8400 trials and tribulations

A few weeks ago I posted my experiences with two new 8400s. I finally
discovered the cause! It was a Hitachi SATA hard drive and or SATA cable
that was causing the problem. I had added this drive and cable as the boot
drive and it was the only change to the system that I had made. I had run
diags on the Hitachi and it passed all of the tests. I even updated the
firmware on the drive. Didn't help.

I replaced the Hitachi hard drive/cable with a new Seagate ST3160027AS and
cable to go with the Seagate ST3160823AS that shipped with the system. BTW,
the new Seagate ST3160027AS features Native Command Queuing which the Dell
Seagate ST3160823AS does not.

Four days and no BSODs. Knock on wood....

These are a few of the BSODs I've experienced with both 8400s. None have
repeated. I did not log all of the BSODs so the list is not complete.

0x0000001a MEMORY MANAGEMENT

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

0x0000004e: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

0x000000C2: BAD_POOL_CALLER

0x0000008e: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

0x0000000a IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x0000007a KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR 9/11

0x0000000a: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 9/11

0x0000000a: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 9/11

0x0000004e: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT 9/14

0x0000008e: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 9/16

System:

Dell Dimension 8400

P4 3.0 (model 3 stepping 4 revision E)

BIOS A01

X800 SE video

1 GB DDR2 (533)

7/28/04Received system and immediately deleted partitions and installed XP
with SP2 slipstreamed

Installed latest drivers (Dell chipset, ATI 4.8 video, Dell audio, Dell
NIC).

Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.

In first week I experienced several BSODs - usually a day or two apart. Didn't
log the first few. Tried ATI 4.9 beta. Still experienced BSODs. Only
occurred when using Internet Explorer.

Downloaded full SP2 and made a new XP CD slipstreamed with SP2.

Deleted partition and reinstalled XP with SP2.

Installed latest drivers (Dell chipset, ATI 4.8 video, Dell audio, Dell
NIC).

Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.

Still experienced BSODs- always a day or two apart. Only occurred when using
Internet Explorer.

Ran Dell diags. Everything OK.

8/17/04. Called for system exchange while still within 21 day satisfaction
guarantee.

8/24/04. Received replacement system. Immediately deleted partition and
installed XP with SP2 slipstreamed. Installed only Dell drivers from
resource CD including Dell supplied video driver.

Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.

8/27/04. Still experienced BSODs- this time after about three days of
perfection. Only occurred when using Internet Explorer. Microsoft Word (XP)
crashes often.

Deleted partition and reinstalled XP with SP1.

Installed only Dell drivers from resource CD including Dell supplied video
driver.

Installed SP2 via Windows update.

Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.

9/1/04.Experienced first BSOD. Still problems.

9/2/04. Deleted partition and reinstalled XP with SP1. Did not install
SP2!

Installed only Dell drivers from resource CD plus ATI 4.8 video driver.

Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2..

9/3/04. So far no problems. Fingers crossed.

9/11/04. Two different BSODs.

9/14 and 9/16. Two different BSODs.

Scratch that. BSOD tonight. Bad_pool_caller again.

WSZsr wrote:
> [...]
>> from resource CD including Dell supplied video driver.
>>
>> Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.
>>

>> 8/27/04. Still experienced BSODs- this time after about three days of
>> perfection. Only occurred when using Internet Explorer. Microsoft
>> Word (XP) crashes often.
>>
>> Deleted partition and reinstalled XP with SP1.
>>
>> Installed only Dell drivers from resource CD including Dell supplied
>> video driver.
>>
>> Installed SP2 via Windows update.
>>
>> Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.
>>
>> 9/1/04.Experienced first BSOD. Still problems.
>>

>> 9/2/04. Deleted partition and reinstalled XP with SP1. Did not
>> install SP2!
>>
>> Installed only Dell drivers from resource CD plus ATI 4.8 video
>> driver. Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2..
>>

>> 9/3/04. So far no problems. Fingers crossed.

The immediate clue is that you immediately installed a stock XP on both
machines. What happens if you run an extended test with the Dell OEM
XP?

WSZsr wrote:
> [...]
>> from resource CD including Dell supplied video driver.
>>
>> Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.
>>

>> 8/27/04. Still experienced BSODs- this time after about three days of
>> perfection. Only occurred when using Internet Explorer. Microsoft
>> Word (XP) crashes often.
>>
>> Deleted partition and reinstalled XP with SP1.
>>
>> Installed only Dell drivers from resource CD including Dell supplied
>> video driver.
>>
>> Installed SP2 via Windows update.
>>
>> Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2.
>>
>> 9/1/04.Experienced first BSOD. Still problems.
>>

>> 9/2/04. Deleted partition and reinstalled XP with SP1. Did not
>> install SP2!
>>
>> Installed only Dell drivers from resource CD plus ATI 4.8 video
>> driver. Installed Office XP with SP3 and ETrust EZ Antivirus 6.2..
>>

>> 9/3/04. So far no problems. Fingers crossed.

