Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] Display driver AMD has stopped responding and has recovered

Last response: in Windows 7
November 16, 2012 1:00:51 PM

my screen goes black ever once in a while when i'm playing games and it saids disk driver display has stopped responding and has recovered what do i do or where do i go to check this problem
a b \ Driver
a b À AMD
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 1:02:53 PM

update the amd display driver.
m
l
November 20, 2013 6:47:20 PM

I am using HP pavilion g6 ...i have the same problem.My screen goes black and i get the message that AMD display driver has stopped working and recovered successfully.....This happens when I am using internet.....I t has a Radeaon 2GB graphics card
m
l
Related resources
December 13, 2013 6:06:11 PM

rgd1101 said:
update the amd display driver.

I have windows 8.1 with R9 270x video card, and I get the same problem every time I have youtube or games or any video thats HD playing. I updated to 13.11, doesn't work. Downgrading the driver in Drive manager still causes the crashes but it doesn't show the sign anymore. I might just go back to windows 7. unless windows 7 also has this problem...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2013 6:14:33 PM

Have a look at your installed programs list.

How many graphics drivers show up there? If there are two, Windows may have installed an extra one, uninstall the oldest version.

How many Display adapters appear in Device Manager? Again if there are more than one and you are only using one graphics card, uninstall the older drivers.

Any help?
m
l
December 13, 2013 6:27:31 PM

himnextdoor said:
Have a look at your installed programs list.

How many graphics drivers show up there? If there are two, Windows may have installed an extra one, uninstall the oldest version.

How many Display adapters appear in Device Manager? Again if there are more than one and you are only using one graphics card, uninstall the older drivers.

Any help?

display adapter only shows one and in my installed programs list it just shows AMD Catalyst Install Manager. i dont see anything else that could be a display driver. btw thanks for the quick response
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2013 6:45:12 PM

I would suggest that you uninstall Chrome or Firefox, if you are using them and revert to Internet Explorer for a while to see if the problem persists.

The accelerators for these two browsers have been known to cause video issues of many kinds.

If the problem persists, then it would be easy to reinstall your browser of choice.
m
l
December 13, 2013 10:51:18 PM

himnextdoor said:
I would suggest that you uninstall Chrome or Firefox, if you are using them and revert to Internet Explorer for a while to see if the problem persists.

The accelerators for these two browsers have been known to cause video issues of many kinds.

If the problem persists, then it would be easy to reinstall your browser of choice.

would the browsers cause the problem even if Im watching videos on VLC or playing Battlefield4 ? because it also happens during those times
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 13, 2013 11:12:48 PM

Possibly. These browsers can install their own versions of codecs that can conflict with other codecs installed on the system.

As I say, reinstalling the browser is easy so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to check out this line of enquiry.
m
l
December 14, 2013 10:08:59 AM

himnextdoor said:
Possibly. These browsers can install they own versions of codecs that can conflict with other codecs installed on the system.

As I say, reinstalling the browser is easy so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to check out this line of enquiry.

okay will try. is there anyway i can attach pictures? I took screenshots of my installed programs and drivers
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 14, 2013 11:02:15 AM

Well, I created an account with Imageshack and use that to upload screenshots.

When you upload an image, you will get a 'url', the third item in the 'links' list'

You can paste the link into your post and the image will show up.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2013 6:36:22 AM

Now then, you didn't mention you had missing drivers.

I think those 'Unknown devices' are a LAN Adapter or Modem.

Before we go any further, you should download and install those drivers from you computer manufacturer's website.

If you need help with that, let me know the make and model of your machine.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2013 6:41:31 AM

Also, to all on this thread, I would advise you to download and install the 'K-Lite Codec Pack'. This will give you a full complement of efficient and reliable codecs.

And don't worry, VLC won't mind.
m
l
December 15, 2013 9:19:34 PM

himnextdoor said:
Now then, you didn't mention you had missing drivers.

I think those 'Unknown devices' are a LAN Adapter or Modem.

Before we go any further, you should download and install those drivers from you computer manufacturer's website.

If you need help with that, let me know the make and model of your machine.

SOO, looks like uninstalling chrome worked. I haven't had that problem again, will there be a way to get chrome working though? also I got one of the unknown drivers installed, so there is one still unknown. I got a B85-G41 PC Mate MOBO and i7-4770k processor and 16 gb ram radeon r9 270x video card. and its windows 8.1, do you need any more info?

I've been getting another problem with BF4, Ill leave a link below to the picture, but I have turned off Ambient Occlusion in the game like it says in another solved forum, but still no luck.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/avgdxp2vr1olf5w/bf4%20issue.p...

m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2013 12:54:04 PM

If you go to

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85-G41-PC-Mate.html#/?di... 64

you will find a list of drivers when you select your operating system from the drop-down list.

Download and install them all.

Does that take care of the missing drivers?

Now that Chrome is gone, it might be worth uninstalling and then re-installing your graphics adapter.

I don't really like Chrome, it is too intrusive, and I tend to have no Google products installed either so I can't really help with Chrome.

It may be more useful to you if you start a new thread for that issue in order to engage the right man for the job.

However, I would advise you to go to

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.h...

click on the 'Download K-Lite Codec Pack' and choose a FULL version from the list of mirrors.

And then install it. This will provide you with a full complement of codecs which is always good.

Are you using an SSD drive?

If so, turning off Virtual Memory will improve the lifespan of your drive. And don't use Defrag on it. That will shorten its life and won't work anyway since allocation of space is controlled by the SSD itself.

As far as the error message is concerned, if Chrome caused the problem here then re-installing the drivers might have fixed it.

I am not very familiar with Windows 8 but I understand that some games do cause issues under that O/S. You should check out the Windows 8 forum to see if anyone else is having a problem with that game if the problem persist on your system after installing all the drivers and codecs as suggested above.

Perhaps there is a Windows update that addresses such an incompatibility issue.

Have a look in 'Optional updates' to see if there are any updates that pertain to your hardware.

Does any of this help?
m
l
December 16, 2013 10:06:49 PM

himnextdoor said:
If you go to

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/B85-G41-PC-Mate.html#/?di... 64

you will find a list of drivers when you select your operating system from the drop-down list.

Download and install them all.

Does that take care of the missing drivers?

Now that Chrome is gone, it might be worth uninstalling and then re-installing your graphics adapter.

I don't really like Chrome, it is too intrusive, and I tend to have no Google products installed either so I can't really help with Chrome.

It may be more useful to you if you start a new thread for that issue in order to engage the right man for the job.

However, I would advise you to go to

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.h...

click on the 'Download K-Lite Codec Pack' and choose a FULL version from the list of mirrors.

And then install it. This will provide you with a full complement of codecs which is always good.

Are you using an SSD drive?

If so, turning off Virtual Memory will improve the lifespan of your drive. And don't use Defrag on it. That will shorten its life and won't work anyway since allocation of space is controlled by the SSD itself.

As far as the error message is concerned, if Chrome caused the problem here then re-installing the drivers might have fixed it.

I am not very familiar with Windows 8 but I understand that some games do cause issues under that O/S. You should check out the Windows 8 forum to see if anyone else is having a problem with that game if the problem persist on your system after installing all the drivers and codecs as suggested above.

Perhaps there is a Windows update that addresses such an incompatibility issue.

Have a look in 'Optional updates' to see if there are any updates that pertain to your hardware.

Does any of this help?

everything's working after deleting and re-installing all drivers from the website, even chrome is back. thanks for all your help! saved me from going back to windows 7
m
l
!