NEED DELL WINDOWS 2000 RECOVERY CD

this may seem like a stupid question, but it isn't:

WHY do you need a dell / W2K recovery cd?
If you have one that doesn't *seem* to work, try this: run the install
using ALL defaults. Don't change a THING unless you absolutely MUST, and
even then, think TWICE: can you install it as default and change it later?

Doing this will make a Dell W2K restore cd that doesn't SEEM to work,
actually work.

R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
*Help for Humans in Need*
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)

--Am I a tagline?? I don't remember........

"nub" <nub@nub.com> wrote in message
> HELPZOR SOMEONE POST WAREZ

i suppose the op's motivation for wanting a dell cd is two fold... one, the
serial number the op has is the dell oem one and oem serial number only work
with the oem packaged version of the os (not the retail version), and two,
most oem win2k cds are tied to the system bios... but the work around would
be this... get any oem win2k cd, then using the makeboot utility found on
the cd create a set of boot floppies, and the replace the setupldr.bin file
found on the first floppy with the one found on a dell oem win2k cd (easily
sent via email). boot with the new and modified floppies and the other
vendors cd will work and the serial number will work too.

"Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
> this may seem like a stupid question, but it isn't:
>
> WHY do you need a dell / W2K recovery cd?
> If you have one that doesn't *seem* to work, try this: run the install
> using ALL defaults. Don't change a THING unless you absolutely MUST, and
> even then, think TWICE: can you install it as default and change it
later?

> Doing this will make a Dell W2K restore cd that doesn't SEEM to work,
> actually work.
>
> R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
> *Help for Humans in Need*
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
> http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
>
> --Am I a tagline?? I don't remember........
>
> "nub" <nub@nub.com> wrote in message
> > HELPZOR SOMEONE POST WAREZ

I am aware that Dell restore CDs only work on Dell BIOS'd motherboards.
So if he wants a Dell restore cd, then chances are he has a Dell
motherboard.
Now, I'm just guessing at that part, but that's logical.
If he's lost his COA to his Dell PC, he can call <gasp!> tech support, and
they can give him a Dell OEM COA.
In fact, if he finds my true e-mail address from my website and e-mails me,
I'll send him the Dell OEM COA.
You're right, by the way, about the boot floppy issue. When Dell
distributed W2K to the techs to take home and test, they had to generate the
4 floppies because most of the techs didn't have Dells at home! The floppy
method you described was their "workaround" solution.

>i suppose the op's motivation for wanting a dell cd is two fold... one,
>the
> serial number the op has is the dell oem one and oem serial number only
> work
> with the oem packaged version of the os (not the retail version), and two,
> most oem win2k cds are tied to the system bios... but the work around
> would
> be this... get any oem win2k cd, then using the makeboot utility found on
> the cd create a set of boot floppies, and the replace the setupldr.bin
> file
> found on the first floppy with the one found on a dell oem win2k cd
> (easily
> sent via email). boot with the new and modified floppies and the other
> vendors cd will work and the serial number will work too.
>

> "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
>> this may seem like a stupid question, but it isn't:
>>
>> WHY do you need a dell / W2K recovery cd?
>> If you have one that doesn't *seem* to work, try this: run the install
>> using ALL defaults. Don't change a THING unless you absolutely MUST, and
>> even then, think TWICE: can you install it as default and change it
> later?
>>
>> Doing this will make a Dell W2K restore cd that doesn't SEEM to work,
>> actually work.
>>
>> R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
>> *Help for Humans in Need*
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
>> http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
>>
>> --Am I a tagline?? I don't remember........

sparky

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2003

Dick Silk wrote:

> I am aware that Dell restore CDs only work on Dell BIOS'd motherboards.

That's not exactly true - I installed XP on my ThinkPad using the XP CD
that came with my 4550. It installed perfectly, the exception being that
it stopped and asked for a COA, which I had because my TP came with XP.
The Dell BIOS seems to mean you don't have to worry about product
activation.

Yes, but this was a W2K thread, not an XP thread.
It is assumed we were speaking of W2K Dell restore CDs.

"Sparky" <nemo@moon.sun.edu> wrote in message
> Dick Silk wrote:
>
>> I am aware that Dell restore CDs only work on Dell BIOS'd motherboards.
>
> That's not exactly true - I installed XP on my ThinkPad using the XP CD
> that came with my 4550. It installed perfectly, the exception being that
> it stopped and asked for a COA, which I had because my TP came with XP.
> The Dell BIOS seems to mean you don't have to worry about product
> activation.

did you mean 'cd' instead of 'coa'? i have not heard of dell ever giving a
replacement coa. getting a replacement cd outside of the total satisfaction
return period has never been successful for me, though others have suggested
here that is possible (if you get a cooperative tech that is willing to do
the paperwork and if they have the cd available). also, the boot floppies
work the same as the cd (locked to dell bios) unless you replace the
aforementioned file...

Dick Silk wrote:

> Yes, but this was a W2K thread, not an XP thread.
> It is assumed we were speaking of W2K Dell restore CDs.

Right, never mind.

I meant exactly what I wrote.
Dell has a DKB article that's kept tightly under wraps that lists DELL OEM
COAs for certain applications.
Or -- at least -- they did. It takes a sharp tech to find it.