Files with no extensions

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi. I unhid the 'protected' os files (Explorer/Folder Options/View/Unchecked box 'Hide protected op system files', so my new spyware program (EWIDO from Germany) could scan them.
When I did, two files appeared on my desktop with no extensions. Same icon, different names.
I cannot delete, rename or add an extension to them. I don't recognize the icons either.
The properties say they are '0' byte files but I would still like to get rid of them. Is there a way to trace the path to the registry so I can delete them? Thanks folks. deango

G

It may be a NameSpace item.
If so remove it from the Registry using Regedit.
It should appear under the key: (along with the Recycle Bin, Inbox
etc.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

It is good practice to export any key before deletion in case of
error.

Don't delete this one. It is the Recycle Bin.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Desktop\NameSpace\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 16:45:25 -0600, "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com>
wrote:

>Hi. I unhid the 'protected' os files (Explorer/Folder Options/View/Unchecked box 'Hide protected op system files', so my new spyware program (EWIDO from Germany) could scan them.
>When I did, two files appeared on my desktop with no extensions. Same icon, different names.
>I cannot delete, rename or add an extension to them. I don't recognize the icons either.
>The properties say they are '0' byte files but I would still like to get rid of them. Is there a way to trace the path to the registry so I can delete them? Thanks folks. deango

G

Hi Alan. Thanks for the suggestion. I have three entries besides the Recycle Bin in Regedit/Name Space. Tried deleting just one to see if anything would happen (after backing up the registry of course). Nothing did. What is 'Name Space' supposed to be anyway, and if I deleted all but the Recycle Bin, what could happen? Thanks. deango
Alan Edwards wrote:
> It may be a NameSpace item.

G

Try here for a little on NameSpace items:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=global&query=namespace&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&ast=8&ast=9&mode=a&x=8&y=15

If you delete them and you have exported the keys for safety first,
then you can replace them but it may be better to determine what they
are. If the names are not obvious, then either search the Registry to
find them or post the keys here and someone should be able to tell you
what they are.

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 13:54:15 -0600, "deango" <Deango@nospamtoday.com>
wrote:

>Hi Alan. Thanks for the suggestion. I have three entries besides the Recycle Bin in Regedit/Name Space. Tried deleting just one to see if anything would happen (after backing up the registry of course). Nothing did. What is 'Name Space' supposed to be anyway, and if I deleted all but the Recycle Bin, what could happen? Thanks. deango
>Alan Edwards wrote:
>> It may be a NameSpace item.

G

Hello again Alan.
I don't think these two files have anything to do with NameSpaces from what I can read online.
When I do a 'search' for the file names, they both come up as entries in a folder called 'Recycler' on both my hard drives and in both primary and logical extensions.
I cannot delete them. They have great long numbers like this ;
S-1-5-21-1482476501-515967899-682003330-1004 I can't even use 'edit' 'select all' and 'copy'. It just won't do it...........Any suggestions? Thank for taking the time. deango
Alan Edwards wrote:
> If you delete them and you have exported the keys for safety first,
> then you can replace them but it may be better to determine what they
> are. If the names are not obvious, then either search the Registry to

> find them or post the keys here and someone should be able to tell you
> what they are.
>
> ...Alan
>
> > Hi Alan. Thanks for the suggestion. I have three entries besides
> > the Recycle Bin in Regedit/Name Space. Tried deleting just one to
> > see if anything would happen (after backing up the registry of