2/2.1 Sound sytem for Gaming + Sound card for 2-300$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rissen1k

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
Hi,

I am looking to buy in the future a NICE LOOKING and with BEST SOUND for the money 2/2.1 (5.1 is overkill for my desk plus I got a 7.1 Cinema System already)system and Sound Card.
I saw some recommend Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 for the speakers but the reviews are mixed like low end bass is bad(crap I don't know what they mean :)).
One thing please don't recommend me Logitech or Creative, I just don't like those brands and their speakers are ugly(no offence to anyone).

As for sound card I have no idea, I had a Creative XFI Xtreame Gamer but their software was shxxxt and buggy.

Please recommend me some speaker system and a sound card to go with that wouldn't break the bank. Max for both 300$.

PS: Design and some bright colors would be nice.
something like this :)

Solution
i owned the klipsch pro media 2.1 set for a few days and the bass was absolutely rediculous. it overpowered the satelite speakers so bad it wasnt even funny. its a nice looking and well built set though provided you dont crank the sub up past 10-15%. i returned the set and ended up going with a full klipsch home theater set which is much better balanced (and out of this price range too)

as far as logitech goes, for decent low to mid level speaker systems for a pc they do a fine job. some sets arent the prettiest in the world true, but they work. i still have a 7-8 year old set that still works. i know you said you werent interested, just figured i'd offer an opinion.

personally i'd listen to the speakers and get something that sounds...

jdc122

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
hey there!

I can't help you much on the, sound card side of things, I've asked something similar in my own thread, but i can say the best 2.1 set i've ever used are these;

http://www.harmankardon.com/EN-US/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?PID=SOUNDSTICKS3AM

had the original set for the last 7 years, been sat faithfully on my desk all that time, never had a single problem with them, sound is accurate even at high volume and bass levels, and trust me, both go VERY high :D sure, this is biased, but i love these speakers! :)

i owned the klipsch pro media 2.1 set for a few days and the bass was absolutely rediculous. it overpowered the satelite speakers so bad it wasnt even funny. its a nice looking and well built set though provided you dont crank the sub up past 10-15%. i returned the set and ended up going with a full klipsch home theater set which is much better balanced (and out of this price range too)

as far as logitech goes, for decent low to mid level speaker systems for a pc they do a fine job. some sets arent the prettiest in the world true, but they work. i still have a 7-8 year old set that still works. i know you said you werent interested, just figured i'd offer an opinion.

personally i'd listen to the speakers and get something that sounds good and worry about looks later. most of the "pretty" pc sets are gimmicky and not worth the money with a few notable exceptions.

as far as sound cards go, you dont really need anything expensive unless you want the options. i've always preferred soundblaster's software suite but go with whichever brand has software you like. i hear you...some of the software out there is dreadful.

@jdc

i've never had hk speakers but i've heard that that model actually does sound decent and is one of the exceptions when it comes to "pretty speakers". we all have our own tastes though. i hear you on the very high comment.... the subs on the logitechs can shake walls too.

Solution

jdc122

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
the HK's are very high quality, they were originally designed to compliment apple computers with both function and style, and were only available in apple stores.

although I'm a devout windows fan, I convinced my dad shell out, take the oversea's journey and buy these the day they came out from a John Lewis store, and I've never regretted it, although I'm sure my neighbours do! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.