Tags:
  • Desktops
  • Boot
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:33:23 AM

hi guys
iam having a small annoying problem.
everytime i boot up and get to my desktop screen i get the "choose the program you want to open this file" dialog box and the file its trying to open is called "marks" which is my name how do i stop this happening, can anyone help please.
thanks

More about : unwanted startup

a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:53:49 AM

Open the Control Panel (All Items View) and click on the Default Programs icon.

Click on the Set your default programs link.
In the left column, select (highlight) a listed program that you want to change it's default file associations for.
To Set All of the Default Assciations to the Program -
NOTE: This will associate the selected program as the default used by Windows 7 to open all of the file types and protocols that it can open.
Click on Set this program as default.
Click on the Save button to apply.
Click on OK.

These steps will help to reset your program associations so they will open with the correct default programs.
November 16, 2012 10:46:57 AM

thanks for the quick reply,
the file i mentioned in my 1st question does`nt have the full stop before the file name, its just "mark" not ".mark" and i cant see it in the "associate a file type or protocol with a program" heading, so i dont know what default program to use.
i hope i made myself clear.
ive also tried to check the little box at the bottom of "choose the program you want to open this file" dialog box and it wont highlight but it will allow me to use the browse option.
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 11:54:20 AM

run 'msconfig' and click 'statup' tab, check what programs are trying to run on startup and maybe disable the one thats causing the issue
November 16, 2012 12:45:49 PM

Quote:
run 'msconfig' and click 'statup' tab, check what programs are trying to run on startup and maybe disable the one thats causing the issue

hi there
thanks for repling ive done that already and its still the same.. dont you know how to "print screen" if you do and you could tell me i could send you a pic of my desktop and you`ll see what i mean.
thanks again
mark
a c 213 $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 12:59:59 PM

check the statup folder on the start button.
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 1:07:24 PM

it could be a virus or malware. try running a malware scan and make sure you have an anti virus software running. if yours is expired there mse/avast/avg that are free.
November 16, 2012 5:11:28 PM

i ran avg but didnt see anything then i used malwarebytes and its cleared it so thanks to everyone who gave me some input.... :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
!