Windows Installer Dilemma

Hi everybody. I have a small problem with Windows Installer.

First of all, it is installed properly and has been working fine the whole
time on my current computer. Recently, however, it has been popping up
whenver I try to run any program. It says that it is scanning for a certain
application component but never finds it, and then it says that the component
must be on a certain disk, which I am prompted to put in the CD drive. Then,
whenever I try to cancel out of Windows Installer, it pops up again. I
usually have to cancel out of it a couple times for it to temporarily stop,
otherwise it freezes the computer and I have to close all the running
applications with the task manager.

I searched this problem on the Internet and found some solutions, one of
which I am trying to carry out. I downloaded the Windows Installer Clean Up
Utility, and installed it. The thing is, I don't really know what to do with
it. When I open it, it gives me a list of programs to remove, but none of
them are programs mentioned by the Windows Installer when it pops up. By the
way, the programs Windows Installer does mention are "Fax" and
"Quickprojects."

I am becoming increasingly worried however, because I have discovered
missing files and am wondering if Windows Installer is corrupted and causing
this. Also, I have a Dell 4700 Desktop computer with Windows XP Home Edition
SP2. Any other information asked for will be provided, if possible.

A big thank you in advance to anyone who gives their time to offer advice.
5 answers Last reply
More about windows installer dilemma

    Either you have some program that is corrupt or an install on demand feature
    that is trying to do just that.

    Windows Installer Appears Every Time I Start an Application

    [[Q. Every time I launch my application, Windows Installer performs an
    installation. How can I determine the cause of the on-demand installation?

    A. An easy way to determine the cause of an on-demand installation is to
    look in the application event log for MsiInstaller log messages of the form:

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MsiInstaller
    Event ID: 1001
    Detection of product '{000C1109-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', feature
    'Example' failed during request for component
    '{00030829-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}'

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: MsiInstaller
    Event ID: 1004
    Detection of product '{000C1109-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}', feature
    'Example', component '{00030829-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed. The
    resource 'C:\Progam Files\example\example.exe' does not exist.

    The first message (with event ID 1001) states which component was being
    installed. The component listed here is the component named in the
    Component_ column of the Shortcut table for the particular shortcut.

    The second message (with event ID 1004) indicates which component failed
    detection. Improved event logging in Windows Installer 2.0 has updated the
    message so that in most cases, the message identifies the actual resource
    that resulted in the failed detection. The component with the missing or
    damaged keypath is the component that is triggering the reinstallation.

    In the example above, the reinstallation is triggered because the resource
    'c:\Program Files\example\example.exe' does not exist. You would then need
    to find out why the keypath does not exist -in this case, the user deleted
    it.]]
    Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Installer
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/msi_faq.mspx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:FDC0E737-9AB8-40F2-AB31-6533EE6B804B@microsoft.com,
    Renegade <krazykook21@hotmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi everybody. I have a small problem with Windows Installer.
    >
    > First of all, it is installed properly and has been working fine the whole
    > time on my current computer. Recently, however, it has been popping up
    > whenver I try to run any program. It says that it is scanning for a
    > certain application component but never finds it, and then it says that
    > the component must be on a certain disk, which I am prompted to put in
    > the CD drive. Then, whenever I try to cancel out of Windows Installer,
    > it pops up again. I usually have to cancel out of it a couple times for
    > it to temporarily stop, otherwise it freezes the computer and I have to
    > close all the running applications with the task manager.
    >
    > I searched this problem on the Internet and found some solutions, one of
    > which I am trying to carry out. I downloaded the Windows Installer Clean
    > Up Utility, and installed it. The thing is, I don't really know what to
    > do with it. When I open it, it gives me a list of programs to remove, but
    > none of them are programs mentioned by the Windows Installer when it pops
    > up. By the way, the programs Windows Installer does mention are "Fax" and
    > "Quickprojects."
    >
    > I am becoming increasingly worried however, because I have discovered
    > missing files and am wondering if Windows Installer is corrupted and
    > causing this. Also, I have a Dell 4700 Desktop computer with Windows XP
    > Home Edition SP2. Any other information asked for will be provided, if
    > possible.
    >
    > A big thank you in advance to anyone who gives their time to offer advice.

    Thanks for your post. What you described in the Q & A section is exactly what
    is happening with Windows Installer on my computer; there is the 1001 error
    ID and then the 1004 error ID, with exactly the same following text about the
    missing components.

    After reading the page on Annoyances.org from the link that you posted, I
    tried Solution 2, and found everything was going exactly like it told me, but
    then I got stuck. In the Microsoft Management Console app, I tried to insert
    the Group Policy snap-in into the Console tree, but there was no Group Policy
    snap-in in the menu. Hopefully, there is a way around this or I just didnt do
    something right, or maybe there is another entirely different solution that
    you know of. Perhaps there is a way to find this "keypath?"

    Again, thank you for your excellent help.

    Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290301
    "Renegade" <krazykook21@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > Clean
    >> > Up Utility, and installed it. The thing is, I don't really know what to
    >> > do with it. When I open it, it gives me a list of programs to remove,
    >> > but
    >> > none of them are programs mentioned by the Windows Installer when it
    >> > pops
    >> > up. By the way, the programs Windows Installer does mention are "Fax"
    >> > and
    >> > "Quickprojects."
    >> >
    >> > I am becoming increasingly worried however, because I have discovered
    >> > missing files and am wondering if Windows Installer is corrupted and
    >> > causing this. Also, I have a Dell 4700 Desktop computer with Windows XP
    >> > Home Edition SP2. Any other information asked for will be provided, if
    >> > possible.
    >> >
    >> > A big thank you in advance to anyone who gives their time to offer

    Thank you for your post and link as well. I do have the Windows Installer
    Clean Up Utility, but I don't really know what to do with it. The programs
    that Windows Installer is having trouble with are called "Fax" and
    "QuickProjects," and neither of those come up on the given list, so I don't
    know if those programs are within a bigger program or if the problem is a
    different matter entirely. One thing I didn't want to do is cause more
    problems, so I didn't delete anything I didn't know about, although there
    were some I didn't recognize, such as a program called "Overland."

    One thing though, the page from the link you posted said that I should
    download the utilty, but I actually got it off the Windows XP Installer disk.
    Does anyone know if the download version is an updated version or if I should
    download that version if it is?

    Again, thanks to everyone.

    "Frank" wrote:

> [...]
    > >> Component_ column of the Shortcut table for the particular shortcut.
    > >>
    > >> The second message (with event ID 1004) indicates which component failed
    > >> detection. Improved event logging in Windows Installer 2.0 has updated
    > >> the
    > >> message so that in most cases, the message identifies the actual resource
    > >> that resulted in the failed detection. The component with the missing or
    > >> damaged keypath is the component that is triggering the reinstallation.
    > >>
    > >> In the example above, the reinstallation is triggered because the
    > >> resource
    > >> 'c:\Program Files\example\example.exe' does not exist. You would then
    > >> need
    > >> to find out why the keypath does not exist -in this case, the user
    > >> deleted
    > >> it.]]
    > >> Frequently Asked Questions About Windows Installer

    Ok, more thanks to Frank. I went and downloaded the updated version off of
    your linked site, and for some odd reason, the two programs I was looking for
    are now on the list. Now I am wondering if I should go ahead and remove the
    two programs causing the problem or if I should do something else.

    Thanks again.

Windows Installer Windows XP