Mouse disconnecting and then reconnecting randomly

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreass

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Hello!

I've been having these issues for the last 2 weeks where my mouse disconnect and then reconnects (1-8 seconds). Sometimes you here the windows sound of connecting hardware, sometimes you don't. It is not the mouse that is faulty because I've tried it on a friends computer without any issues, I have also tried other mice on my own with the same issues. However the mouse I mainly use, a Logitech G9, does seem to disconnect more often than my much older Logitech MX300.

I've been looking around the web and read several threads about similar issues. But none of them seem to have actuelly solved it.

I have tried uninstalling all the software from Logitech (Setpoint), no luck there. Someone gave the tip of uninstalling the drivers from Control Panel>Mouse>properties etc.. No luck there. I have disabled the function that can turn of the mouse for energy saving purposes. No luck there. I've been into the Registry and cleaned out some Logitech Setpoint entries that I could find (possible I've missed some). So now I can't think of anything else to try. I'd prefer to NOT have to reformat.

I did also just try to plug in my screen usb-hub on my Samsung 2493HM in case that might have had it's own power supply. But that didn't do any difference.

Something I could mention is that there was a Windows update on the 31 of october that updated "Realtek driver update for Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller". And my problems started occuring a couple of days after this I believe.

I hope there are some wise people out there that can help me :)

Kind Regards
Andreas

My system:
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T SE
2x WD Black 500GB
1000W PSU
Asus Nvidia 280GTX
6 GB Kingston HyperX

G

I think I would look in Windows Device Manager and see if there's a resource conflict that can be fixed.

G

Control Panel, System, Device Manager:

Have look at any entry for the mouse or, perhaps, USB -- there will normally be a message stating "no resource conflicts". If it says there is a resource conflict you can fiddle with IRQs and Interrupts and Memory Address. Personally I would rather go into the BIOS screens (see manual for how) and disable any ports which are not in use and then restart Windows a couple of times and see if that sorts out the resources for you.

scrabbular

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Hi - this is a 'me too' post.

I have an Advent Roma 2001 laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium, and not much else installed of note. Ever since I connected a USB mouse I have been getting the disconnect/reconnect problem every few seconds while I use the mouse. It is getting to be unbearable and I really need some help please.

It is not the mouse. It works fine elsewhere and I've tried other known good USB mice and got the same problem.

I can't be sure, but it feels like it happens more often when the screen is more 'busy' or
the computer is loading something. (This may be a red herring).

I have tried different USB ports - no difference.

I can't see any resource conflicts.

HELP !!! (thanks )

nolan_vode

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
For several weeks now I have had this problem with my microsoft optical mouse randomly & spontaneously disconnecting.

A simple usb unplug & replug fixed reconnected it

I also had one occasion when my keyboard also mysteriously disconnected.

I have this kind of wierdness in the past with my usb flash drives; either not connecting when plugged in or losing the connection, but I assumed it was due to a faulty drive. One day recently, I had my usb drive plugged in, and over several minutes I was delivered with a series of those usb plug/unplug sound alerts. I didnt make the mental connection at the time what was causing it, since my mouse was working.

After I started thinking about it, it all seemed to begin after I installed my APC ups power backup, but i called APC & their opinino was that the battery backup was not contributing to the cause

i bought a wireless mouse to replace my optical, hoping that might do it. However, when I plugged in my flash drive next to the wireless mouse usb port, it immediately broke my wireless mouse connection.

I tried it again, pulling both devices and replugging, which reproduced the problem.

I then removed the wireless plugin and replaced it with my old optical mouse. No problem.

The reason I am telling this long story is that, even though I'm still not absolutely sure what the cause is, I may have found t something I hope will keep the symptoms to a minimum.

Searching for a solution, I discovered the following suggestion: Go to the device manager. Select "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". In that sub menu, Next double click the first "USB Root Hub" entry. Next select the "Power Management" tab, and uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

This stopped the flash drive from interfering with my wireless mouse connection, but it's still early in the experiment, and even as I write this using my optical mouse, I have heard that disconnect/reconnect warning several times. So far I haven't had to physically reconnect the device.

Could some one please explain what the other effects, if any, will be by unchecking this setting?

thx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
XP PRO SP3, USB 2.O
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5GC-MX Rev x.xx
2.67 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS
2 GB ddr2

taliyan

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

i have the same problem... and really want to find out the solution as well

yo4444

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Same issue, ONLY HAPPENS when STEAM is running.

winxp64
Razer Copperhead

Drives me batty, and I am hearing that it has been happening to a lot of people on CS:S lately

Anyone have a solution?

