xlodo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Sorry for the OT, not sure where to post this.

When you buy a retail mobo at newegg, how do they pack it? does the mobo box come inside a bigger box? If yes, how much bigger? If you had an exact size that'd be great. If you had similar info for HDs, CPUs, I'd appreciate that.
This is because I'm about to place an order for a new computer, however I don't live in the States so I use a service that will ship everything to my country, however they charge by volumetrical size. For example, assuming a mobo comes in a box that measures 17x4x17 inches costs me $23 in my front door, including shipping+custom taxes, which is not that bad (even though it's a 1/4 of what I'm paying for the frigging thing). However a friend of mine just ordered an AIW9600pro that came in an even bigger box from Amazon and he ended up paying $50. I don't want that so any advice from you guys would be great.
Also, do you know any hardware sites that gift wrap? that way I don't have to pay customs.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xlodo on 11/27/03 08:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

xlodo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2003
Do you know how big/heavy? The thing is that one of the companies charges depending on volume, the other one on actual weight. So if I had more exact measures I'd knew which one to use. I'm thinking the one for actual weight should be the one, but not sure...

I would call newegg and explain your situation to them, and see if they can use a smaller container. Fedex has a container that's strong enough to ship a mobo, and is the perfect size, but it's marked for airmail, which you may want anyway.