Help, please. Explorer.exe is causing huge problems.

At least twice per day Explorer.exe hogs the CPU to 99%.

I have no idea why. I can only stop it by rebooting.

It has started doing so only the last two weeks or so.

I use Windows XP Pro, Norton Security, Stopzilla, Counterspy, Microsoft
anti spyware, Norton Ghost, Retrospect Express for my backup drive.

I have a Pentium 4 2.25 Ghz, 1.5 Gb memory, Nvidia graphic card.

I have searched Microsoft Knowledge Base as well as Google groups and
have found no answers.

I could really use some help on this, please.

Thanks,
Richard
4 answers Last reply
More about help please explorer causing huge problems

    arjay wrote:

    > At least twice per day Explorer.exe hogs the CPU to 99%.
    >
    > I have no idea why. I can only stop it by rebooting.
    >
    > It has started doing so only the last two weeks or so.
    >
    > I use Windows XP Pro, Norton Security, Stopzilla, Counterspy, Microsoft
    > anti spyware, Norton Ghost, Retrospect Express for my backup drive.
    >
    > I have a Pentium 4 2.25 Ghz, 1.5 Gb memory, Nvidia graphic card.
    >
    > I have searched Microsoft Knowledge Base as well as Google groups and
    > have found no answers.
    >
    > I could really use some help on this, please.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Richard

    Are you doing all malware scans in safe mode?

    THE PARASITE FIGHT
    Finding, Removing & Protecting Yourself From Scumware
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm

    Richard Harper’s Guide to Cleaning Pests
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Here is something that may help.. but you have to spend some time
    investigating.

    Download the extended task manager, http://www.warecase.com/products.asp
    run it and click on the EXPLORER. EXE and look at the loaded modules (dll's)
    one by one.. see if you see anything suspicious loading with EXPLORER.

    Thats how I found out some of the problems I had

    Kenny. www.computerboom.net

    "kenny" wrote:

    > Here is something that may help.. but you have to spend some time
    > investigating.
    >
    > Download the extended task manager, http://www.warecase.com/products.asp
    > run it and click on the EXPLORER. EXE and look at the loaded modules (dll's)
    > one by one.. see if you see anything suspicious loading with EXPLORER.
    >
    > Thats how I found out some of the problems I had
    >
    > Kenny. www.computerboom.net
    >

    > "arjay" <vidman99-gg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > At least twice per day Explorer.exe hogs the CPU to 99%.
    > >
    > > I have no idea why. I can only stop it by rebooting.
    > >
    > > It has started doing so only the last two weeks or so.
    > >
    > > I use Windows XP Pro, Norton Security, Stopzilla, Counterspy, Microsoft
    > > anti spyware, Norton Ghost, Retrospect Express for my backup drive.
    > >
    > > I have a Pentium 4 2.25 Ghz, 1.5 Gb memory, Nvidia graphic card.
    > >
    > > I have searched Microsoft Knowledge Base as well as Google groups and
    > > have found no answers.
    > >
    > > I could really use some help on this, please.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Richard

    I Have had the same problem for six months and have run Norton, MS antispam
    and every know anti-spyware and AV program and none have helped.

    Someone please help. I now run by closing Windows Esplorer a startup and
    have to run everything from task manager.

    Dell 2400 - Windows XP home with all upgrades.

    "kenny" wrote:

    > Here is something that may help.. but you have to spend some time
    > investigating.
    >
    > Download the extended task manager, http://www.warecase.com/products.asp
    > run it and click on the EXPLORER. EXE and look at the loaded modules (dll's)
    > one by one.. see if you see anything suspicious loading with EXPLORER.
    >
    > Thats how I found out some of the problems I had
    >
    > Kenny. www.computerboom.net
    >

    > "arjay" <vidman99-gg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > At least twice per day Explorer.exe hogs the CPU to 99%.
    > >
    > > I have no idea why. I can only stop it by rebooting.
    > >
    > > It has started doing so only the last two weeks or so.
    > >
    > > I use Windows XP Pro, Norton Security, Stopzilla, Counterspy, Microsoft
    > > anti spyware, Norton Ghost, Retrospect Express for my backup drive.
    > >
    > > I have a Pentium 4 2.25 Ghz, 1.5 Gb memory, Nvidia graphic card.
    > >
    > > I have searched Microsoft Knowledge Base as well as Google groups and
    > > have found no answers.
    > >
    > > I could really use some help on this, please.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Richard

Explorer Microsoft Windows XP