Dell post-purchase policy

Paul

Splendid

Does anyone have experiences with Dell regarding post-purchase price
changes. For example, if you have already purchased a computer from
them recently but have seen the price decrease further at their
website (for the same item), can you get money back for the difference
in price? Thanks.

from the Dell forum

"You have 30 days from your invoice date to call Dell and request that a
price protection be run on your system. Although this is not a Dell policy,
it is a courtesy that Dell provides. If the overall price of your system
drops over $50, Dell will credit back the difference to your original form
of payment. Promotions and special offers are not included when the price
protection rebate is run. The price protection is a one time offer. "

"Paul" <pberg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have experiences with Dell regarding post-purchase price
> changes. For example, if you have already purchased a computer from
> them recently but have seen the price decrease further at their
> website (for the same item), can you get money back for the difference
> in price? Thanks.

I don't have personal experience, but see the Dell support forum:

forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=cc_credit_returnberg@yahoo.c
om> wrote in message news:f9e226bb.0408171034.1958d4d4@posting.google.com...

You can ask for a "price protection" within 30 days of your purchase - this
is not official Dell policy, only a courtesy.
Specials / promotions are not factored into the "price protection".

"scooby" <scooby@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I don't have personal experience, but see the Dell support forum:

forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board?board.id=cc_credit_returnberg@yahoo.c
> om> wrote in message
>
> You can ask for a "price protection" within 30 days of your purchase -
this
> is not official Dell policy, only a courtesy.
> Specials / promotions are not factored into the "price protection".
>

> > Does anyone have experiences with Dell regarding post-purchase price
> > changes. For example, if you have already purchased a computer from
> > them recently but have seen the price decrease further at their
> > website (for the same item), can you get money back for the difference
> > in price? Thanks.

Here's the logic:
You have 30 days, period, in which to return a new Dell for a full refund
(perhaps except shipping costs).
You call Dell and say: "I see my computer being listed for $X.oo less than
what I paid. I would like the difference in cost refunded."
They say: "we can't authorize a refund for less than $50.oo"
You say: "Fine. I want to return my Dell and get my money back."
They say: "just a moment, please hold..." -- hurried whispered conference
with his/her supervisor.
They say: "alright, but we can only make this exception *once*. You cannot
call back later and ask for another refund if the price drops."
You say: "Just send the money." (Don't agree with them.)

You can keep this up indefinitely during the 30 day period. Just don't
agree that you won't call back.

Why can you do this? Because the cost of taking a computer BACK and having
to store it and resell it as a refurbished unit is a HUGE hit in the ol'
corporate pocketbook. It is FAR more economical to simply refund you that
small difference than to make an issue over it and lose the big bucks.

Hint:
you have a 4-year complete care warranty: protects against everything,
including getting run over by a car.
you have 1 day left on that warranty. Somehow, your laptop accidentally
gets left behind the rear wheel of your car as it backs out of the driveway.
Oops! (you call tech support)... "Gee, I, uh, somehow ran over my laptop...
I think one of the kids was out there playing a game wirelessly over the net
or something and just left it there..."
they say: "You have 1 day left on your warranty..."
you say: "I DO??? WOW! Does that mean you can *replace* it?"
they say: "yes, but that model is no longer made. We'll have to give you
something newer, yet comparable..."
you say: "oh... well, I really liked my old turtle... are you SURE you
can't send me a turtle?"
they say: "we're sure. We will have to send you a rabbit."
you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."

Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may have
a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...

R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
*Help for Humans in Need*
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)

--A pessimist is never disappointed.

"Paul" <pberg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone have experiences with Dell regarding post-purchase price
> changes. For example, if you have already purchased a computer from
> them recently but have seen the price decrease further at their
> website (for the same item), can you get money back for the difference
> in price? Thanks.

clint

Gee, I hope everyone starts following your advice, so I can pay twice as
much for my next computer...

Clint

Hey, I never said it was *ethical* ... :)

"Clint" <nobody@nowhere.non> wrote in message
> [...]
>> can't send me a turtle?"
>> they say: "we're sure. We will have to send you a rabbit."
>> you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."
>>
>> Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may
> have
>> a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...
>>
>> R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
>> *Help for Humans in Need*
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
>> http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
>>
>> --A pessimist is never disappointed.
>>

>> "Paul" <pberg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Does anyone have experiences with Dell regarding post-purchase price
>> > changes. For example, if you have already purchased a computer from
>> > them recently but have seen the price decrease further at their
>> > website (for the same item), can you get money back for the difference

Are you writing this post from prison?

"Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
> Here's the logic:
> You have 30 days, period, in which to return a new Dell for a full refund
> (perhaps except shipping costs).
> You call Dell and say: "I see my computer being listed for $X.oo less
> than what I paid. I would like the difference in cost refunded."
> They say: "we can't authorize a refund for less than $50.oo"
> You say: "Fine. I want to return my Dell and get my money back."
> They say: "just a moment, please hold..." -- hurried whispered
> conference with his/her supervisor.
> They say: "alright, but we can only make this exception *once*. You
> cannot call back later and ask for another refund if the price drops."
> You say: "Just send the money." (Don't agree with them.)
>
> You can keep this up indefinitely during the 30 day period. Just don't
> agree that you won't call back.
>
> Why can you do this? Because the cost of taking a computer BACK and
> having to store it and resell it as a refurbished unit is a HUGE hit in
> the ol' corporate pocketbook. It is FAR more economical to simply refund
> you that small difference than to make an issue over it and lose the big
> bucks.
>
> Hint:
> you have a 4-year complete care warranty: protects against everything,
> including getting run over by a car.
> you have 1 day left on that warranty. Somehow, your laptop accidentally
> gets left behind the rear wheel of your car as it backs out of the
> driveway.
> Oops! (you call tech support)... "Gee, I, uh, somehow ran over my
> laptop... I think one of the kids was out there playing a game wirelessly
> over the net or something and just left it there..."
> they say: "You have 1 day left on your warranty..."
> you say: "I DO??? WOW! Does that mean you can *replace* it?"
> they say: "yes, but that model is no longer made. We'll have to give you
> something newer, yet comparable..."
> you say: "oh... well, I really liked my old turtle... are you SURE you
> can't send me a turtle?"
> they say: "we're sure. We will have to send you a rabbit."
> you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."
>
> Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may
> have a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...
>
> R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
> *Help for Humans in Need*
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
> http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
>
> --A pessimist is never disappointed.

No, but thank you for asking, ROTFL!

> Are you writing this post from prison?
>
> "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
>> Here's the logic:
>> You have 30 days, period, in which to return a new Dell for a full refund
>> (perhaps except shipping costs).
>> You call Dell and say: "I see my computer being listed for $X.oo less
>> than what I paid. I would like the difference in cost refunded."
>> They say: "we can't authorize a refund for less than $50.oo"
>> You say: "Fine. I want to return my Dell and get my money back."
>> They say: "just a moment, please hold..." -- hurried whispered
>> conference with his/her supervisor.
>> They say: "alright, but we can only make this exception *once*. You
>> cannot call back later and ask for another refund if the price drops."
>> You say: "Just send the money." (Don't agree with them.)
>>
>> You can keep this up indefinitely during the 30 day period. Just don't
>> agree that you won't call back.
>>
>> Why can you do this? Because the cost of taking a computer BACK and
>> having to store it and resell it as a refurbished unit is a HUGE hit in
>> the ol' corporate pocketbook. It is FAR more economical to simply refund
>> you that small difference than to make an issue over it and lose the big
>> bucks.
>>
>> Hint:
>> you have a 4-year complete care warranty: protects against everything,
>> including getting run over by a car.
>> you have 1 day left on that warranty. Somehow, your laptop accidentally
>> gets left behind the rear wheel of your car as it backs out of the
>> driveway.
>> Oops! (you call tech support)... "Gee, I, uh, somehow ran over my
>> laptop... I think one of the kids was out there playing a game wirelessly
>> over the net or something and just left it there..."
>> they say: "You have 1 day left on your warranty..."
>> you say: "I DO??? WOW! Does that mean you can *replace* it?"
>> they say: "yes, but that model is no longer made. We'll have to give you
>> something newer, yet comparable..."
>> you say: "oh... well, I really liked my old turtle... are you SURE you
>> can't send me a turtle?"
>> they say: "we're sure. We will have to send you a rabbit."
>> you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."
>>
>> Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may
>> have a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...
>>
>> R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
>> *Help for Humans in Need*
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
>> http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
>>
>> --A pessimist is never disappointed.

