Bad XP2600+? Help!!

hollywood

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2003
I upgraded my XP1800+ the other day to a Thoroughbred model 8 XP2600+ (266FSB) and now any video game I try to play will not run. Also certain programs like Adobe Acrobat, Mozilla browser and ASUS probe utility will not run.
My system: ASUS A7V266-E with latest BIOS (processor is properly recognized, temps good in BIOS, FSB speed good), Win XP Pro with DirectX9b, 512MB Crucial PC2100, MSI Ti4200 with latest Nvidia drivers (I reinstalled them also), latest VIA 4:1 MB drivers, 2 40GB ATA100 no raid HD.

Any ideas? I'm pretty sure the processor is faulty but I'm afraid the vendor will say "no fault found" so I'm trying to check everything I can. I also installed it in my friends rig and Americas Army and one other program will not even try to run! BTW, on my rig, I usually get the WinXP "This program needs to close dialogue box" when I try to run them.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a power problem, the XP2600+ probably draws more power than the 1800+.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

hollywood

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2003
No I did not reload Direct-X 9b afterwords.
If it's a power supply problem, I figured my friends rig would have confirmed this since his has a 350 or 400 watt power supply. I have a 300 watt PS.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What are the specs of your friend's rig? It could still be the power supply if his setup doesn't draw as much power as yours. a 300W generic PSU is pretty borderline for your system. These days a good brand-name (i.e. Enermax/Antec/Fortron) 350W is a realistic minimum.

Failing that though, it sounds like you might have some bad RAM. download memtest86 and leave it running for a couple of hours & see if it finds any errors.

If your rig loads windows ok, then it's unlikely the processor has any physical damage.

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

hollywood

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2003
Excellent ideas Chip Death. I'm thinking my PS at 300 watts should be upgraded regardless of what the outcome is of this problem. I'll go get memtest86 ASAP also.
Uh Oh!, I just had n ASUS monitor alarm a bit ago, the PS fan RPM went to zero and then came back on speed......
I'm not certain of my friends rigs specs....he said it has a PS bigger than mine.
I agree that if my rig boots to Windows and some programs will run, that the CPU should not be the problem.