Can't change from poor resolution

I just bought a used P4 2.5G machine from a friend and XP Home Edition (OEM)
came with it. I deleted the boot partition and reloaded XP to clean up the
machine. Now, I can't get the resolution of the monitor to change from the
most coarse setting. When I go to the Control Panel Display Properties screen
and select the Settings tab, I only get 16 bit color with 640 x 480
resolution and I can't change from this setting.

What must I do to be able to select finer resolutions?
--
Jim H.

"Jim H." <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a used P4 2.5G machine from a friend and XP Home Edition
(OEM)
> came with it. I deleted the boot partition and reloaded XP to clean up the
> machine. Now, I can't get the resolution of the monitor to change from the
> most coarse setting. When I go to the Control Panel Display Properties
screen
> and select the Settings tab, I only get 16 bit color with 640 x 480
> resolution and I can't change from this setting.
>
> What must I do to be able to select finer resolutions?
> --
> Jim H.

You must install the correct driver for your video adapter. If you do
not know what it is, run Aida32.exe, available from here:
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

You will need to install:

1) Motherboard chipset drivers -- usually to get the correctly AGP slot
drivers

2) Latest available video card drivers -- The default drivers that are
shipped with XP are extremely "limited."

Once these are installed, you should be set the correct monitor.

>I appologize for not being more specific about my problem. I have no
>problem
> identifying the driver I need. My problem is that the "Properties" button
> is
> grayed out on the Display Properties > Settings Tab > Advanced Button >
> Monitor Tab > Monitor Type. That is, even with the proper driver on a
> floppy,
> I cannot get the "Properties" button to respond to let me install it. What
> can I do to make this button active?
> --
> Jim H.
>

> "Pegasus (MVP)" wrote:
>

>> "Jim H." <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I just bought a used P4 2.5G machine from a friend and XP Home Edition
>> (OEM)
>> > came with it. I deleted the boot partition and reloaded XP to clean up
>> > the
>> > machine. Now, I can't get the resolution of the monitor to change from
>> > the
>> > most coarse setting. When I go to the Control Panel Display Properties
>> screen
>> > and select the Settings tab, I only get 16 bit color with 640 x 480
>> > resolution and I can't change from this setting.
>> >
>> > What must I do to be able to select finer resolutions?
>> > --
>> > Jim H.
>>
>> You must install the correct driver for your video adapter. If you do
>> not know what it is, run Aida32.exe, available from here:
>> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=3

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Jim H. <JimH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on Mon, 5 Sep 2005:

>I appologize for not being more specific about my problem. I have no problem
>identifying the driver I need. My problem is that the "Properties" button is
>grayed out on the Display Properties > Settings Tab > Advanced Button >
>Monitor Tab > Monitor Type. That is, even with the proper driver on a floppy,
>I cannot get the "Properties" button to respond to let me install it. What
>can I do to make this button active?

Hi Jim

It's the driver for your video adapter you probably need to change, not
the monitor, and I doubt you'd get that on a floppy :)

Download the correct driver and install it through Display Properties >
Settings tab > Advanced button > Adapter tab > Properties > Driver. Some
drivers (e.g. Nvidia) come with a self-installer that you only need to
double-click.

--
Nightowl