Xircom SpringPort Wireless Ethernet for Handspring Visor

a b F Wireless
November 21, 2004 11:45:54 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a 8MB Handspring Visor Deluxe. I've been seeing the Xircom
SpringPort Wireless Ethernet Springboard module which is supposed to
let you connect to a wireless network with 802.11b. I was wondering
if anyone had any experience with this product. If so, how does it
work? I have a wired Linksys Cable/DSL router and would need to add a
wireless access point. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 28, 2004 12:18:08 AM

In article news:64f03819.0411212045.582f86c8@posting.google.com, shaqattack1992-newsgroups@yahoo.com (ChadDiesel) wrote:
>anyone had any experience with this product. If so, how does it
>work?
It works GREAT! The only thing that worries me is the inaccessible recargable battery but it has held up fine for years. Also, it doesn't do 64-bit WEP.
--
My plan to save the world:
more Jesus, less government!

i just bought one, it rocks. i have the visor deluxe. it works best on
un protected networks but should work on encrypted networks also.its
worked on every AP i found. i use at friend's houses all the time. the
olny thing i dont like about it is it is bulky and i cant use my
leather case with it. it has extra memory you can use and comes with
software. i spent about $40 on mine at amazon.com. i recomend it. i
want a program to help me find hotspots, i havent been able to find one.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 10, 2004 3:39:32 PM

In article <1102629125.656236.75630@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
countfabulo@gmail.com wrote:
> i want a program to help me find hotspots, i havent been able to find one.

Warwalking, in other words. Well, you can't do it with normal socket
programming. You'll need to do some deep OS hacking to get at that kind
of info. Possibly asking Intel or Xircom if they'd release some specs
or driver hooks would help.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

Microsoft Windows - The joke that kills.
December 12, 2004 4:52:10 AM

Ray Ingles wrote:
> In article <1102629125.656236.75630@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> countfabulo@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>i want a program to help me find hotspots, i havent been able to find one.
>

> Warwalking, in other words. Well, you can't do it with normal socket
> programming. You'll need to do some deep OS hacking to get at that kind
> of info. Possibly asking Intel or Xircom if they'd release some specs
> or driver hooks would help.

Or just get a $30 dedicated access point locator from Circuit City/Best
Buy/CompUSA/etc. All it does is light up when it picks up signals, but
that's a start.

ROC
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 12, 2004 8:18:34 PM

ROC <NoSpam@for.me> wrote:

> Or just get a $30 dedicated access point locator from Circuit
> City/Best Buy/CompUSA/etc. All it does is light up when it picks up
> signals, but that's a start.

The problem is that, judging from all reviews of such devices, the signals
don't have to be WiFi at all -- they react to things like wireless phones,
garage doors openers and microwave ovens, while often failing to find access
points unless there's traffic exactly at the moment of the scan.

Regards,
--
*Art
Anonymous

I'm having difficulty getting my Xircom (Springport) adapter to talk to
my linksys router. I had about given up thinking that there may be
insurmountable differences between the different products. After
reading your posts i'm hopeful. So... How can i get my Xircom
springport wireless ethernet card to talk to my linksys router?
I can only give some configuration information off the top of my head.
I know that i have configured my router to use WEP 128 bit encryption
with a shared (not open) key.
I set my Xircom adapter up to use 128 bit encryption and have tried
using a dedicated ip address and have it dynamic for the connection
configuration.
PLEASE HELP! If someone can help be get my connection up, please
respond. I'll be happy to provide more specific information later if
someone can help.
Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 12:35:25 PM

Just writing this for anyone else that may run across problems. (I
haven't seen any activity on these forums in so long i've given up hope
that someone else will help me with my problem.)

On the bright side, i finally figured out what my problem was. It has
nothing to do with upgrading the router firmware (a linksys wireless
router - WRT54G) or the Xircom Springport Wireless Ethernet
(SWE1130-NA) adapter.

It was simply a problem with my setting the router configuration
incorrectly. I found that i cannot get a connection if the setting for
"Authentication" (in the Wireless - Advanced Wireless Settings page) is
set to "Shared". If i reset Authentication to "Auto", then i can
connect and browse just fine. If i set the router Authentication back
to Shared, then i get a "Serial 0x0302" error and no connection.

I hope this helps anyone else whose having a problem out there.

If this specific setting doesn't get you connected, try reading over
your documentation for your router. Pay close attention to statements
made about "older" or "802.11b". Perhaps that may get you going. Best
wishes and Good luck.
!