Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Comp, Will the old OEM windows work?

Last response: in Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:15:03 PM

Hello everyone, I am just about to build a new computer, but need to know if I can use my OEM windows in my current desktop.
Following the guide here:http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_wi...

I downloaded Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, when try to install Windows to the SSD, will my OEM product key work?
I am wondering because the iso says X17-58997 and when I use Magical Jelly Bean finder it says Product Part No.:X15-37379.
I dont want to spend !00 on OME Windows 7 HP, nor windows 8 for 50$, I do have a windows 7 Pro, upgrade key.

More about : comp oem windows work

November 16, 2012 9:18:02 PM

PS. I am also reusing the 1TB HDD, but want to put windows in an SDD.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:25:54 PM

Hi :) 

No, what you are considering is ILLEGAL...

We all have to buy our Windows, so do you...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2012 9:36:26 PM

It shouldn't be illegal, as I bought the computer. I should be licensed to use Windows 7 Home Premium OEM.
Never mind it is. Mind as well buy windows 8 for 54$.
Score
November 16, 2012 9:40:08 PM

phantom1 said:
It shouldn't be illegal, as I bought the computer. I should be licensed to use Windows 7 Home Premium OEM.

you have a upgrade disc.. not a full install disc... you're only entitled to a upgrade (from windows xp/vista i presume) and not a clean install...

there's a reason that upgrades are cheaper than a full oem/retail copy.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:40:21 PM

phantom1 said:

Brett is correct.

OEM licenses are for 1 computer and 1 computer only. They are none transferable.
RETAIL licenses (as long as you completely remove from the computer) May be transferred to a new computer and also cost about $85 more.

You need to buy a new copy of windows 7 if you wish to build your own.
Score

Best solution

November 16, 2012 9:49:04 PM

answer is technically no, but real answer is maybe.

During the registration screen, you maybe prompted to call microsoft or find the number for microsoft.

You can call microsoft and give them your story saying you upgraded; your old computer is now junked and will never be used anymore(Don't lie).
You may find in practice they give you a new key.
They don't have to do this, but they often do. If they don't give you a key, then you didn't lose anything.

For people saying this is illegal: It's not. I'm not telling the OP to lie or misrepresent themselves. If Microsoft wants to give you a new free key then take it.

An analogy is like a restaurant giving you a free dessert. Unless you're a government employee or a politician under scrutiny for bribes/misconduct, pretty much you take the dessert and say thank you.
November 16, 2012 9:52:03 PM

Best answer selected by phantom1.
Score
November 16, 2012 9:53:26 PM

raytseng said:

During the registration screen, you maybe prompted to call microsoft or find the number for microsoft.

You can call microsoft and give them your story saying you upgraded; your old computer is now junked and will never be used anymore(Don't lie).
They don't have to do this, but they often do. If they don't give you a key, then you didn't lose anything.

For people saying this is illegal: It's not. I'm not telling the OP to lie or misrepresent themselves. If Microsoft wants to give you a new free key then take it.

An analogy is like a restaurant giving you a free dessert.

I was going to reuse the HDD, and will scrap the MOBO, thanks for the info.
Score
November 16, 2012 9:53:37 PM

just don't complain or be disappointed if it turns out MSFT says what everyone else says and you need to get a new license.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:54:02 PM

raytseng said:

An analogy is like a restaurant giving you a free dessert. Unless you're a government employee or a politician under scrutiny, pretty much you take the dessert and say thank you.

Hes not even said hes junking the old machine...as I read it , he wants to use the key on BOTH machines, WHICH IS ILLEGAL...

Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:54:21 PM

raytseng said:

During the registration screen, you maybe prompted to call microsoft.

An analogy is like a restaurant giving you a free dessert.

It's still wrong. And 100% Against MICROSOFT'S rules for an OEM license. The "call center" your contacting is normally Philippine based and third party. Typically companies like Sitel, Convergys etc etc. Just because someone on the other line Activates it for you does not mean it's right. It's a shady practice and should not be used as advice on these forums. It's the same concept as me calling AT&T and being able to activate my new "stolen" phone because the rep on the other end is either A to lazy to check or B doesn't know the proper procedures.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:56:08 PM

And now even worse you've been chosen as the best answer for an answer that is foul. This thread should be deleted so people searching for an answer are not miss-informed
Score
November 16, 2012 9:56:48 PM

Brett928S2 said:

Hes not even said hes junking the old machine...as I read it , he wants to use the key on BOTH machines, WHICH IS ILLEGAL...

Sorry I forgot to mention that. It's really all I can say. if I am salvaging the harddrive where the Win7 is contained, how will I be able to use it in the other computer? It is my fault I did not mention that I was not going to use both systems(but could be assumed because the HardDrive is being put in the new Comp).

