I have a weird Norton Ghost problem. I wanted to make an image file of may
C-drive, and suddenly something locked up...When I restart my XPSP2 computer
it alwys start in PC dos mode now. Does somebody knows what happened, and
how I can reset this situation without reinstalling Windows? Any help is
very much appreciated.

You don't give much to go on. Which version of Ghost were you using? Which
methodology of creating a backup were you using (Windows interface or
floppies)? Any error messages?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>I have a weird Norton Ghost problem. I wanted to make an image file of may
>C-drive, and suddenly something locked up...When I restart my XPSP2
>computer it alwys start in PC dos mode now. Does somebody knows what
>happened, and how I can reset this situation without reinstalling Windows?
>Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks Richard, and sorry for my limited information. I have Norton Ghost
2003 version 7.0. I used to back up (.Gho files) on DVD. Last times I got
backups with errors ("failed"). Yesterday I tried to backup my C: drive
(system) on my G drive. Again a backup "with errors". Ghost advised to do an
integrity check, which I did, and then it happened. I could not return to
windows. Startup is always in PC dos mode...In the mean time I installed XP
on yet another drive (E) and could select the new XP . Strange enough, my C
drive there is labeled as "-vpsgh-boot" in "my computer", and in the
"computer mangement" storage overview disk 0 (used to be C:) is now partly
named F: and also a FAT part is on it, though all disks use NTFS format. The
G drive contains the GHS file. Should I try to restore from this? Hope this
is not too confusing.
..
"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You don't give much to go on. Which version of Ghost were you using? Which
> methodology of creating a backup were you using (Windows interface or
> floppies)? Any error messages?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>I have a weird Norton Ghost problem. I wanted to make an image file of may
>>C-drive, and suddenly something locked up...When I restart my XPSP2
>>computer it alwys start in PC dos mode now. Does somebody knows what
>>happened, and how I can reset this situation without reinstalling Windows?
>>Any help is very much appreciated.

Again, were you using the boot floppies for Ghost 2003 to create the image?

--

> Thanks Richard, and sorry for my limited information. I have Norton Ghost
> 2003 version 7.0. I used to back up (.Gho files) on DVD. Last times I got
> backups with errors ("failed"). Yesterday I tried to backup my C: drive
> (system) on my G drive. Again a backup "with errors". Ghost advised to do
> an integrity check, which I did, and then it happened. I could not return
> to windows. Startup is always in PC dos mode...In the mean time I
> installed XP on yet another drive (E) and could select the new XP .
> Strange enough, my C drive there is labeled as "-vpsgh-boot" in "my
> computer", and in the "computer mangement" storage overview disk 0 (used
> to be C:) is now partly named F: and also a FAT part is on it, though all
> disks use NTFS format. The G drive contains the GHS file. Should I try to
> restore from this? Hope this is not too confusing.
> .
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23eHQ40NsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> You don't give much to go on. Which version of Ghost were you using?
>> Which methodology of creating a backup were you using (Windows interface
>> or floppies)? Any error messages?
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>>I have a weird Norton Ghost problem. I wanted to make an image file of
>>>may C-drive, and suddenly something locked up...When I restart my XPSP2
>>>computer it alwys start in PC dos mode now. Does somebody knows what
>>>happened, and how I can reset this situation without reinstalling
>>>Windows? Any help is very much appreciated.

