New CPU ideas and suggestions

Matier

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
I'm not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this but...

I want to build a second computer that I will network through my cable modem. I would like to solicit recommendations if possible please. Here are my requirements:

Budget: $1000

Need:
Router, misc cables, monitor (19 or 21 inch) and the recommended computer parts.

It will be used for gaming(online/offline), chatting, word processing, and some graphics/sound editing.

Also, if I need to increase my budget, I can but with little variance. in addition to that, will I need a 2nd copy of Windows XP pro or can I install the original I have now on the second computer?

Thank you for any and all suggestion!

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
That for a intranet network or just to share internet connection.That for a home use or official corporation office.

If that a intranet with many useur any old computer will do with a hub and simple 10/100 network card.If that for sharing internet some internet provider allow you do use multiple connection to the internet depending of you country or state.

For home use i never pay windows, i my school that we have to deal with official stuff we do have pay a 5000$ license for novell 3.12 in the time for a 30 useur 32 CPU support and stuff and single server use.To deplicate server we deal with a Nt server window 2000 and novell 3.12 and novell 5 that make a total of 4 server.In any case with XP dont support client/server ``mode``` as far as i know just post to post.

I bet is for internet sharing so just found a ISP that give you the right to do multiple IP and buy a new computer.For the computer i let the AMD fiend deal with that.

I dont like french test

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It all depending on your ISP

Ex in Quebec

Dell DSL allow you to connect multiple PC not Videtron wich allow only 1 Ip official.

I dont like french test

Matier

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2003
I'm not a big fan of dsl. But my cable modem does exceptionally well...hence the reason for sharing it via a router rather than setting up an addional account.

You wouldn't have to set up another account, but you would have to pay a little extra for another IP if your ISP doesn't already give you more than one. The router is a very good idea... as you will have a firewall and not have to worry about paying for extra IPs.

Depending on what area you live in, DSL service can be good. From what I understand, our community seems to have excellent DSL service in terms of uptime. Download speeds aren't the greatest... but they are a hell of a lot faster than dialup. If I didn't have to shell out so much cash per month for cable, I'd probably go with it.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>