Status
Not open for further replies.

I tried to access my Help & Support Center link from the startup menu, and
the following message comes up:

Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe. Make sure you typed the name correctly,
and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then
click Search.

Any suggestions? I would like for it to work.

Hi,

Follow the instruction in this article.
"Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm

If the previous solution didn't work take a look at these articles, in particular,
"Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center".
Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

pznpod wrote:
> I tried to access my Help & Support Center link from the
> startup menu, and the following message comes up:
>
> Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe. Make sure you typed
> the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
> file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
>
> Any suggestions? I would like for it to work.

After doing the first suggestion, I get this message:

Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support'.

What is the next step?

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Follow the instruction in this article.
> "Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm
>
> If the previous solution didn't work take a look at these articles, in particular,
> "Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center".
> Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> pznpod wrote:
> > I tried to access my Help & Support Center link from the
> > startup menu, and the following message comes up:
> >
> > Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe. Make sure you typed
> > the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
> > file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
> >
> > Any suggestions? I would like for it to work.

Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
Double-click Help and Support
Set the Startup type to Automatic
Start the Service

"Help and Support Error" - Service not started
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B2EAECFF-663B-4AE3-B52D-91DB073D30E2@microsoft.com,
pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> After doing the first suggestion, I get this message:
>
> Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
> running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support'.
>
> What is the next step?
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Follow the instruction in this article.
>> "Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm
>>
>> If the previous solution didn't work take a look at these articles, in
>> particular, "Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center".
>> Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> pznpod wrote:
>>> I tried to access my Help & Support Center link from the
>>> startup menu, and the following message comes up:
>>>
>>> Windows cannot find 'helpctr.exe. Make sure you typed
>>> the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a
>>> file, click the Start button, and then click Search.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I would like for it to work.

When I did this step, I did not see Help and Support listed. How do I "bring
it back"? I did not have an Xp CD only restore CDs. Help?!?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
> Double-click Help and Support
> Set the Startup type to Automatic
> Start the Service
>
> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:B2EAECFF-663B-4AE3-B52D-91DB073D30E2@microsoft.com,
> pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > After doing the first suggestion, I get this message:
> >
> > Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
> > running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and Support'.
> >
> > What is the next step?
> >

> > "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Follow the instruction in this article.
> >> "Help and Support" link from Start Menu does not work
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/startmenuhelp.htm
> >>
> >> If the previous solution didn't work take a look at these articles, in
> >> particular, "Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center".
> >> Troubleshooting problems with Help and Support Center
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpctr.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
> >> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> >> http://bertk.mvps.org

helpsvc is the Help and Support service.

Try this.

Open a command prompt...
Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
In the command prompt window type:

sc query helpsvc

Hit your Enter key.

What is displayed?
-----

Still in the command prompt, type:

net start helpsvc

Hit your Enter key.

What is displayed?
-----

You can copy the text from the command prompt.

Right click on the top Title bar | Point to Edit | Click Select All |
Hit your Enter key

The text has been copied to the Windows Clipboard, you can now paste it into
a message.

If the Help and Support service did not start, open the Registry Editor.

Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
Navigate to this key >>>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc

Do you have that registry key?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:611B12DD-1DD8-4E55-A6AB-5F7A280A40CD@microsoft.com,
pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> When I did this step, I did not see Help and Support listed. How do I
> "bring it back"? I did not have an Xp CD only restore CDs. Help?!?
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
>> Double-click Help and Support
>> Set the Startup type to Automatic
>> Start the Service
>>
>> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:B2EAECFF-663B-4AE3-B52D-91DB073D30E2@microsoft.com,
>> pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> After doing the first suggestion, I get this message:
>>>
>>> Windows cannot open Help and Support because a system service is not
>>> running. To fix this problem, start the service named 'Help and
>>> Support'.
>>>
>>> What is the next step?

Per your instructions, here what occurred after typing the first two commands.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>sc query helpsvc

SERVICE_NAME: helpsvc
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 1 STOPPED
(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>net start helpsvc
System error 1083 has occurred.

The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not
implem
ent the service.

Also I do have the registry code for helpsvc.