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

I won't worry -- I very much doubt Dell would reward anyone who follows Mr.
Silk's stupid and dishonest suggestion anyway. Anyone foolish enough to try
it is likely to find themselves with a non-working laptop with a large tire
print as a souvenir. Mr. Silk illustrates the dishonesty of some people and
why manufacturers give people who try to make warranty claims a hard time.
Mr. Silk has spent some time in the slammer for fraud and is now speaking
while on parole.

> Are you writing this post from prison?
>
> "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
> > Here's the logic:
> > You have 30 days, period, in which to return a new Dell for a full
refund
> > (perhaps except shipping costs).
> > You call Dell and say: "I see my computer being listed for $X.oo less
> > than what I paid. I would like the difference in cost refunded."
> > They say: "we can't authorize a refund for less than $50.oo"
> > You say: "Fine. I want to return my Dell and get my money back."
> > They say: "just a moment, please hold..." -- hurried whispered
> > conference with his/her supervisor.
> > They say: "alright, but we can only make this exception *once*. You
> > cannot call back later and ask for another refund if the price drops."
> > You say: "Just send the money." (Don't agree with them.)
> >
> > You can keep this up indefinitely during the 30 day period. Just don't
> > agree that you won't call back.
> >
> > Why can you do this? Because the cost of taking a computer BACK and
> > having to store it and resell it as a refurbished unit is a HUGE hit in
> > the ol' corporate pocketbook. It is FAR more economical to simply
refund
> > you that small difference than to make an issue over it and lose the big
> > bucks.
> >
> > Hint:
> > you have a 4-year complete care warranty: protects against everything,
> > including getting run over by a car.
> > you have 1 day left on that warranty. Somehow, your laptop accidentally
> > gets left behind the rear wheel of your car as it backs out of the
> > driveway.
> > Oops! (you call tech support)... "Gee, I, uh, somehow ran over my
> > laptop... I think one of the kids was out there playing a game
wirelessly
> > over the net or something and just left it there..."
> > they say: "You have 1 day left on your warranty..."
> > you say: "I DO??? WOW! Does that mean you can *replace* it?"
> > they say: "yes, but that model is no longer made. We'll have to give
you
> > something newer, yet comparable..."
> > you say: "oh... well, I really liked my old turtle... are you SURE you
> > can't send me a turtle?"
> > they say: "we're sure. We will have to send you a rabbit."
> > you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."
> >
> > Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may
> > have a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...
> >
> > R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
> > *Help for Humans in Need*
> > http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
> > http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
> >
> > --A pessimist is never disappointed.

In article <41505952$1_3@newspeer2.tds.net>, dick_silk@anti-spam.net
(Dick Silk) says...

> You have 30 days, period, in which to return a new Dell for a full refund
> (perhaps except shipping costs).

Not any more. The window was reduced to 21 days last May.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

You will be soon!

> No, but thank you for asking, ROTFL!
>
> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Are you writing this post from prison?
>>
>> "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message

clint

Well, Dell's "CompleteCare" warranty covers accidental damage. I would
imagine it's very hard to prove that a can of Coke was poured into the
machine "by accident" instead of on purpose, or that the laptop was nudged
off the desktop on purpose. I would imagine if they kept track of such
things, and you did it repeatedly 2 days before your warranty was up, you
might have an issue. But considering our company currently has 5 different
account numbers with Dell (for a 60 employee company) and we're TRYING to
keep the same account number and rep going, I doubt that they're very good
at tracking any of that information. So the odds of getting caught doing it
would be quite small.

Clint

"Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> > > Oops! (you call tech support)... "Gee, I, uh, somehow ran over my
> > > laptop... I think one of the kids was out there playing a game
> wirelessly
> > > over the net or something and just left it there..."
> > > they say: "You have 1 day left on your warranty..."
> > > you say: "I DO??? WOW! Does that mean you can *replace* it?"
> > > they say: "yes, but that model is no longer made. We'll have to give
> you
> > > something newer, yet comparable..."
> > > you say: "oh... well, I really liked my old turtle... are you SURE
you
> > > can't send me a turtle?"
> > > they say: "we're sure. We will have to send you a rabbit."
> > > you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."
> > >
> > > Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may
> > > have a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...

This is why newspaper racks experience a roughly 25% loss of monies due to
theft, and why the rest of us are paying for it.

