SECOND HD SHOWS AS PIO Only on new Dell 8300

Been trying to setup new Dell 8300 for my brother in
laws sister ...decided to take the hard drive from her
old computer and put it in the new DELL ...

The old drive is a Western Digital, 60gb ..(bout 3 years old)
the drive that came in the new dell is a 80gb Western
Digital (7200rpm) so I assumed these two drives would play
well together ... howerver, while the drive that came with the
DELL shows as UDMA 5 (transfer rate) .... the older drive
shows as PIO Only ....so, I did a quick check in the BIOS,
and the second HD doesn't even show up in the BIOS ..
(shows 'Primary Slave - NONE') .....

I've tried jumpering the drives, first one as Master, the second
as slave .... no difference ... I changed the jumpers to 'Cable
Select' for both drives .... no change, still PIO Only on the 2nd
drive.

I ran Western Digitals 'Data Lifeguard' Diagnostics on the drive,
and it reports the drive is good (No Errors)

Any Ideas?

Thanks
11 answers Last reply
More about second shows dell 8300

    "Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Been trying to setup new Dell 8300 for my brother in
    > laws sister ...decided to take the hard drive from her
    > old computer and put it in the new DELL ...
    >
    > The old drive is a Western Digital, 60gb ..(bout 3 years old)
    > the drive that came in the new dell is a 80gb Western
    > Digital (7200rpm) so I assumed these two drives would play
    > well together ... howerver, while the drive that came with the
    > DELL shows as UDMA 5 (transfer rate) .... the older drive
    > shows as PIO Only ....so, I did a quick check in the BIOS,
    > and the second HD doesn't even show up in the BIOS ..
    > (shows 'Primary Slave - NONE') .....
    >
    > I've tried jumpering the drives, first one as Master, the second
    > as slave .... no difference ... I changed the jumpers to 'Cable
    > Select' for both drives .... no change, still PIO Only on the 2nd
    > drive.
    >
    > I ran Western Digitals 'Data Lifeguard' Diagnostics on the drive,
    > and it reports the drive is good (No Errors)
    >
    > Any Ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    Jumper both drives CS/cable select, then boot into BIOS and default
    settings/force IDE configuration by pressing ALT+F, then ESC, then enter to
    'save changes and exit.

    Make sure your cable connections are secure.

    Stew

    On 17-May-2004, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    > Jumper both drives CS/cable select, then boot into BIOS and default
    > settings/force IDE configuration by pressing ALT+F, then ESC, then enter
    > to 'save changes and exit.

    Thanks for the info ... I will try this next time I get over there.
    I guess the Dell Bios's are just different? I mean, of all the pc's
    I put a 2nd hard drive in,their bios's were always set for something
    like 'Auto Detect' for hard drives, and apparently the Dells arent?
    (altho I do remember installing a 2nd harddrive in my sisters 4300,
    and it ran fine with no problems)

    > On 17-May-2004, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Jumper both drives CS/cable select, then boot into BIOS and default
    >> settings/force IDE configuration by pressing ALT+F, then ESC, then enter
    >> to 'save changes and exit.
    >
    > Thanks for the info ... I will try this next time I get over there.
    > I guess the Dell Bios's are just different? I mean, of all the pc's
    > I put a 2nd hard drive in,their bios's were always set for something
    > like 'Auto Detect' for hard drives, and apparently the Dells arent?
    > (altho I do remember installing a 2nd harddrive in my sisters 4300,
    > and it ran fine with no problems)

    You may need to change the BIOS setting for the drive (Primary Drive 1) to
    "auto" manually. Not sure, but it would seem that those settings default to
    "off" if a drive is not present and they need to be enabled.

    Stew

    On 17-May-2004, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

    > You may need to change the BIOS setting for the drive (Primary Drive 1) to
    > "auto" manually

    Maybe my prob is, these Dells bios's are just too
    simple ... I am used to Phoenix, and AMI bios's ...
    where there is always PAGES of bios settings ...
    where the dell is always just 'one page' (and very
    few things you can set) and I looked for something
    that you could set 'Manual' or "auto" for hard drive
    detection ... and I did not see any such option on
    her Dell 8300 ...

    Guess I will just have to take a closer look .... but,
    just to be sure .. based on what little info I have
    provided so far (in my first post) ... would you
    think this is definately a BIOS issue, and NOT
    the particular hard drive?

    It's there. Have to change it to Auto.

    Tom

    > It's there. Have to change it to Auto.
    >
    > Tom

    <snip>

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim4300/syssetup.htm#1097056

    Stew

    > It's there. Have to change it to Auto.
    >
    > Tom

    <snip>

    http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8300/sm/syssetup.htm

    "drive configuration" / primary drive 1

    I'm having one of those days...

    Stew

    Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
    whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
    states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
    time I get over there, I will look more closely ...

    Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
    couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
    but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
    guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
    from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.

    Learn something every day ...

    Thanks again .... for all the help

    Yeah, that's why so many of us have gotten burned by this :)

    > Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
    > whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
    > states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
    > time I get over there, I will look more closely ...
    >
    > Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
    > couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
    > but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
    > guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
    > from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.
    >
    > Learn something every day ...
    >
    > Thanks again .... for all the hel

    "Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
    > whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
    > states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
    > time I get over there, I will look more closely ...
    >
    > Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
    > couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
    > but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
    > guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
    > from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.
    >
    > Learn something every day ...
    >
    > Thanks again .... for all the help

    I agree. From your post, I gathered that Windows was seeing the drive (even
    if in PIO), which almost always means that BIOS has detected and identified
    it to some degree.

    This may still be the case. It will depend on what you find when you get
    there. Could just be a flaky cable or jumper....

    Stew

    It's the BIOS settings. Trust me. Been there, done that, suffered with it.

    Tom
    "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message

    > "Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
    > > whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
    > > states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
    > > time I get over there, I will look more closely ...
    > >
    > > Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
    > > couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
    > > but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
    > > guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
    > > from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.
    > >
    > > Learn something every day ...
    > >
    > > Thanks again .... for all the help
    >

    > I agree. From your post, I gathered that Windows was seeing the drive
    (even
    > if in PIO), which almost always means that BIOS has detected and
    identified
    > it to some degree.
    >
    > This may still be the case. It will depend on what you find when you get
    > there. Could just be a flaky cable or jumper....
    >

    > Stew

Dell Computers