Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SECOND HD SHOWS AS PIO Only on new Dell 8300

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:42:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Been trying to setup new Dell 8300 for my brother in
laws sister ...decided to take the hard drive from her
old computer and put it in the new DELL ...

The old drive is a Western Digital, 60gb ..(bout 3 years old)
the drive that came in the new dell is a 80gb Western
Digital (7200rpm) so I assumed these two drives would play
well together ... howerver, while the drive that came with the
DELL shows as UDMA 5 (transfer rate) .... the older drive
shows as PIO Only ....so, I did a quick check in the BIOS,
and the second HD doesn't even show up in the BIOS ..
(shows 'Primary Slave - NONE') .....

I've tried jumpering the drives, first one as Master, the second
as slave .... no difference ... I changed the jumpers to 'Cable
Select' for both drives .... no change, still PIO Only on the 2nd
drive.

I ran Western Digitals 'Data Lifeguard' Diagnostics on the drive,
and it reports the drive is good (No Errors)

Any Ideas?

Thanks

More about : shows pio dell 8300

Anonymous
May 17, 2004 5:42:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:10ahg9h8vgq4319@news.supernews.com...
> Been trying to setup new Dell 8300 for my brother in
> laws sister ...decided to take the hard drive from her
> old computer and put it in the new DELL ...
>
> The old drive is a Western Digital, 60gb ..(bout 3 years old)
> the drive that came in the new dell is a 80gb Western
> Digital (7200rpm) so I assumed these two drives would play
> well together ... howerver, while the drive that came with the
> DELL shows as UDMA 5 (transfer rate) .... the older drive
> shows as PIO Only ....so, I did a quick check in the BIOS,
> and the second HD doesn't even show up in the BIOS ..
> (shows 'Primary Slave - NONE') .....
>
> I've tried jumpering the drives, first one as Master, the second
> as slave .... no difference ... I changed the jumpers to 'Cable
> Select' for both drives .... no change, still PIO Only on the 2nd
> drive.
>
> I ran Western Digitals 'Data Lifeguard' Diagnostics on the drive,
> and it reports the drive is good (No Errors)
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Thanks


Jumper both drives CS/cable select, then boot into BIOS and default
settings/force IDE configuration by pressing ALT+F, then ESC, then enter to
'save changes and exit.

Make sure your cable connections are secure.


Stew
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 6:34:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On 17-May-2004, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

> Jumper both drives CS/cable select, then boot into BIOS and default
> settings/force IDE configuration by pressing ALT+F, then ESC, then enter
> to 'save changes and exit.

Thanks for the info ... I will try this next time I get over there.
I guess the Dell Bios's are just different? I mean, of all the pc's
I put a 2nd hard drive in,their bios's were always set for something
like 'Auto Detect' for hard drives, and apparently the Dells arent?
(altho I do remember installing a 2nd harddrive in my sisters 4300,
and it ran fine with no problems)
Related resources
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 6:34:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:10ahjc33adjbcb9@news.supernews.com...
>
> On 17-May-2004, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> Jumper both drives CS/cable select, then boot into BIOS and default
>> settings/force IDE configuration by pressing ALT+F, then ESC, then enter
>> to 'save changes and exit.
>
> Thanks for the info ... I will try this next time I get over there.
> I guess the Dell Bios's are just different? I mean, of all the pc's
> I put a 2nd hard drive in,their bios's were always set for something
> like 'Auto Detect' for hard drives, and apparently the Dells arent?
> (altho I do remember installing a 2nd harddrive in my sisters 4300,
> and it ran fine with no problems)


You may need to change the BIOS setting for the drive (Primary Drive 1) to
"auto" manually. Not sure, but it would seem that those settings default to
"off" if a drive is not present and they need to be enabled.

