SoundBlaster Live/Value Sound Card Come with an Audio Out ..

My Dell 4300 comes with a SoundBlaster Live/Value sound card. I am
trying to route the audio to my TV, then I can play recorded TV shows
(in MPEG) in the TV. But I don't seem to find a way to connect the
audio output to the TV. Please help.

The sound card comes with various ports at the back, and it also has a
head phone jack to the front of the computer case. The ports at the
back are:
- 2 for speakers
- 1 for microphone that is not being used
- 1 is an Line-In that I connect the audio cable from my DirecTV
decoder box
- 1 is called Digital Audio that is not being used (I have no idea
what it is)

I have tried to connect my TV to the Digital Audio port. But it
doesn't work (obviously because the TV is expecting analog audio).

I don't bother to try the microphone port because that is for voice
input, not output.

Is connecting to the headphone jack the only one out? If this is the
case, I may as well forget about this and listen to the audio from the
PC speaker directly (I don't want to see a cable constantly being
plugged into the front of the PC).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jay Chan
10 answers Last reply
More about soundblaster live value sound card audio

    Connect it to the green speaker out connector. Works fine to a TV or
    amplifier.

    Tom
    "Jay Chan" <jaykchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My Dell 4300 comes with a SoundBlaster Live/Value sound card. I am
    > trying to route the audio to my TV, then I can play recorded TV shows
    > (in MPEG) in the TV. But I don't seem to find a way to connect the
    > audio output to the TV. Please help.
    >
    > The sound card comes with various ports at the back, and it also has a
    > head phone jack to the front of the computer case. The ports at the
    > back are:
    > - 2 for speakers
    > - 1 for microphone that is not being used
    > - 1 is an Line-In that I connect the audio cable from my DirecTV
    > decoder box
    > - 1 is called Digital Audio that is not being used (I have no idea
    > what it is)
    >
    > I have tried to connect my TV to the Digital Audio port. But it
    > doesn't work (obviously because the TV is expecting analog audio).
    >
    > I don't bother to try the microphone port because that is for voice
    > input, not output.
    >
    > Is connecting to the headphone jack the only one out? If this is the
    > case, I may as well forget about this and listen to the audio from the
    > PC speaker directly (I don't want to see a cable constantly being
    > plugged into the front of the PC).
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    > Jay Chan

    > Connect it to the green speaker out connector. Works fine to a TV or
    > amplifier.

    I am wondering what I should do with the PC speakers then. If I use
    the speaker out port to connect to TV, the PC speakers will not be
    connecting to anything, right? Am I missing something?

    Jay Chan

    >> Connect it to the green speaker out connector. Works fine to a TV or
    >> amplifier.
    >
    > I am wondering what I should do with the PC speakers then. If I use
    > the speaker out port to connect to TV, the PC speakers will not be
    > connecting to anything, right? Am I missing something?
    >
    > Jay Chan

    Go to Radio Shack (etc.) and find a splitter/adapter.

    Stew

    speakers in TV *OR* PC speakers, pick one!

    "Jay Chan" <jaykchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Connect it to the green speaker out connector. Works fine to a TV or
    > > amplifier.
    >
    > I am wondering what I should do with the PC speakers then. If I use
    > the speaker out port to connect to TV, the PC speakers will not be
    > connecting to anything, right? Am I missing something?
    >
    > Jay Chan

    "Jay Chan" <jaykchan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Connect it to the green speaker out connector. Works fine to a TV or
    > > amplifier.
    >
    > I am wondering what I should do with the PC speakers then. If I use
    > the speaker out port to connect to TV, the PC speakers will not be
    > connecting to anything, right? Am I missing something?

    THIS WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM:

    The green port is for the speakers for a normal PC setup (and also for the
    front speakers of a 4-point or faux "surround" setup).. The black port is
    for the rear speakers in a surround setup. You should be able to connect the
    PC speakers to the green port and your TV to the black port and be just
    fine. (The same audio is sent to both ports by default or when in
    "non-surround" mode). This functions just like the splitter (Or Y-cord)
    another poster recommended. Except it's much more efficient and sounds
    better.