What is the next step?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> helpsvc is the Help and Support service.
>
> Try this.
>
> Open a command prompt...
> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
> In the command prompt window type:
>
> sc query helpsvc
>
> Hit your Enter key.
>
> What is displayed?
> -----
>
> Still in the command prompt, type:
>
> net start helpsvc
>
> Hit your Enter key.
>
> What is displayed?
> -----
>
> You can copy the text from the command prompt.
>
> Right click on the top Title bar | Point to Edit | Click Select All |
> Hit your Enter key
>
> The text has been copied to the Windows Clipboard, you can now paste it into
> a message.
>
> If the Help and Support service did not start, open the Registry Editor.
>
> Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
> Navigate to this key >>>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc
>
> Do you have that registry key?
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:611B12DD-1DD8-4E55-A6AB-5F7A280A40CD@microsoft.com,
> pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> > When I did this step, I did not see Help and Support listed. How do I
> > "bring it back"? I did not have an Xp CD only restore CDs. Help?!?
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
> >
> >> Click Start, Run and type Services.msc
> >> Double-click Help and Support
> >> Set the Startup type to Automatic
> >> Start the Service
> >>
> >> "Help and Support Error" - Service not started
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/helpsvc.htm
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >>
> >> Wes
> >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> >>
> >> In news:B2EAECFF-663B-4AE3-B52D-91DB073D30E2@microsoft.com,
> >> pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

I don't know for sure.

This entry of yours...
STATE : 1 STOPPED
(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

is different then mine...
(STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)

NOT_STOPPABLE and STOPPABLE

I'm fishing, looking for something that is stopping Help and Support service
from appearing in Services and what is not letting it start.

STATE: 1 STOPPED means that the helpsvc is stopped, but we knew that.

WIN32_EXIT_CODE: 0 (0x0) means The operation completed successfully. I
think.

If the service was started successfully, the WIN32_EXIT_CODE field should
contain a zero (0).

The only dependency that Help and Support service has is Remote Procedure
Call (RPC) RPCSS. That means that RPC needs to be running before helpsvc
can start.

We need to see if RPC is running.

Open a command prompt and type:

sc query RPCSS

Hit your Enter key.

If you see STATE: 4 RUNNING, RPC is running.

If RPC isn't running, still in a command prompt type:

net start RPCSS

Hit your Enter key.

Still in a command prompt type:

sc qc helpsvc

Hit your Enter key.

Post back with anything that you think is relevant.

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:A93615A4-20C3-4491-B53E-CE66A69F7BAD@microsoft.com,
pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Per your instructions, here what occurred after typing the first two
> commands.
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>sc query helpsvc
>
> SERVICE_NAME: helpsvc
> TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> STATE : 1 STOPPED
>
> (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN) WIN32_EXIT_CODE
> : 0 (0x0) SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> WAIT_HINT : 0x0
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>net start helpsvc
> System error 1083 has occurred.
>
> The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not
> implem
> ent the service.
>
> Also I do have the registry code for helpsvc.
>
> What is the next step?
>

> "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
>
>> helpsvc is the Help and Support service.
>>
>> Try this.
>>
>> Open a command prompt...
>> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
>> In the command prompt window type:
>>
>> sc query helpsvc
>>
>> Hit your Enter key.
>>
>> What is displayed?
>> -----
>>
>> Still in the command prompt, type:
>>
>> net start helpsvc
>>
>> Hit your Enter key.
>>
>> What is displayed?
>> -----
>>
>> You can copy the text from the command prompt.
>>
>> Right click on the top Title bar | Point to Edit | Click Select All |
>> Hit your Enter key
>>
>> The text has been copied to the Windows Clipboard, you can now paste it
>> into a message.
>>
>> If the Help and Support service did not start, open the Registry Editor.
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
>> Navigate to this key >>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc
>>
>> Do you have that registry key?
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:611B12DD-1DD8-4E55-A6AB-5F7A280A40CD@microsoft.com,
>> pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> When I did this step, I did not see Help and Support listed. How do I

Here is what happened after checking RPCSS and helpsvc:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>sc query rpcss

SERVICE_NAME: rpcss
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
STATE : 4 RUNNING
(NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
CHECKPOINT : 0x0
WAIT_HINT : 0x0

C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>sc qc helpsvc
[SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS

SERVICE_NAME: helpsvc
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
TAG : 0
DISPLAY_NAME : Help and Support
DEPENDENCIES : RPCSS
SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem

What does your registry have in helpsvc section? Are any particular things
I should look for?

