DVD - R verses DVD + R Technologies?

Greetings,

I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works best
for movies, photos, and data storage.

For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the DVD +
R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it be
best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.

Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
this.

Leer

To determine which format is "best" check the requirements of the devices
which will ultimately play the dvds. In my case only -R & -RW will work in
my DVD player.

A second consideration is to determine what manufacturer's blank dvd disks
will work on the specific writer you have. In my case (NEC -on Gateway
710xl) the writer won't even recognize that -R/RW Memorex disks are
inserted. It does work fine with Verbatim. Check the writer manufacturer's
site for clues. In the case of +R/RW disks I didn't have any problems with
Imation disks - luck or engineering who knows?

Good luck
"Leer" <lgh@cts.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
> the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works
> best for movies, photos, and data storage.
>
> For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the DVD
> + R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would
> it be best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.
>
> Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
> this.
>

> Leer

It depends on your hardware. The - format is older and better supported by
consumer players.

If you have a DVD writer, consult its manual - if you don't, a
universal-format writer will let you use any of the + or - (and sometimes
the older DVD-RAM) meda.

"Leer" <lgh@cts.com> wrote in message
> Greetings,
>
> I would like to know what types of media works best with the DVD - R and
> the DVD - R technologies. I would like to know which technologies works
best
> for movies, photos, and data storage.
>
> For example, if I want to store photos should I use the DVD - R or the DVD
+
> R disks? Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it
be
> best to use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.
>
> Thank you in advance for your comments, insight, and help to understand
> this.
>

> Leer

Tom,

Thanks for your comments.

My drive, LITE-ON LDW-851SBK, is a combination drive that supports:
DVD+R / DVD+RW / DVD-R / DVD-RW /DVD-ROM /CD-R / CD-RW / CD-ROM.

So in the DVD mode I was just curious:
If I want to store photos would it be best if I use the DVD - R or the DVD +
R disks?
Likewise, if I want to make a copy of my digital movies would it be best to
use a DVD - R disk or a DVD + R disk.

For data storage I use the CD-RW Sony or TDX storage disks.

Thanks again, Tom.

I am curious and just want to know.

Leer