Edit: Called them, they said it's fine, but they will only do it once.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 9:59:45 PM

phantom1 said:
Sorry I forgot to mention that. It's really all I can say. if I am salvaging the harddrive where the Win7 is contained, how will I be able to use it in the other computer? It is my fault I did not mention that I was not going to use both systems(but could be assumed because the HardDrive is being put in the new Comp).

OEM license are tied to the motherboard of the original machine. Not the hard drive. You need to buy a new copy.

From Microsofts website. Don't care what the activation center says as it's usually not microsoft owned
License Transfers*
OEM Software may NOT be transferred to another machine. Even if the original laptop, PC or Server is no longer in use, or if the software is removed from the original hardware, OEM licenses are tied to the device on which the software is first installed.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w...
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:01:19 PM

phantom1 said:

Edit: Called them, they said it's fine, but they will only do it once.

I bet you did not tell them you are building a totally new machine, now did you ?

Score
November 16, 2012 10:01:31 PM

To each their own, but I'll go back to the free dessert analogy.

Your argument gives too much credit to microsoft corp's lawyers and no credit to their employees (or contractors). If we follow your logic, then the call center can never give out any exception to the license agreement and they basically have no power.

It is not your business to tell microsoft how to run their callcenter, if they wish to give out free licenses when you've done nothing fraudulent and tell your story completely truthfully, why are you against it. That's their business to train their employees properly.
Maybe from their perspective they are winning you over as an actual customer that actually PAID for the software at least one, versus the hordes of piraters.

Again, I will say, DON'T Lie, don't misrepresent yourself, tell the whole story.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:02:25 PM

Love how Tom's is becoming a haven for shady crap... Out for the night..

Lol have a good one Brett we tried mate ;) .
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:04:00 PM

I've done it before when someones motherboard died, called to activate, explained and they gave me an activation code. It's a crappy thing that you can't replace your motherboard that may die on an old pc without needing a new windows. Glad Windows 8 scrapped that.

Building a whole new pc and wanting to use it, no. Replacing a motherboard that died of no fault of yours, well, sucks and MS has reactivated that for me for customers before.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:04:21 PM

raytseng said:
To each their own, but I'll go back to the free dessert analogy.

Your argument gives too much credit to microsoft. If we follow your logic, then the call center can never give out any exception to the license agreement and they basically have no power.

It is not your business to tell microsoft how to run their callcenter, if they wish to give out free licenses when you've done nothing fraudulent and tell your story completely truthfully, why are you against it.
Maybe from their perspective they are winning you over as an actual customer that actually PAID for the software at least one, versus the hordes of piraters.

Again, I will say, DON'T Lie, don't misrepresent yourself, tell the whole story.

And by your logic doing something shady (theft, tagging, vandalism) It's ok as long as you smooth talk your way through it. Wrong is wrong there is no shade of grey. Have a good night.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:04:42 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Love how Tom's is becoming a haven for shady crap... Out for the night..

Lol have a good one Brett we tried mate ;) .

I know...sigh...

Sleep well, with a clean conscience...

Score
November 16, 2012 10:05:08 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I bet you did not tell them you are building a totally new machine, now did you ?

The guys said it's fine. What else can I say?
Have a Good Night Sir.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:06:02 PM

getochkn said:
I've done it before when someones motherboard died, called to activate, explained and they gave me an activation code. It's a crappy thing that you can't replace your motherboard that may die on an old pc without needing a new windows. Glad Windows 8 scrapped that.

You can replace a motherboard if it dies. With a like motherboard.. and if a like model is no longer made there rules explain you can exchange it for another one..... You simply cannot build or buy a different machine and transfer the license.. Thats what retail licenses are for.

But tired of educating the uneducated. Google the terms of service for the licenses people.. Thanks.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:06:36 PM

getochkn said:

They will often let you reactivate if you replace your MOTHERBOARD (ONLY).... but the OP is building a whole new machine , that's VERY different legally...

Score
November 16, 2012 10:08:03 PM

unoriginal1 said:
And by your logic doing something shady (theft, tagging, vandalism) It's ok as long as you smooth talk your way through it. Wrong is wrong there is no shade of grey. Have a good night.

Nowhere did I say to lie or smoothtalk. If OP chose to lie and didn't say he was building a new machine, sorry i didn't catch that. That's on his conscience.
I've done this before and gave the whole truth and said the other computer is right over there going to be junked, the rep understood that and still gave me a key.

Correct analogy:
If you talk to the owner of the building and you say I would like to spraypaint my name on your wall, and he says "go ahead and spray paint it, here I'll even help you with the spray process and talk you through it. Is there anything else I can do for you?"

I don't see how that is different.

Do you decline free airline upgrades if they offer that to you?

meh. anyway, OP's is answered

If you want to get into it by the letter of the law, all the people who bought OEM System Builders licenses for their builds (which is the high majority here) are also violating the strict terms of their license.
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:24:26 PM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
November 16, 2012 10:24:45 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
!