"Wesley Vogel" wrote:

> [...]
> >> Start | Run | Type: cmd | Click OK |
> >> In the command prompt window type:
> >>
> >> sc query helpsvc
> >>
> >> Hit your Enter key.
> >>
> >> What is displayed?
> >> -----
> >>
> >> Still in the command prompt, type:
> >>
> >> net start helpsvc
> >>
> >> Hit your Enter key.
> >>
> >> What is displayed?
> >> -----
> >>
> >> You can copy the text from the command prompt.
> >>
> >> Right click on the top Title bar | Point to Edit | Click Select All |
> >> Hit your Enter key
> >>
> >> The text has been copied to the Windows Clipboard, you can now paste it
> >> into a message.
> >>
> >> If the Help and Support service did not start, open the Registry Editor.
> >>
> >> Start | Run | Type: regedit | Click OK |
> >> Navigate to this key >>>
> >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc

Both sc query results look just like mine do.

SERVICE_NAME: helpsvc
TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START

2 AUTO_START means that helpsvc is set to start Automatically when Windows
starts.
------

From my Registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc
Name: DependOnGroup
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data:
{{{Note, the above Data is empty, nothing here!!!}}}

Name: DependOnService
Type: REG_MULTI_SZ
Data: RPCSS

Name: Description
Type: REG_SZ
Data: Enables Help and Support Center to run on this computer. If this
service is stopped, Help and Support Center will be unavailable. If this
service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to
start.

Name: DisplayName
Type: REG_SZ
Data: Help and Support

Name: ErrorControl
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

Name: FailureActions
Type: REG_BINARY
Data: hex:80,51,01,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,00,\
00,00,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,64,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,64,00,00,00

Name: ImagePath
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: %SystemRoot%\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs

Name: ObjectName
Type: REG_SZ
Data: LocalSystem

Name: Start
Type:REG_DWORD
Data: 2

Name: Type
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 20

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc\Parameters
Name: ServiceDll
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: %WINDIR%\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\pchsvc.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc\Security
Name: Security
Type: REG_BINARY
Data: =hex:01,00,14,80,90,00,00,00,9c,00,00,00,14,00,00,00,30,00,00,00,02,\
00,1c,00,01,00,00,00,02,80,14,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00,\
00,00,02,00,60,00,04,00,00,00,00,00,14,00,fd,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,\
05,12,00,00,00,00,00,18,00,ff,01,0f,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,\
20,02,00,00,00,00,14,00,8d,01,02,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,0b,00,00,00,00,\
00,18,00,fd,01,02,00,01,02,00,00,00,00,00,05,20,00,00,00,23,02,00,00,01,01,\
00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00,01,01,00,00,00,00,00,05,12,00,00,00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\helpsvc\Enum
Name: 0
Type: REG_SZ
Data: Root\LEGACY_HELPSVC\0000

Name: Count
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

Name: NextInstance
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1
-----

Maybe you just need to reinstall Help and Support.

Reinstalling Help and Support Center in Windows XP
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:9BC592F9-FC48-4F75-9B4F-21D8B727F811@microsoft.com,
pznpod <pznpod@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Here is what happened after checking RPCSS and helpsvc:
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>sc query rpcss
>
> SERVICE_NAME: rpcss
> TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> STATE : 4 RUNNING
>
> (NOT_STOPPABLE,NOT_PAUSABLE,IGNORES_SHUTDOWN) WIN32_EXIT_CODE
> : 0 (0x0) SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
> CHECKPOINT : 0x0
> WAIT_HINT : 0x0
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Lawson-Andrea Smith>sc qc helpsvc
> [SC] GetServiceConfig SUCCESS
>
> SERVICE_NAME: helpsvc
> TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
> START_TYPE : 2 AUTO_START
> ERROR_CONTROL : 1 NORMAL
> BINARY_PATH_NAME : C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs
> LOAD_ORDER_GROUP :
> TAG : 0
> DISPLAY_NAME : Help and Support
> DEPENDENCIES : RPCSS
> SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem
>
> What does your registry have in helpsvc section? Are any particular
> things I should look for?

<snip>