Stew

"Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
> Here's the logic:
> You have 30 days, period, in which to return a new Dell for a full refund
> (perhaps except shipping costs).
> You call Dell and say: "I see my computer being listed for $X.oo less
> than what I paid. I would like the difference in cost refunded."
> They say: "we can't authorize a refund for less than $50.oo"
> You say: "Fine. I want to return my Dell and get my money back."
> They say: "just a moment, please hold..." -- hurried whispered
> conference with his/her supervisor.
> They say: "alright, but we can only make this exception *once*. You
> cannot call back later and ask for another refund if the price drops."
> You say: "Just send the money." (Don't agree with them.)
>
> You can keep this up indefinitely during the 30 day period. Just don't
> agree that you won't call back.
>
> Why can you do this? Because the cost of taking a computer BACK and
> having to store it and resell it as a refurbished unit is a HUGE hit in
> the ol' corporate pocketbook. It is FAR more economical to simply refund
> you that small difference than to make an issue over it and lose the big
> bucks.
>
> Hint:
> you have a 4-year complete care warranty: protects against everything,
> including getting run over by a car.
> you have 1 day left on that warranty. Somehow, your laptop accidentally
> gets left behind the rear wheel of your car as it backs out of the
> driveway.
> Oops! (you call tech support)... "Gee, I, uh, somehow ran over my
> laptop... I think one of the kids was out there playing a game wirelessly
> over the net or something and just left it there..."
> they say: "You have 1 day left on your warranty..."
> you say: "I DO??? WOW! Does that mean you can *replace* it?"
> they say: "yes, but that model is no longer made. We'll have to give you
> something newer, yet comparable..."
> you say: "oh... well, I really liked my old turtle... are you SURE you
> can't send me a turtle?"
> they say: "we're sure. We will have to send you a rabbit."
> you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."
>
> Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may
> have a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...
>
> R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
> *Help for Humans in Need*
> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
> http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
>
> --A pessimist is never disappointed.
>

> "Paul" <pberg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Does anyone have experiences with Dell regarding post-purchase price
>> changes. For example, if you have already purchased a computer from
>> them recently but have seen the price decrease further at their
>> website (for the same item), can you get money back for the difference
>> in price? Thanks.

Business is business.

> [...]
>> you say: "oh. Well, ok, if that's the way it has to be..."
>>
>> Of course, they MAY still have a turtle in stock somewhere, and it may
>> have a bad toe... ya throws the dice, ya pays the price...
>>
>> R.C. Silk -- The Computer Tutor
>> *Help for Humans in Need*
>> http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk/
>> http://dicksilk.chatango.com/ (for live chat)
>>
>> --A pessimist is never disappointed.
>>

>> "Paul" <pberg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Does anyone have experiences with Dell regarding post-purchase price
>>> changes. For example, if you have already purchased a computer from
>>> them recently but have seen the price decrease further at their
>>> website (for the same item), can you get money back for the difference
>>> in price? Thanks.

> "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net> slandered and libeled in message
>> Mr. Silk has spent some time in the slammer for fraud and is now

Speak for yourself, *bitch.* Now get down off my bunk before I have yo' ass
fo' lunch! :)

>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Are you writing this post from prison?
>> >
>> > "Dick Silk" <dick_silk@anti-spam.net> wrote in message
>> refund

> don't

> in
>> refund
> big

> everything,
> accidentally
>> wirelessly
>> you
> you

Not counting on it...

> Business is business.

Yeah. Just ask Martha Stewart.

Stew

mercury

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001

Thats why anyone who hires a ripoff artist like you, for computer service,
deserves to be screwed. Would you hire a thief to handle your business?

> Thats why anyone who hires a ripoff artist like you, for computer service,
> deserves to be screwed. Would you hire a thief to handle your business?

<snip>

I'm glad you followed the link as well. I found it odd that someone
claiming to be professional would publicly advocate stealing.

"Business is business".

Stew

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 00:46:28 -0400, "Mercury" <Mercury@matchmail.net>
wrote:

>Thats why anyone who hires a ripoff artist like you, for computer service,
>deserves to be screwed. Would you hire a thief to handle your business?

Truth is stranger than fact.

There's a lot of truth in what actually happens:

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/001706.html

--
Whiskey for my men,and cheese for my kitties.

> Calling me a "ripoff artist", on the other hand, is libelous slander on
your
> part, and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Slander is spoken ... when its in print, its called libel. It cant be both
when only one medium is used.

duh ....

TRENDING THREADS