Ok, my initial reply was vague. Go to Intel, download the chipset
identification utility, identify your chipset, download the latest
chipset driver for your identified chipset, install same. The Dell XP
install possibly has the appropriate chipset driver, and your stock
install does not contain it.

I tried the latest Intel chipset software from the Intel website. Same
result.

WSZsr wrote:
> I tried the latest Intel chipset software from the Intel website. Same
> result.

>> WSZsr wrote:
>>> Scratch that. BSOD tonight. Bad_pool_caller again.
>>>
>>> "WSZsr" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> Ok, my initial reply was vague. Go to Intel, download the chipset
>> identification utility, identify your chipset, download the latest
>> chipset driver for your identified chipset, install same. The Dell
>> XP install possibly has the appropriate chipset driver, and your
>> stock install does not contain it.

If using Intel Application Accelerator, remove it. Again, I think that
you should give the Dell XP install a trial.

I did that on 8/27 and 9/2 as explained in my log.

WSZsr wrote:
> I did that on 8/27 and 9/2 as explained in my log.

>> WSZsr wrote:
>>> I tried the latest Intel chipset software from the Intel website.
>>> Same result.
>>>
>>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message

>> If using Intel Application Accelerator, remove it. Again, I think
>> that you should give the Dell XP install a trial.

Ok, I thought that when you reformatted, partitioned, and installed XP,
the OS was an install not from Dell. Anyway, this site has information
about these stop errors. You will need the exact text of the error
message. Maybe you can find a common thread for the source of the
errors.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmd_stp_swhw.asp

> WSZsr wrote:
>> I did that on 8/27 and 9/2 as explained in my log.

<snip>

WSZsr,

I smell either a flaky system board or perhaps problematic Samsung DDR2
DIMM(s). You've worked this problem over from about every angle possible
otherwise.

My experience with these 925/LGA775 boards as well as these DDR2 DIMMs has
not been generally good.

The Dim8400 has an ambitious set of new features packed into a new platform
and I suspect these will be worked out with HW mods or BIOS flashes in the
future, but in the meantime you need a solution.

Does your 8400 use the 400mhz or 533mhz DDR?

I know your diags are passing, but I instinctively believe you're looking at
a hardware issue.

Good luck, and I hope to read soon of a resolution for your situation.

Stew

stew1960ATbellsouthDOTnet

Stew,

I have the 533mhz DDR2. Both systems exhibited the same problem.

I have a sneaky suspicion that my defrag program, Perfect Disk is causing
the problem. The system ran great for four days this last time around.
Then I installed Perfect Disk (latest version) and defragged the boot drive
including the swap file. Then the BSODs started again. The BSOD never
refers to a driver. At least one of them points to a possible corrupted swap
file.

I started fresh last night again without Perfect Disk. We will see....

Thanks for the input.

WSZsr

> Stew,
>
> I have the 533mhz DDR2. Both systems exhibited the same problem.
>
> I have a sneaky suspicion that my defrag program, Perfect Disk is causing
> the problem. The system ran great for four days this last time around.
> Then I installed Perfect Disk (latest version) and defragged the boot
> drive including the swap file. Then the BSODs started again. The BSOD
> never refers to a driver. At least one of them points to a possible
> corrupted swap file.
>
> I started fresh last night again without Perfect Disk. We will see....
>
> Thanks for the input.
>
> WSZsr

I knew this was your second time around. Do post back with your results.

Thanks,

Stew

WSZsr wrote:
> Stew,
>
> I have the 533mhz DDR2. Both systems exhibited the same problem.
>
> I have a sneaky suspicion that my defrag program, Perfect Disk is
> causing the problem. The system ran great for four days this last
> time around. Then I installed Perfect Disk (latest version) and
> defragged the boot drive including the swap file. Then the BSODs
> started again. The BSOD never refers to a driver. At least one of
> them points to a possible corrupted swap file.
>
> I started fresh last night again without Perfect Disk. We will
> see....
> Thanks for the input.
>
> WSZsr
>
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>> <snip>
>>

>> WSZsr,
>>
>> I smell either a flaky system board or perhaps problematic Samsung
>> DDR2 DIMM(s). You've worked this problem over from about every
>> angle possible otherwise.
>>
>> My experience with these 925/LGA775 boards as well as these DDR2
>> DIMMs has not been generally good.
>>
>> The Dim8400 has an ambitious set of new features packed into a new
>> platform and I suspect these will be worked out with HW mods or BIOS
>> flashes in the future, but in the meantime you need a solution.
>>
>> Does your 8400 use the 400mhz or 533mhz DDR?
>>
>> I know your diags are passing, but I instinctively believe you're
>> looking at a hardware issue.
>>
>> Good luck, and I hope to read soon of a resolution for your
>> situation. Stew
>>
>> stew1960ATbellsouthDOTnet

Interesting about Perfect Disk. I've used it for boot optimization
(both v 5 and v 6) and found that it really didn't do a very good job on
my computers. The basic online defrag is pretty good, but Windows
seems to do a better job for the boot optimization.