Ghost was installed on my C drive. So I started the program for creating the
image from my C drive and selected "backup" for creating an image of my C
drive to be saved on my G drive. I have 3 physical drives. C (disk0
20GB)with my original xpsp2, which now gets "partly" named as "F" in the
computer management local storage overview, and also contains the FAT
partition now.
Furter on disk1 (80GB): used to be F: is now changed to D: and then a
partioned disk 2 ( E: and G:). All disks seem to be renamed.
> Again, were you using the boot floppies for Ghost 2003 to create the
> image?
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>> Thanks Richard, and sorry for my limited information. I have Norton Ghost
>> 2003 version 7.0. I used to back up (.Gho files) on DVD. Last times I got
>> backups with errors ("failed"). Yesterday I tried to backup my C: drive
>> (system) on my G drive. Again a backup "with errors". Ghost advised to do
>> an integrity check, which I did, and then it happened. I could not return
>> to windows. Startup is always in PC dos mode...In the mean time I
>> installed XP on yet another drive (E) and could select the new XP .
>> Strange enough, my C drive there is labeled as "-vpsgh-boot" in "my
>> computer", and in the "computer mangement" storage overview disk 0 (used
>> to be C:) is now partly named F: and also a FAT part is on it, though all
>> disks use NTFS format. The G drive contains the GHS file. Should I try to
>> restore from this? Hope this is not too confusing.
>> .
>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:%23eHQ40NsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> You don't give much to go on. Which version of Ghost were you using?
>>> Which methodology of creating a backup were you using (Windows interface
>>> or floppies)? Any error messages?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> Quote from: George Ankner
>>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>>
>>> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message

It is known that the best way to image your system partition (usually C:)
when using Ghost 2003, is to use the boot up floppy that you can create from
within the windows interface for Ghost. One of the recurring problems using
the Windows interface, as you have done, is that the computer stalls upon
the reboot that is necessary to perform the imaging or restore from within
Windows.

You "may" be able to recover from this by running "fixmbr" from within the
repair console. You have to boot from a Windows XP CD to get to the repair
console. This will repair the master boot record and, hopefully, clear out
the entry that is preventing you from booting into Windows.

--

> Ghost was installed on my C drive. So I started the program for creating
> the image from my C drive and selected "backup" for creating an image of
> my C drive to be saved on my G drive. I have 3 physical drives. C (disk0
> 20GB)with my original xpsp2, which now gets "partly" named as "F" in the
> computer management local storage overview, and also contains the FAT
> partition now.
> Furter on disk1 (80GB): used to be F: is now changed to D: and then a
> partioned disk 2 ( E: and G:). All disks seem to be renamed.
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:uorDHcUsFHA.2996@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Again, were you using the boot floppies for Ghost 2003 to create the
>> image?
>>

>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Andre De Clercq" <andre.declercq@pandora.be> wrote in message
>>> Thanks Richard, and sorry for my limited information. I have Norton
>>> Ghost 2003 version 7.0. I used to back up (.Gho files) on DVD. Last
>>> times I got backups with errors ("failed"). Yesterday I tried to backup
>>> my C: drive (system) on my G drive. Again a backup "with errors". Ghost
>>> advised to do an integrity check, which I did, and then it happened. I
>>> could not return to windows. Startup is always in PC dos mode...In the
>>> mean time I installed XP on yet another drive (E) and could select the
>>> new XP . Strange enough, my C drive there is labeled as "-vpsgh-boot" in
>>> "my computer", and in the "computer mangement" storage overview disk 0
>>> (used to be C:) is now partly named F: and also a FAT part is on it,
>>> though all disks use NTFS format. The G drive contains the GHS file.
>>> Should I try to restore from this? Hope this is not too confusing.
>>> .
>>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>> message news:%23eHQ40NsFHA.260@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

I tried the MBR fix but no results. Saved as much as possible with the extra
XP installation and I am now formatting disk0 and reinstalling XP. Thanks
anyway.

In article <ulCWkvWsFHA.2996@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
andre.declercq@pandora.be says...
> I tried the MBR fix but no results. Saved as much as possible with the extra
> XP installation and I am now formatting disk0 and reinstalling XP. Thanks
> anyway.

You need to stop using GHOST 2003 from within Windows except for making
online backups.

To CLONE a drive to another drive, you open Ghost 2003, Utilities, Make
Ghost Boot disk, make the diskette.

Reboot the computer from the Floppy disk you just made - it will auto
start Ghost, select Disk to Disk.... It's all good now.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me