I'm still going mental!

MattieH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2003
Well for those who remember me - Ahoy, and for those who don't - Ahoy!

Well basically I posted here about my ongoing problems with game crashes and such, and I was told that is was my power supply. Well, it ends up it was actually a bad stick of RAM, so woohoo, good thing I had second thoughts before going and getting a PSU.

Anyhoo, that's not why I'm here. I still have a couple of problems. My floppy light is on, and it's in "My Computer" but when I put a disc in and try to open it it says there's no disc. So there I rearranged the way the cords plug in, this time when I try to open the floppy is makes the loading noise, then says something along the lines of "This disc in not formatted, would you like to Format? Yes, no" and brings me to a menu.

At this point I'm gettin fed up so I rearrange the cords to the last possible setup and turn the power on. This time it doesn't get to the windows loading screen, it stops at the black screen where it lists the slaves and what I saw of interest was "Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) On" and "Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)"

Now I'm a little worried, due to the fact I see the word virus.

While I'm at it I'll just mention a few other problems. My CD ROM seems to be acting up. I put a CD in, it sits there for about 10-20 seconds trying to load, then it usually struggles while playing a movie.

If you have any questions or need my dxdiag just ask. FYI I just got a new floppy and CD ROM just awhile ago, along with new cables.

Any assistance would be appreciated! Running adaware and www.pcpitstop.com for viruses as we speak!

Thanks!

At this point I'm gettin fed up so I rearrange the cords to the last possible setup and turn the power on. This time it doesn't get to the windows loading screen, it stops at the black screen where it lists the slaves and what I saw of interest was "Trend ChipAwayVirus(R) On" and "Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)"

Nothing to worry about... you have the boot-sector virus protection enabled in BIOS. Simply disable it to avoid seeing that message. (Windows setup tends to get really bitchy with it enabled, since it won't be allowed to write to the boot sector).

As for the floppy drive; you've got it connected wrong. Look at the back of the drive... pin 1 should be marked on the connector. Align the red stripe on the floppy cable with pin 1 on the drive. The motherboard connector is likely keyed, so you probably can't get that one backwards. When the light was on constantly, that was the first sign that the cable was on in the right position, just pin 1 was reversed. I'm not sure what you did when you 'rearranged' the cable, but it's clearly still not on correctly.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>