Stew
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 8:04:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On 17-May-2004, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:

> You may need to change the BIOS setting for the drive (Primary Drive 1) to
> "auto" manually

Maybe my prob is, these Dells bios's are just too
simple ... I am used to Phoenix, and AMI bios's ...
where there is always PAGES of bios settings ...
where the dell is always just 'one page' (and very
few things you can set) and I looked for something
that you could set 'Manual' or "auto" for hard drive
detection ... and I did not see any such option on
her Dell 8300 ...

Guess I will just have to take a closer look .... but,
just to be sure .. based on what little info I have
provided so far (in my first post) ... would you
think this is definately a BIOS issue, and NOT
the particular hard drive?
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 8:04:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's there. Have to change it to Auto.

Tom
"Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:10ahok057b3ff97@news.supernews.com...
>
> On 17-May-2004, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote:
>
> > You may need to change the BIOS setting for the drive (Primary Drive 1)
to
> > "auto" manually
>
> Maybe my prob is, these Dells bios's are just too
> simple ... I am used to Phoenix, and AMI bios's ...
> where there is always PAGES of bios settings ...
> where the dell is always just 'one page' (and very
> few things you can set) and I looked for something
> that you could set 'Manual' or "auto" for hard drive
> detection ... and I did not see any such option on
> her Dell 8300 ...
>
> Guess I will just have to take a closer look .... but,
> just to be sure .. based on what little info I have
> provided so far (in my first post) ... would you
> think this is definately a BIOS issue, and NOT
> the particular hard drive?
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 8:04:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:p NWdnWzINMuPczXdRVn-gw@comcast.com...
> It's there. Have to change it to Auto.
>
> Tom

<snip>

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8300/sm/syssetu...

"drive configuration" / primary drive 1

I'm having one of those days...

Stew
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 10:43:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
time I get over there, I will look more closely ...

Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.

Learn something every day ...

Thanks again .... for all the help
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 10:43:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Yeah, that's why so many of us have gotten burned by this :) 


"Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:10ai1tvnsemrj29@news.supernews.com...
> Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
> whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
> states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
> time I get over there, I will look more closely ...
>
> Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
> couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
> but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
> guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
> from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.
>
> Learn something every day ...
>
> Thanks again .... for all the hel
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 10:43:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:10ai1tvnsemrj29@news.supernews.com...
> Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
> whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
> states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
> time I get over there, I will look more closely ...
>
> Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
> couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
> but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
> guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
> from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.
>
> Learn something every day ...
>
> Thanks again .... for all the help


I agree. From your post, I gathered that Windows was seeing the drive (even
if in PIO), which almost always means that BIOS has detected and identified
it to some degree.

This may still be the case. It will depend on what you find when you get
there. Could just be a flaky cable or jumper....


Stew
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 1:10:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's the BIOS settings. Trust me. Been there, done that, suffered with it.

Tom
"S.Lewis" <stew1960@mail.com> wrote in message
news:vUaqc.36791$z41.3024@bignews1.bellsouth.net...
>
> "Mark Timerding" <mtimerding@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:10ai1tvnsemrj29@news.supernews.com...
> > Okay .... I think what I seen so far, explains the why and
> > whats of my problem ... particularily, where that link
> > states a 2nd harddrive is OFF by default ....so, next
> > time I get over there, I will look more closely ...
> >
> > Whats interesting to me, I THOUGHT that Windows (XP)
> > couldnt see a drive period, if it wasn't enabled in the bios ...
> > but, obviously in this case, it can but as PIO only ....
> > guess that also explains, why none of my disk utils, run
> > from DOS, could not see a 2nd drive either.
> >
> > Learn something every day ...
> >
> > Thanks again .... for all the help
>
>
> I agree. From your post, I gathered that Windows was seeing the drive
(even
> if in PIO), which almost always means that BIOS has detected and
identified
> it to some degree.
>
> This may still be the case. It will depend on what you find when you get
> there. Could just be a flaky cable or jumper....
>
>
> Stew
>
>
>
>
!