Loose LCD Connector on 8600?

Bruce

Hi,

I've got a 3-month old Inspiron 8600 wide screen.

A week ago or so, the images displayed on the screen during boot up
changed.

Normally, I'd get the Dell boot screen with the Dell logo and press F2 or
F12, etc, followed by the Windows XP Home Edition screen, followed by
Welcome, with Windows loading.

The Dell boot screen and the Windows XP Home Edition screen stopped
appearing. During the time that they should appear, I'd get 25 seconds
of black, after which Windows loaded up nicely.

I susptected the two missing screens were loading, but for some reason,
not displaying. I ported the video signal from the laptop to a crt, and
lo and behold, the Dell boot and Windows XP Home Edition screens loaded
as they should.

I disconnected the crt, and tried the laptop again, but this time the lcd
remained black the entire time. Nothing. Nada. Things were loading up;
I could hear them, and I heard the Windows XP little song come on.

I called Dell. They told me to remove the keyboard and reseat the lcd
connector. I did, and all was well.

Anyone know why initially only two screen were missing?

Why the entire thing went black?

I don't believe reseating the connector fixed a poor (or loose)
mechanical connection. Could this have reset a s/w problem the card may
have been having?

Just curious,
Bruce

Bruce

Bruce <parcxman@netscape.net> wrote in

> The Dell boot screen and the Windows XP Home Edition screen stopped
> appearing. During the time that they should appear, I'd get 25
> seconds of black, after which Windows loaded up nicely.

Well, the above problem is back again!

Nuts.