
> to a treo 650 from my T3. Only problem is that I already have 40 megs of
> programs in ram. The 650 has slightly under 30 megs usable. Are there any
> applications available that will allow me to run apps from the card? If so how
> do they act in terms of speed and efficiency, stability, etc.
> TIA

Every device that runs PALM OS is capable to run applications from SD
card. But...

1) If you expect from an application to operate an alarm, then it must
be in RAM.

2) If you expect from an application to be called during hotsynch, then
it must be in RAM.

3) If the application consists of many files, then only the one *.PRC
file you tap to run it can be in SD Card.

I managed to overcome the last two restrictions with ZLanucher.
ZLauncher has 2 ways of copying files to SD Card. The first is the same
with that of PalmOS. It simply copies the file to /palm/launcer dir of
SD Card.

The other one is copying the PRC file and all related libraries and data
files to a folder named /palm/programs/zlauncher/apps/xxx where xxx is
the name of the program. At the same time creates a shortcut in RAM.
When you tap the shortcut all the files of the above dir copied to RAM.
After leaving the program, the files that have changed in RAM go back to
SD Card. You are completly free to move files from and to the folder
/palm/programs/zlauncher/apps/xxx. Zlauncher will copy all the files of
that directory to RAM if you tap the shortcut. In this way you can have
a hotsych as well but not alarms.

--
/"\
\ / ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL

Manolis Christodoulou MD.
http://users.forthnet.gr/pel/mchris/

mailto:mchris@pel.forthnet.gr (Default)
mailto:D rael21@icqmail.com ICQ# 41895329
November 22, 2004 2:29:36 AM

"Manolis Christodoulou" <mchris@pel.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> KyAsthmaEducator wrote:
>> I posted this sometime back and didn't see an answer.....I am wanting to
>> change
>> to a treo 650 from my T3. Only problem is that I already have 40 megs of
>> programs in ram. The 650 has slightly under 30 megs usable. Are there
>> any
>> applications available that will allow me to run apps from the card? If
>> so how
>> do they act in terms of speed and efficiency, stability, etc.
>> TIA

Try PowerRun (I use this and it works very well on my TungstenT).
http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.shows...

I think it works by copying the whole program (prc's and pdb files) from the
card to RAM when you run the prog and then copyong them back afterwards to
card. It just leaves a very small file in RAM. It is a bit slower than RAM
but even a very large prog only takes 2-3 secs to launch.

Cheers, JL
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:22:10 AM

kyasthmaeducator@aol.com (KyAsthmaEducator) wrote in

> I posted this sometime back and didn't see an answer.....I am wanting to
> change to a treo 650 from my T3. Only problem is that I already have 40
> megs of programs in ram. The 650 has slightly under 30 megs usable.
> Are there any applications available that will allow me to run apps from
> the card? If so how do they act in terms of speed and efficiency,
> stability, etc. TIA

I use LauncherX to do this. It allows running the apps from the card, as
well as loading the associated data files. If you use a shortcut, it puts a
small stub in RAM so the app will hotsync if that is needed. LauncherX is
getting a little old, so I tried ZLauncher, but after a few weeks of using it
I went back to LauncherX. There are many launchers available, so try a few
and see which you prefer. Not all work as well as LauncherX at running
things from the card, though.

--
Regards,

Stan