    You will need a special cord to hook up the Soundblaster to the TV (I'm
    assuming your TV uses RCA jacks). You need at 1/8"-stereo-to-dual-RCA chord
    like this:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F003%5F009&product%5Fid=42%2D2483.
    (Be sure to get one long enough for your needs). The single pointed
    connecter goes into the SBLive's black port and the two RCA connectors on
    the other end go to the TV (Red for right channel, White for left channel).
    If you're into electronics you may have enough components around the house
    to make one of these up with a few adapters.

    > The green port is for the speakers for a normal PC setup (and also for the
    > front speakers of a 4-point or faux "surround" setup).. The black port is
    > for the rear speakers in a surround setup. You should be able to connect the
    > PC speakers to the green port and your TV to the black port and be just
    > fine. (The same audio is sent to both ports by default or when in
    > "non-surround" mode). This functions just like the splitter (Or Y-cord)
    > another poster recommended. Except it's much more efficient and sounds
    > better.

    Good to hear that there is a solution to my problem. I will try to
    experiment with this and see what happens.

    If somehow this doesn't work, I will try the splitter that another
    newsgroup member has suggested.

    > You will need a special cord to hook up the Soundblaster to the TV (I'm
    > assuming your TV uses RCA jacks). You need at 1/8"-stereo-to-dual-RCA chord
    > like this:

    Thanks. I will go looking for it.

    Jay Chan

    > > The green port is for the speakers for a normal PC setup (and also for
    the
    > > front speakers of a 4-point or faux "surround" setup).. The black port
    is
    > > for the rear speakers in a surround setup. You should be able to connect
    the
    > > PC speakers to the green port and your TV to the black port and be just
    > > fine. (The same audio is sent to both ports by default or when in
    > > "non-surround" mode). This functions just like the splitter (Or Y-cord)
    > > another poster recommended. Except it's much more efficient and sounds
    > > better.
    >
    > Good to hear that there is a solution to my problem. I will try to
    > experiment with this and see what happens.
    >
    > If somehow this doesn't work, I will try the splitter that another
    > newsgroup member has suggested.

    If it doesn't work before you go out and buy a splitter be sure to look in
    the Creative Surround Mixer app (in their Start Menu). You may have to
    fiddle with a few things there to turn the sound on (but I think it's on by
    default).

    > If it doesn't work before you go out and buy a splitter be sure to look in
    > the Creative Surround Mixer app (in their Start Menu). You may have to
    > fiddle with a few things there to turn the sound on (but I think it's on by
    > default).

    Thanks for the tip. I will try this in this evening or tomorrow
    evening.

    I didn't your last tip last night because I was struggling to get the
    S-video thing to work -- and the S-video thing still doesn't work. But
    that is a different story.

    Jay Chan

    I decided to get a splitter and used it to connect to the green
    speaker port in my PC. It works.

    I didn't try your tip of "not-using-the-splitter but
    use-black-port-for-TV and green-port-for-PC-speaker" because I still
    don't understand why that tip could work considering the fact that
    both the green port and the black port in my PC have already been used
    and are not free. I hope you don't feel offended.

    Jay Chan

    >I decided to get a splitter and used it to connect to the green
    > speaker port in my PC. It works.
    >
    > I didn't try your tip of "not-using-the-splitter but
    > use-black-port-for-TV and green-port-for-PC-speaker" because I still
    > don't understand why that tip could work considering the fact that
    > both the green port and the black port in my PC have already been used
    > and are not free. I hope you don't feel offended.
    >
    > Jay Chan

    Whatever works. This has been a helpful thread on an issue that doesn't come
    up a lot.

    Thanks,

    Stew

Dell TV Audio Sound Cards Computers