Recycle Bin is empty but shows 28 files

My recycle bin appears to be empty if I open it. However, on the desktop it
shows papers in it like it has files, and if I right click and tell it to
delete, it asks if I want to delete the 28 files in the recycle bin. If I
click yes, it makes the papers getting thrown out sound, but the icon does
not change to empty and if I right click and delete again, there are still 28
files. What's going on?
2 answers Last reply
More about recycle empty shows files

    patlefev wrote:

    > My recycle bin appears to be empty if I open it. However, on the desktop it
    > shows papers in it like it has files, and if I right click and tell it to
    > delete, it asks if I want to delete the 28 files in the recycle bin. If I
    > click yes, it makes the papers getting thrown out sound, but the icon does
    > not change to empty and if I right click and delete again, there are still 28
    > files. What's going on?

    Go to Kelly's site at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
    Click on "R" and scroll to Recycle Bin - Deleting Problems for a variety
    of troubleshooting tips.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I'm not entirely sure about this, but one thing I would try is after
    emptying the Recycle Bin right click on the Desktop and click Refresh. I
    don't know if this is the problem, but at least you will know that the
    correct icon is being shown. Good luck!
    --
    Nathan Sokalski
    njsokalski@hotmail.com

    "patlefev" <patlefev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My recycle bin appears to be empty if I open it. However, on the desktop
    > it
    > shows papers in it like it has files, and if I right click and tell it to
    > delete, it asks if I want to delete the 28 files in the recycle bin. If I
    > click yes, it makes the papers getting thrown out sound, but the icon does
    > not change to empty and if I right click and delete again, there are still
    > 28
    > files. What's going on?

Desktops Microsoft Windows XP