G

Hey Andreass I was having same problem, this link seems to fix it but am still unsure as it's just a couple minutes past since i unchecked the power option from device manager. give it a try.

G

problem seems gone after i uninstalled all my mouse from device manager and restarted PC using keyboard...

skruf

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I have this problem as well, and I am running 64 bit win 7.

I noticed one common thing with a quick search, this problem seems to be happening only to 64 bit users.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

i AGREE... I currently having this problem on 64 bit... It never happen When I was using 32 bit...

BTW, I found the solution... Turn off Click Lock under Mouse settings in Control Panel.

idcirco

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
SOLVED FOR ME!

I had the same problem. It turned out that I had switched power management schemes on my laptop and the new scheme had a USB "selective suspend" setting enabled. It was shutting off the USB mouse to save power. Disabling this did the trick.

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

how to disable it?

dudeoneoned

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I have the same problem. I have win7 32 bit and have tried everything on this thread with no use

I was able to run a live disk of windows xp and still get the same problem.

which leads me to believe it's a hardware issue.

It could be either the PSU not sending enough juice
or the MOBO usb ports are loosing power.

And I think the only way to determine if it's the PSU is by testing out the power output at the MOBO power cable from the psu.

finalespenta

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012

go to power options - high performance - change advanced power settings double click USB settings and disable USB selective suspend setting

khodari

Honorable
Aug 27, 2012
I tried disabling mouse gestures. It works. See how:

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-disable-aero-shake-in-windows-7/

I did the registry modification.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Ugh I have this same problem...I have a new system too (3 months old) so I really hope it's not the motherboard. I've tried the software solutions like disabling selective suspend and the USB drivers power mgmt trick. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the mouse.

I haven't tried uninstalling the USB drivers though..Is that worth ago? Will Windows just re-install them when I restart?

I've now ordered a new mouse since various forums suggest it could be the cable. I have an Alienware Tact-X mouse. There's no particular drivers for it that i can find. It's old but it's not really been used which is why i didn't think it would be that. I suppose it could be faulty. Oh and this problem mostly happens during gaming but it has happened whilst just in windows too.

I really I hope it's just the mouse since I've exhausted all the software ideas i think.

I should add that during gaming when it happens it will reconnect say 2 or 3 times but then it will just give up and i'll have to plug it into another usb hub.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

I have Windows 7 but I don't see this path in regedit? ;
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

I only have HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Also trying gpedit.msc in the run box doesn't find anything.

elarive

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
I have been having this problem for about 6 months, and I am at the end of my rope.

I have tried re-installing the driver, turning off "click-lock", changing the mouse power settings, and changing the usb port power settings. I have no errors on the mouse or the tower, and I do not believe it is a problem with the mouse itself.

Any suggestions?

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012

I've ordered a new mouse that arrives today so I'm praying that'll fix it. I didn't try uninstalling then reinstalling all USB ports through from the device manager..Have you tried that? I've tried the other things you've listed with no joy.

octoberhungry

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
OK I think has been solved for me! Been gaming for a solid 2 hours and no problems...My solution..A new mouse! I bought a Razer DeathAdder and so far so good.

Rickert

Honorable
Oct 2, 2012
Ok I basically have the same problem: Mouse randomly disconnects, then reconnects
I tried everything in this thread and more and nothing worked.
I tried the powersave settings, disabled gestures, updating drivers, trying different drivers for mouse and chipset, etc
I reinstalled windows and got the error in the setup already.
I got a new mouse, which works perfectly fine with another pc, another keyboard
Changed the mainboard, psu, hard drive, dvd drive and graphic card.
I also build the system with minimal components, naked, even without a case on my desk.
I changed all the cables connecting components and ran the mouse cable far away from any other cable to avoid interference.
And still the problem remains.

I basically build a whole different system, fresh install and mouse still acts up.

It just doesn't make sense to me anymore. Help? Please?

Windows 7 64bit
Intel i5 750
AsRock H55M-LE
8gig DDR3-PC1333 from Kingston
OCZ Agility 3 Sata-3 SSD
AMD Radeon 6670 512MB from MSI
Logitech G400
Cherry G80 3000blue

legendkiller

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Plug your USB mice into other USB port OR get a new mice, could be a defected mice or something... I replaced my mice and it haven't have any problem, i think it's due to defected mice rather than the computer/software

Status
Not open for further replies.