Intel dual core desktop chip to arrive 2005

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=12866" target="_new">Click to read</A>

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
sexy...kinda...

I dont like the fact that it seems cpus are gonna get sooooooooooo much hotter...cooling 1 core is enough!

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
Well, they have to do something, the prescott is not a real answer to the A64(lets be serious, it aint !)

Bad thing for intel is AMD is dooing this also, and everyone knows AMD scales much bether(also bether temps) then Good old Intel.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
It seems to be the future for CPUs. IBM's Blue Gene /L machine is based on 700MHz dual core processors that use 1.5W power per core. Somewhat easier to cool than the 100W per core Intel and AMD are heading for.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It seems to be the future for CPUs. IBM's Blue Gene /L machine is based on 700MHz dual core processors that use 1.5W power per core

This a very small core 1 flop per cycle far from 8.6 from I2.The 1.5 watt figure are give at best voltage/clock speed figue.2 it dont take in account L2 L3 and Systemes logic.This systemes is not fast in every way as normal MPU.

Somewhat easier to cool than the 100W per core Intel and AMD are heading for

Tanglewood will be a lot smaller that Mackinley core about 1/2 or less.Built on 8 to 16 core per chip.

I dont like french test

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
the prescott is not a real answer to the A64(lets be serious, it aint !)
Prove it. I've seen no reviews of Scotty, neither have you. On the contrary, I'd say that the A64 is AMD's response to the P4C.

Damn Rambus.

Coop

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
the pipeline is made longer of the Prescott(lower performence but also lower temps).

SSE3 is the only thing that will be bether, so this is way Elvis Prescott is not real competion for the A64.
On 90 nano they still generato to much heat !
AMD on 90 nano will slam Intel richt in the face ! 2400MHz will be cooled with no airflower(passif) !
The only Chip that is great from intel is the Pentium M !
But not for long, Athlon64 when on 90 nano will also bether then the Pentium M !

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Nice rig you have there Spitfire and I would like to say user name :) My favourite fighter aircraft my second choice is the PBY Flying boat that picks downed pilots out of the channel HEY you cant win them all.

Listen that PC2700 Ram you have is ok I had that but I went to two Kingston 512 sticks @ PC3200 that will run up to 400MHz that realy made my system fly but I am using a AMD 2800+ CPU and a ASUS A7V8X-X that supports AGP 8X and I wanted RAM that could keep up to the AGP BUSS and CPU.
If your ABIT NF7 is able to use the PC3200 I highly recommend it.
Nice webpage too. I looked at your Benchmarks for the 2001 SE and I can see you almost achieve the 100 FPS for the low detail tests but your scores for the high detail are down. Since you are running a Radeon 9800 @128 MB 2/4 AGP the reason your FPS are a little down could be the RAM at PC2700 if you went to the PC3200 Memory I can see your FPS go over 100 FPS for low detail and the High detail should come up into the 70 FPS range using the current CPU you have.

»§øЫÑighthåwk™ Don't get mad at the player get mad at the game. Hackers drool and Skill's rule.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Actually, Coop, the whole core has been physically rearranged. Pre-fetch branch predictions and Integer Multiply latency will both be improved; plus, Prescott has a more efficient implementation of HT. And on top of that, it has twice as much cache - so no, SSE3 cannot be the only thing in Prescott that will be better.
On 90 nano they still generato to much heat !
The problem is exactly leakage associated to moving to 90nm, so you can't really say "they <i>still</i> generate too much heat", 'cause that wouldn't really be right...
AMD on 90 nano will slam Intel richt in the face ! 2400MHz will be cooled with no airflower(passif) !
AMD's 90nm process is still a bit away, don't you think? It's always nice to dream, though... Intel could also release a DDR2-533, 1066Mhz FSB motherboard to pair with Prescott, and enable Yamhill, if there is such a beast... :smile: But I think it really is safer to wait and see.
The only Chip that is great from intel is the Pentium M !
You're right there. Pentium M is impressive tech.
But not for long, Athlon64 when on 90 nano will also bether then the Pentium M !
I don't see AMD releasing 90nm tech so soon... but again, why speculate when we can just sit back, relax and watch what happens? :cool:

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
No, only stupid n00bs take that approach!

The intelligent, reasoned individual should choose a side, find as much negative rumor/conjecture about the other side as possible, and use that as a basis to make angry flaming posts about why their side is soooo much better. By the same token, similar rumors about the side you have chosen are either lies spread by the 'opposition' [if bad] or the gospel truth [if good].

Oh yeah - trying to use logic, or be open minded is a <i>definite</i> no-no. That's a stupid thing to do...

:evil:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Extract taken from "Chippy's Guide to being a fanboy" - only $39.99<font color=red>*</font color=red> in all good bookshops!

<pre><font color=red>*</font color=red>Willingness to pay that price is in itself an intellectual qualification for fanboyism itself.</pre><p> :wink:

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

pIII_Man

Splendid
Mar 19, 2003
Pentium M is impressive tech.
Other than an added insturction set, a faster fsb (but same bus), cache, and some powersaving options, how does it really differ from a piii?

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm... yes, but a P3 cannot scale to 1.7Ghz like P-M can.

Plus, you make it sound as if an added instruction set, a faster fsb, extra cache and powersaving options were no big deal. This is a bit extreme... think of A64: it has exactly those things: "improved" fsb (because it actually has none), extra cache, extra instruction set (x86-64)... so those things you mentioned are a big deal!...

:evil: <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles

Snorkius

Splendid
Sep 16, 2003
---------------------
>>Willingness to pay that price is in itself an intellectual qualification for fanboyism itself.
---------------------

No need to buy the book now. You should buy a book on basic marketing.

<font color=blue>If the <font color=yellow>laurel</font color=yellow> is to big for your head, it becomes a hoola-hoop, and you have to keep your butt really busy.</font color=blue>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
I looked at your Benchmarks for the 2001 SE and I can see you almost achieve the 100 FPS for the low detail tests but your scores for the high detail are down. Since you are running a Radeon 9800 @128 MB 2/4 AGP the reason your FPS are a little down could be the RAM at PC2700 if you went to the PC3200 Memory I can see your FPS go over 100 FPS for low detail and the High detail should come up into the 70 FPS range using the current CPU you have.
I have Radeon 9000 (non-PRO), not Radeon 9800 :lol:

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>

TRENDING THREADS