5Si Mx and power-on issues

Hello,

my 5Si Mx has problems getting to work, especially when waking up from
power save, but also when being cold started. The printer will wake up and
initialize the warm up sequence, while the receiving data indicator begins
to blink. The printer will either show "processing job" and then switch to
"ready" without having printed anything (while the receiving data indicator
still is green) or just show a 56.x error, again, without printing.

Switching the printer off and on again normally fixes the issues, however,
print jobs have to be resent or restarted which is quite inconvenient.

It's a normal 5Si to which postscript interpreter SIMM, a JetDirect 4100a
MIO network card and a duplex unit (C4782a) were added. Seems to me that
most of the troubles began when the network card was installed. The printer
has a formatter board out of 1996 and 50MB RAM which worked fine before.

Has anyone ever had such problems? How did you fix it? May it be a power
issue? The printer runs on the same circuit as the rest of my equipment
(that is: Scanner, UPS, Visualize X550, 2 switches, 2 large screens, ...).

Thanks in advance for any advice you could possibly give.

"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with
money, from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and
rebellion during a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-
driven press! It's nightmarish!" (Gibson-Sterling, "The
Difference Engine")

The 56.x error indicates that an invalid input source or output destination has
been selected. x=1 for input, and x=2 for output. If the jobs being printed
are known to be correct, I would consider swapping the MIO card for another.
Garbled Ethernet frames could be the cause of the problems. If another MIO card
is not readily available, connect one computer directly to the 5Si via a
parallel port to see if either printing is OK or the same symtoms occur.

The cause could also be power-related. LaserJets consume a lot of wattage when
they warm up. I have a LaserJet 5M on the same main circuit as this computer.
The computer is attached to a very robust UPS. When the LaserJet warms up, the
UPS clicks in and out of backup mode, and even then the computer occasionally
locks up... Ben Myers

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:59:31 +0200, Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?D=FCrrhauer?=
<cduerr@geog.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>my 5Si Mx has problems getting to work, especially when waking up from
>power save, but also when being cold started. The printer will wake up and
>initialize the warm up sequence, while the receiving data indicator begins
>to blink. The printer will either show "processing job" and then switch to
>"ready" without having printed anything (while the receiving data indicator
>still is green) or just show a 56.x error, again, without printing.
>
>Switching the printer off and on again normally fixes the issues, however,
>print jobs have to be resent or restarted which is quite inconvenient.
>
>It's a normal 5Si to which postscript interpreter SIMM, a JetDirect 4100a
>MIO network card and a duplex unit (C4782a) were added. Seems to me that
>most of the troubles began when the network card was installed. The printer
>has a formatter board out of 1996 and 50MB RAM which worked fine before.
>
>Has anyone ever had such problems? How did you fix it? May it be a power
>issue? The printer runs on the same circuit as the rest of my equipment
>(that is: Scanner, UPS, Visualize X550, 2 switches, 2 large screens, ...).
>
>Thanks in advance for any advice you could possibly give.
>
>--
>mit freundlichen Grüßen/with kind regards
>Christian Dürrhauer, Institute of Geography, FU Berlin
>
>"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with
>money, from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and
>rebellion during a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-
>driven press! It's nightmarish!" (Gibson-Sterling, "The
>Difference Engine")

On the seventh day, ben_myers_spam_me_not wrote...

> The cause could also be power-related. LaserJets consume a lot of wattage when
> they warm up. I have a LaserJet 5M on the same main circuit as this computer.
> The computer is attached to a very robust UPS. When the LaserJet warms up, the
> UPS clicks in and out of backup mode, and even then the computer occasionally
> locks up... Ben Myers

That's what I thought, too. Yesterday, my UPS clicked, room lights suddenly
went off and on again and my server rebooted, while my workstation remained
online thanks to the UPS.

I think, I first try to put the printer onto another circuit. My equipment
changed recently, and so might the needed wattage.

Thanks for your input, I hope it will solve the issues.

--
with kind regards