5000 series

tomas

Distinguished
May 7, 2004

"Ted" <edward@clarkeedward.rubbishwanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:<ciqv6p$n5f$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> 5wv254. What speed processor can I upgrade my 700 MHz Anthon with?
> Thanks in advance
> Ted

If the 5000 series is like the 5000US, then reportedly 1.2G Athlon is
possible according to here:

ftp://ftp.fic.com.tw/motherboard/cpu_table/socketa/az31.pdf

Or 1.1G Athlon according to here:

http://www.softwareandstuff.com/mb_cmpqsk7.html

Does your motherboard look like the one pictured?

I briefly looked at upgrading my 5000US to a 1.1G Athlon but decided
it was not cost-effective. Might upgrade to a 7,200rpm 8MB HDD
though. Once I figure out how to install the OS on the new HDD since
I don't have the installation disc just the recovery disc.

hh

Your PC came with a 700 MHz Duron, not an Athlon. It can take up to at least
a 950MHz Athlon, which is what the top model in the 5WV2 series has.
HH

"Ted" <edward@clarkeedward.rubbishwanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> 5wv254. What speed processor can I upgrade my 700 MHz Anthon with?
> Thanks in advance
> Ted

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Yes HH.. its a 700MHz Duran of course. I don't think the very slight
improvement with a 950MHz would be worth the effort!
Bur thanks anyway.
Ted

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Your PC came with a 700 MHz Duron, not an Athlon. It can take up to at
least
> a 950MHz Athlon, which is what the top model in the 5WV2 series has.
> HH
>
> "Ted" <edward@clarkeedward.rubbishwanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> > 5wv254. What speed processor can I upgrade my 700 MHz Anthon with?
> > Thanks in advance
> > Ted

hh

Hmmm. Dunno. To a 950 Duron, I agree. A 950 Athlon would be noticeably
faster, though. Much larger L1 and L2 cache.
HH